New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Kinver west midlands
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at the layana for 11 nights and could easily have stayed longer. Everything everybody has said in previous reports about the resort are true so I won't bore you by repeating it all again. Excellent value for money. Would return again in a flash. Take advantage of the spa package. Not to be missed. Bliss

Room Tip: Garden pavilion rooms are beautiful. Ask for a second floor. Block 2 was just perfect location .
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Allyandjulie
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have recently returned from Layana,this is my 3rd time,but 1st time under new ownership,and I have to say that everything was as good as it ever was,the new owners have matched the same standards that Bob and Marge achieved.Stefan and Kanin are always on hand to ensure everything runs at its super efficient best.Kanin even dropped everything to run me to the local doctor when I had a slight ear infection,they all really go that extra mile to look after you,if you read Tripadvisor Kanin,thanks a lot again,and thank you for your great company on the sundowner cruise.If you have the slightest itch to visit Layana make sure you scratch that itch at least once in your lifetime,you definately will not regret that decision.

Room Tip: Slash out on a beach suite if you can,and watch the world go by.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alekos
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Layana is simply the best hotel in Thailand. I stayed at Layana with a friend from 9-16 April (during the tsnaumi warnings and evcuation) and twice my friend and I extended my stay,we simply didn't want to leave.

The best way to describe the incredible service at Layana is to give you a peek at what Stefan, Kanin and the whole Layana on staff did for the guests on the day of the tsnaumi evacuation. This, in my view, is the mark of a fine hotel and just genuinely caring and wonderful people that run it. They were all calm, organised and efficient. They brought water, towels, food (full buffet meal from Tides!!) to the evacuation venue to keep us comfortable and arranged wi-fi. They arranged a lovely venue and kept us all as informed as possible to minimise our fear and discofort. Under extreme stress (and doubtless worry for their own families), this exceeded all my expectations and I will be forever grateful for that. Upon our safe return to the resort, Stefan the GM and the staff put on a full buffet for all guests free of charge and free drinks. What a gesture when they must have been exhausted!!

Outside of this amazing service under very arduous conditions, below are the points of excellence that I believe make this resort a five star one:

Service: Exemplary. Nothing is too much trouble ever. Stefan (GM) and Kanin (Dir of Rooms) are always around and constantly ensuring your stay is what you expect, and to see iff they can improve it in any way. The staff: from the pool boys, to Khom in the restaurant, and Pa in the spa (by far the best treatments I've had in Thailand - make sure you ask for her), there was not one staff member that was not helpful and lovely when requested to assist us in some way. Just wonderful.

Rooms: They are so well appointed (air con and ceiling fan are a BIG plus for me), all relevant mod cons (wireless throughout the resort, dvd etc), although the only one small point of criticism I have for Layana is one that's been raised in reviews before. The beds are too hard. After the first night however, this was promptly solved by calling reception, and having them add some layers of doonas (duvets) underneath the sheets and once again Layana perfecftion was restored.

Location: Spectacuar. The grounds of the resort are without fault. Clean and immaculately kept at all times. Yet, it manages not to feel austere or overdone, just right. Being on Prae Ah Beach you are in the middle of things on that beach, a short walk to some cool bars for those of us young enough (in years or spirit) to enjoy that kind of thing.

Food: Fantastic. Every morning we would enjoy a wonderful buffet breakfast, and to convince me that a buffet is a good idea (I usually think they are quite wasteful and gauche), it has to be pretty good. Although we rarely ate at Tides outside of breakfast (which was included), as we had scooters, and really like the basic local restaurants, when we did it was fantastic. The Thai buffet is wonderful - the Penang pork curry is crazy good; as hot as it should be. As to the cocktails, the Coco Loco is AMAZING (and slightly addicitive).

Thank you Layana, we'll be seeing you again, no doubt at all about that.

Room Tip: Garden pavilion rooms are all pretty equal, although I preferred downstairs. Less noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Legally_Blonde1112
St.Helens, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Well there's not much more I can say about this hotel that hasn't already been said. It is truly amazing. My wife and I have been to many places all over the world but have never stayed anywhere that offers the kind of service and surroundings as Layana.

