“Good location, ok hotel”
Review of Hotel Grace

Hotel Grace
Ranked #48 of 97 Hotels in Amritsar
Groningen, Netherlands
“Good location, ok hotel”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We didn't book a room in advance and once we arrived in Amritsar we were shocked by how expensive many hotels were. The budget hotels (300 - 500 rp) were too dirty compared to what these rooms look like in other cities (Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Jaipur). We looked at a few more expensive hotels and eventually settled for this one because the staff seemed more friendly than in the other ones. We paid 1000 rp for a double room with ac. Beside some smudges on the sheets the room was ok, but still much worse than the rooms in 7 other cities in North India we visited and it was more expensive than any of those also.

A big plus was that the room was relatively cool. We had a room on the 1st floor at the backside and it was so cool that we didn't even need to keep the ac on all the time. This is a really big advantage because Amritsar was extremely hot at this time of year.

We booked a trip to the Wagah border with them and they give you an honest price. However, for some reason they had not really arranged a taxi for us so we had to wait some time while on of the employers was arguing with taxi drivers. Eventually we were put in a taxi with 4 indians and we had to stop on our way because they wanted to visit some temples. At the end of the trip, we were dropped somewhere in Amritsar with no directions on how to get back to the Golden Temple or the hotel. It looked like other guests in the hotel didn't have this issue, their taxi was waiting for them outside the hotel. So if you book a trip, make sure the taxi is arranged before hand!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

I was looking for a hotel so badly all over Amritsar, 'till the manager found me- hehe. Seems like an exclusive hotel at the beginning, and it is so- you should just pick the quiet rooms, not near the road. Big rooms, you can bargain for the price. Internet and wi-fi, nice staff. You can pay 500 rs for single, though someone wrote she paid 400.

• Stayed July 2012
Kathmandu
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed here with my Nepalese friend for one night in the deluxe room which is a little expensive but worth the money. The room was spacious and clean with en suite. The room was bright and smelled fresh. The room had a T.V. with all the indian and punjab channels and also came with a fridge which was great as it ment we could keep our water freezing cold after returning from the scorching heat of Amritsar. The owner of the hotel was a very friendly cheerful man who spoke good english. After leaving the hotel, i realised i had lost my ring and when i returned to the hotel, one of the members of staff went to my room (which had already been bought by another tourist couple) and searched the room and found my ring. For this, i was really thankful and would recommend the hotel purely on the good service from the staff.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Clean hotel
Wifi in room
Helpful staff
Just round corner from golden temple
Would recommend

• Stayed May 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Good location, very near to Golden Temple. I stayed at hotel Grace for 2 nights in one of the more expensive rooms, because all the other rooms had no window and seemed rather humid. my room was spacious, but a bit humid as well and not all too clean (especially in the shower). the owner and his family were nice and talkative.
what left a bad impression to me: when I was checking out early in the morning, one of the staff was calling me an auto-rikshaw, telling me just some high price. I didn't care about the price because I was in a hurry. but then I saw the staff-guy behind the rikshaw taking some money from the driver - which meant to me, he was taking commission for my high price. altough it happens often in India, it's not a fair behaviour towards your guests...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Amritsar hotels