“heaven”
Review of Kaivalyam Retreat

Kaivalyam Retreat
Ranked #1 of 193 Munnar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This place was a retreat in every sense of the word. I stumbled upon it when I was walking down the road past the tea estate and I veered off the road down a track and found this place. It was like finding a pot of gold at the bottom of a rainbow for me after 3 weeks of staying in hostels/home stays. The stay began with a trek through coffee and cardamon down to the reception area (there is a road, but the manager led me off road through all the undergrowth which was a fascinating start). The couple who own it are lovely. The woman met me and was so kind and interested and interesting and passionate about food and her place. The rooms were immaculate, boutique hotel like, without the prices with the most incredible floor to ceiling windows overlooking a dense valley of cardamon plantation. The Beds were huge and not damp as I found in a few other places up in the Western Ghats as a result of the humidity.

The woman who runs it (I'm sorry I didn't ever get her name) is a fantastic cook and I had the best food there that I had in my whole stay in India. She recommended different things for me to try every night to make sure I tasted a huge variety of typical food both from the South and from further North.

One of the highlights for me was following the gardener down through this dense jungle, picking pepper and cardamon on the way, ducking under huge webs spun by taranjula's and pushing the undergrowth back as we went to come out to the most remote and stunning waterfall down at the bottom of the valley. It was such an incredible experience. En route, I thought I could hear voices, but the undergrowth was so dense, then all of a sudden I heard a shout and thought it odd that there could possibly be another person there as it felt so remote. It was the foreman of this plantation shouting that it was time to take a break, and seeminlgly out of nowhere came 10 or 15 tiny smiling women, from as close as a meter or two away from me with their baskets of cardamon.

During the day if you don't feel like just sitting/practising yoga, exploring the cardamon plantation and walking down to the waterfall, you can walk up the steep track to explore palivassal. The scenery surrounding it stunning, the people super friendly and there is a lovely man, at the top of the hill, selling great Chai and he was great to chat to. There are very few tourists around which for me was great, but as in some other places, you shouldn't want to be in a rush either making your way up to Palivassal or from it as the transport is erratic.

I'd have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this place, I hope to go back one day and I wish the couple who own it and there incredibly friendly staff every success.

Room Tip: Maybe go for one at either end of the row of cottages for even more windowns and light. The upstairs...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Kaivalyam Retreat

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed here for three days. In brief- we want to go back and again enjoy the hospitality provided by Harish and his team. My 8 years old daughter and 16 years old son, just loved the place.
• Rooms were spacious, clean and offered very good view of hills/greenery.
• Food was delicious, nutritious and affordable.
• Spice plantation walk and Yoga was a complete bonus.

Room Tip: Choose first floor rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stayed 4 nights around Christmas and was travelling alone. After reading all the reviews I went along with high expectations but even these were well surpassed and it was definitely the highlight of a fantastic holiday. These are some of the reasons:

Welcoming and friendliness of everyone: Harish and his wife and their whole team are very friendly, helpful and do everything to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Over Xmas they arranged for some bonfires each night which was great and all the time they were thinking of the guests.

--- >To give an indication of their thoughtfulness - when they noticed on my passport I was celebrating my birthday, they surprised me with a birthday cake/candles with the guests all singing happy birthday. To say I was touched was an understatement!

Location. So quiet and scenic with hiking right on the doorstep. Harish will advise some hikes in the immediate vicinity and can arrange a guide if you want to go longer (I took the guided 4-6 hr hike in the mountains from Munnar and it was excellent)

Food, food, food! It had great food in the whole month I was in India but the breakfast and dinners at Kaivalyam was hands down consistently the most tasty. And breakfast was huge (I sort of noticed by Day 4 I was probably eating the same as the couples which may be the reason!!

Rooms/Gardens: The quality of the accommodation is excellent - the room s are really high standard, spacious and attractive with great showers. And the view looking outside is something I couldn't get enough of. Just beautiful.

Yoga: Having the option of 90mins of yoga twice a day was great and Harish's class accommodates all levels. The classes being outdoors was a big bonus too.

In additional to all of this, Harish is extremely organised and manages the bookings very professionally; you can just have piece of mind everything is in place for a great stay.

Although I was on a nightly rate you can check out the weekly rates for the yoga package as this seems like an amazing deal if you have the time.

Room Tip: I heard some people say they couldn't get WIFI in their room. I was in the downstairs room near...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Beautiful place, in-between spice garden n tea garden, trekking to river, serene surroundings n beautiful rooms overlooking valley

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Kaivalyam Retreat was a true reward one can expect after 4 hour long tiring drive from Kochi to Munnar. The very location (on the Hill - slope) surrounded by tea-gardens makes it a perfect Retreat. High standard of cleanliness & hygiene makes it great place for holiday at Munnar. Picture-perfect view of misty-mountains from the retreat makes it more wonderful.The delightful veggies served in breakfast & meals are truly mouth-watering & authentic in taste. The owner - Harish & his wife are perfect hosts. On the occasion of New-year eve, a small party was also arranged by Mr. Harish at the Retreat followed by Tombola & Musical-Chair. Great experience to be guests of Mr. Harish & his wife at Kaivalyam. If the choice is in between Munnar sight-seeing OR stay at Kaivalyam - I will vote for KAIVALYAM RETREAT.

Mayankdost
Nagpur, India

Room Tip: Rooms situated on the first floor gives better view of Misty-Mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family