“Never again!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 75 Hotels in Kodaikanal
Würzburg, Deutschland
“Never again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

Hotel Apple Valley is very new. So first I thought, that was a plus, because the rooms and the facilities are not yet run down. But: There is still a lot of construction work going on so its very very noisy. And next to the hotel seems to be a mosque, so get a free wake-up call every day at 5 PM! The rooms look at first sight okay, although the furniture is not what you expect in a brand new hotel (brown fake wood, lot of paint stains on it...) But they are still very incomplete: There was no telefon-list, no room-service menu (in a hotel were lunch and dinner is only available on room-service basis!) no door signs ('Privacy please'), no shampoo-samples, nothing! I stayed in an Apple Deluxe Room, what means you have to stay in the basement and the room is very dark. The windows are very weak and one angry look is enough to open them. So I didn´t feel very safe. The "balcony" in front of my windows was not yet finished, so it was just raw cement with a lot of tools laying around. But the view was anyway not nice at all. I looked right onto some houses of the village and dirty streets. Worst about the room was the bathroom: The toilet did not flush and even after a guy from the hotel 'repaired' it it, it was still not working properly. The towels were tiny, more the size of a cleaning rag. The tube of the shower was so short, that I had to go down on my knees to wash my hair. And hot water was only available at certain times (the staff claimed it was 6 AM to 10 PM - but when I wanted to have a shower at 6.15 AM, there was only ice-cold water).
The so claimed 'multi-cuisine restaurant' serves only breakfast and its not multi-cuisine at all. Its very simple south-indian breakfast (idli, dosas, pongal), but no toast, jam or cornflakes. Really annoying: I was called every day in the morning (7.30!) to be asked, if I want to have my breakfast in my room or in the restaurant.
One day I left the hotel very early and there was nobody at the reception desk so I took my key with me. When I returned in the evening my room was not cleaned! The excuse of the staff was that I have not given my key and they cannot enter the room without my permission (you see: door signs would have been helpful)!! Incidents like this show, that Hotel Apple Valley is still very unprofessional. This was my overall feeling during my stay: They try, but nobody in this hotel has real experience how to properly run a hotel! There is always a lot of staff standing around, but somehow things don´t work as they should.
I paid 1,100 INR per night and this hotel is definitely not worth the money!

• Liked — cleanliness of the rooms
  • Disliked — Service, Staff, Restaurant, View, Security
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)