All reviewshonor systemother guestsevery morningminute walkthe managershonor barrooms are largeyogurtlaid backwest bayocean viewsmall poolplace to staybanana pancakesrooms are greatinfinity poolsun divers
Reviewed 31 July 2008

We recently spent the best weekend in Roatan. A 3 day weekend became a 4 day vacation simply because of the great time we spent lodging at Cocolobo in West End, Roatan. Rory and Claire, the hotel administrators, were such great hosts to us. They were always available to help us with whatever need we had.

We stayed at the Paya Room located on the East Lodge and the ocean front view was stunning! There was no need to go out to the balcony since there were two big sliding french doors towards the balcony that unveiled the beautiful view to the exterior. The room was equiped with a HUGE bed, refrigerator, cable TV and A/C. Of course a hommock in the balcony added an extra resting place to the room.

Cocolobo has a central common building that holds the bar, diner and best of all, the infinity pool! We used the pool at anytime we wanted and time could fly by in it. If we were to use at night a nice candle light was set as a romantic environment. Drinks were always available at the pool side.

Although Cocolobo is not equipped with a restaurant, breakfast was always made at request. A combination of fresh fruit, cereal, orange juice, coffee and a plate with scrambled eggs and toast was served. This plate was changed every day by adding refried beans, avocado or bacon, breakfast was never repeated!

It was a great place to rest! Privacy is a trademark in this place since there is no beach front and for that reason there is no people walking in front of the hotel. The view is exclusively for the hotel guests and makes it an even better place to rest since it is strategically located away from the main strip in West End.

We just returned from our small vacation and can't wait to go back! We really loved this place and are seriously considering it to host our wedding reception!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gmd-gabrie
Reviewed 24 July 2008

I stayed here for two weeks in June, while volunteering for Familias Saludables, an organization in Coxen Hole for women and children living with AIDS. I contacted Cocolobo, explaining there would be 12 of us coming from the US for this volunteer project. They gave us a fantastic rate and treated us like family!
The rooms were beautiful - hard wood floors, overhead fans, A/C and a deck with a hammock and a view to write home about.
We began each day with a complimentary hot breakfast, freshly prepared, always including a large bowl of freshly cut up fruit.
We spent our days rebuilding a woman's home in the woods. We came home hot, sweaty and dirty each day. Returning home to Cocolobo was a treat. It rejuvenated us for the next day.
We even had full body massages on the open deck one night, with the stars overhead and the Caribbean at our head.
There's a small pool at Cocolobo, wireless internet service in the outdoor dining area, and lots of good restaurants and shops within walking distance at West End. Rory and Claire were incredible hosts. We can't wait to see them again next year!

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 21 July 2008

If you are looking for a beautiful place to stay with clean, comfortable rooms then this is the place for you!

I came out to Roatan in April 2008 to see a friend and enjoyed it so much I was back a month later! The island is so relaxed that after only a couple of days you begin to feel like a local.

Cocolobo is ideally situated on Roatan. You are close enough to West End just to wander down the road the 5 minutes it takes to get to the beach and the bars but you are far enough away to be able to enjoy the peace and quiet.

The rooms at Cocolobo are clean and comfortable with wonderful views of the sea, the cooked breakfasts hit the spot every day thanks to Haidi and in the evening you can enjoy a beer or two (perhaps even a G&T or three) on the deck, watching the sun go down.

But I must say that the highlight of my stay was meeting Rory and Clare. They are the most hospitable hotel managers you could wish for and made my friend and I feel very at home. I now count them amongst my own friends. In fact, writing this has made me homesick for Roatan so I'll heading back for G&T's very soon!

PS Look out for the ZZ Top Boys at Sundowners...

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Lilo_8
Reviewed 12 July 2008

Cocolobo, is ideal for relaxing after a day at the beach or diving. The rooms are spacious and they have a great view with their own balcony and hammock. Also, there is a very nice breeze on this side of the island, that we didn´t even need the a/c in our room. I loved how clean everything was and the fresh supply of water. The managers Rory and Cecilia are great ! Breakfast was delicious, fresh fruit, cereal and eggs. I would definitely recommend staying here. Restaurants are close by and if you are in need of Thai massage ask for Crista, she lives close by, just ask Rory.

The whole reservation and deposit was done over the internet with no problems.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 July 2008

First, let me preface what I am about to say with the fact that I have never been motivated or inspired enough to write a hotel review before so this is a first for me. Let me also say on the other hand, that I have traveled and stayed in well over 20 foreign countries around the world including many traditional and exclusive Hotels, B&B's, Private Villa's, etc. and have a lot of experience traveling abroad so you can have confidence that what I have to say is if nothing else, accurate.

In particular, I started traveling throughout the Caribbean Islands back in 1985 and have stayed on nearly all of the Eastern Caribbean islands North of Grenada and quite a few of the Western Caribbean islands as well but I wanted to comment about my most recent stay a few weeks ago at Cocolobo's on the Western Shore (West End) of Roatan. Roatan is located ~30 miles off the Eastern Coast of Honduras.

What made my stay there truly unique and one of the most enjoyable I have had in years wasn't necessarily the accommodations although they were only a few years old and impeccably clean and comfortable, but the managers/caretakers Rory and Claire. It is not often that you run into people who are so comfortable and relaxed themselves that it becomes infectious and makes you feel the same way too. Frankly speaking, when you visit an island in particular, it is less about your hotel room because cleanliness, comfort, and service are all a must-have baseline, but what can make that part of the experience memorable are the people who take care of you.

Claire and Rory are British transplants who moved to the island about three years ago. They brought with them that traditional British sense of humor which if you are well traveled you can recognize in an instant, along with genuinely warm, caring, and easy-going personalities along with just about everything else you could ask for in a Bed & Breakfast type of environment.

To boot, my room directly overlooked the Caribbean Sea (less than 100' away), and had beautiful Sunsets in the evening. It was also relatively inexpensive by any standard ( $380/Week) with an additional $5/Day for a Full Breakfast (I like to eat American Food when I travel, at least for breakfast anyway), and there was a nominal extra fee for A/C which you will probably want to take advantage of depending on when you travel there. So for less than $75/Night all inclusive, I thought it was a real bargain. Did I mention you have your own hammock already setup right on your balcony?

Anyway I think my title says it all, it was a truly relaxing and extremely pleasant trip even though I was there on business for the week without my family along. Just a great experience all around and somewhere I will absolutely stay at again during one of my upcoming trips there. Three thumbs up for the folks at Cocolobo's....

Stayed: June 2008