Upon our arrival at Koh Lanta via ferry from Phi Phi we were greeted by the hotel minibus and taken to the resort. When we arrived at the resort we were made to instantly feel like movie stars. The manager, Stefan, greeted us and introduced us to his staff who throughout the stay were, polite, friendly, courteous and helpful. Everyone from Stefan to the gardener and security guard were superb. We were taken to our beach side bugalow (which we were told on Tripadvisor was worth the upgrade) and we were amazed. Large room, spotless, lots of storage space, outside shower and sunken bath. We were brought complimentary drinks to our patio and sat and looked out across the sea, perfect.
As mentioned by people before we had drinks at happy hour and watched the sunset, the coco loco was lovely.

Our first night we went for a stroll down the beach (turn right) where there are lots of bars and restaurants at very reasonable prices and the food is of a good standard. The second night we ate in the hotel. Wow, the steak was to die for, not a bad price either as it was the special for the evening. We ate in the hotel restaurant again on our fourth night and again it didn't disappoint. My wife is quite a fussy eater but even she found the food amazing. Stefan was there both evenings making sure we were enjoying our stay and that everything was up to standard, which it was.
The breakfasts in the morning were fantastic. Lots of choice with a different styles of how you want your eggs each day from benedict to royale which were brought to your table once ordered, no standing around waiting.

The pool area is beautiful, again looking out across the sea. We spent most of our days on the beach as we literally came out of our bungalow and stepped on it. We didn't even have to put our towels on the loungers. As soon as the attendants saw us they would come over, place our towels on the loungers we wanted and put up the parasol. We literally didn't need to lift a finger to do anything. All day complimentary fresh ice cold water would be brought to us on the beach along with cold flannels and frozen pineapple on a stick, this was the life. The beach in front of the hotel is kept clean by the hotel staff which is good as the rest of the beach is quite dirty, and if there were any bad points about our stay in Koh Lanta this would be it. This, of course, has no reflection on the hotel as that was superb, but if your looking for an absolutely stunning beach then it wasn't the best.

Overall our stay at Layana was faultless. We were so disappointed to leave (via the hotel speedboat I may add) and really wish we had stayed longer than four nights. I generally don't like to return to the same place as the world is such a big place and there is so much of it to see but I would definately, definately return to Layana.

A big thank you to Stefan and his team for making us feel like royalty. XX

Room Tip: Beach bungalows 2 or 3 are well worth the upgarde.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Wayne-Jayne
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our 3 nights stay at Layana has been absolutely brilliant from A to … let’s say X. Like many previous reviewers, my wife and I joined the Kanin fans club. The director of rooms is a priceless added value for the resort. He is around night and day, greeting all guests arriving or leaving, and making sure that everyone is enjoying their stay. Thumbs up to the beach and pool staff too, the “blue men”, doing a really great job anytime, taking care of absolutely everything guests would need, i.e. regular refill of fresh water glass, a complimentary service. We had a very nice Garden Room, modern and well furbished, close to the beautiful infinity pool. Layana is located on the lovely Long Beach, an uncrowded 4km long stretch of white sand and crystal blue water.

I did the Ko Phi Phi Tour, a really great day with nice people (guests and staffs). I would anyway suggest to update a bit the program, dropping the stop at uninteresting Ko Phi Phi Don to let guest spend more time at Maya Bay, Bamboo Island or any other paradisiacal spot. While I was off to the islands, my wife went to the spa and the staff managed to provide her a very nice tailored massage as she’s pregnant.

The restaurant offers a very nice view over the beach, it’s where we enjoyed every morning the very good breakfast buffet. But that’s unfortunately the only positive aspect about drink and food at Layana. Both service (very slow, including pool bar) and food (average) were globally disappointing, far to match the high standard of the resort. Therefore we went out in the evening, and we had two cheap and delightful dinners at Klapa Klum Bar, a lovely beach restaurant just 200 meters on the left from the resort. Highly recommended !

There are so many positive thinks to highlight about Layana then I can’t completely condemn it for the mentioned failure. But food and drinks being a key point to me in a resort, Layana don’t deserve a 5* review. Anyway, we had a very nice stay, it’s a very good hotel, and with some improvements, it could really become a true gem. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to return for a while as we gonna become parents soon and it’s an adult only resort…

Room Tip: There is free space next to the property, why not extending it and build a family area ?
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple