“Expect to be blown away by the serenity!”
Review of Cocolobo

Cocolobo
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Simply put, Cocolobo is an Eden on Earth. My girlfriend and I scoured the internet for a place to call home for our first trip to Roatan. Not only was Cocolobo the right choice, it far exceeded our expectations. If you are searching for a place where you can hear your heartbeat at night, the crickets and geckos getting active, and you can see every star in the sky then Cocolobo is your place.

From the moment you arrive off of the dusty Roatan roads you are greeted by the wonderful staff at Cocolobo. Expect to feel like you've just pulled into your own private home set aside an amazing Caribbean Sea. It is just staggering. The moment my girlfriend and I opened the door to our room we opened the door to our balcony and embraced each other and smelled that wonderful sea air, smiled in total bliss and kissed. We knew that we had found our dream vacation.

Included in your nightly rate is an incredible home cooked breakfast by Heidi, an absolutely wonderful bilingual woman who is young and vibrant and has a beautiful little girl. She is always smiling and makes you feel like you are being spoiled the moment you awake and are rubbing the sleep from your eyes. What an amazing feeling it was to be treated like that.

Each evening we made an effort to get back to Cocolobo to enjoy Nicaraguan rum and watch the sun set with Sally our hostess. We had so many lovely talks as we watched the sun set. That was a treat in itself to listen to Sally's tales of her 20 years living in Peru working for the BBC. She is an amazing woman and just being there and getting to know her was really an honor for my girlfriend and I.

Our bed was big and softer than any bed I've ever slept on in any 5 star hotel in Mexico. I slept like a log every night because we walked a lot and exercised every day in the water either by diving or snorkeling or swimming. Because of where Cocolobo is located there is some walking you will have to do if you want to go into town daily. We went everyday to town. If you are a sloth of a person, used to cabs and fast food, you might find that the walks will kill you. It takes you about 10-15 minutes to walk to town. My girlfriend and I walked arm in arm every morning and used the peace of the morning to quell our excitement of the day's dives. Conversely, we used the same walk back home from the dusty noise of the town to the tranquil path that led back to Cocolobo to reflect on the day and laugh about the heat and our hunger. We were always holding hands on those walks.

You can look at the walk as either a nuisance or as a blessing. It just might be the thing that sets you on a health kick when you return home...who knows. I'm always active so the walks never fazed us. Most Europeans won't mind it either since their lives are different from us lazy Americans. He He He.

I hope you can understand that this experience profoundly affected me. We are really blessed on this Earth when places like Cocolobo exist. Enjoy your visit and have a rum and ginger ale for me.

Graham

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank swimbody

Reviewed 31 July 2008

We recently spent the best weekend in Roatan. A 3 day weekend became a 4 day vacation simply because of the great time we spent lodging at Cocolobo in West End, Roatan. Rory and Claire, the hotel administrators, were such great hosts to us. They were always available to help us with whatever need we had.

We stayed at the Paya Room located on the East Lodge and the ocean front view was stunning! There was no need to go out to the balcony since there were two big sliding french doors towards the balcony that unveiled the beautiful view to the exterior. The room was equiped with a HUGE bed, refrigerator, cable TV and A/C. Of course a hommock in the balcony added an extra resting place to the room.

Cocolobo has a central common building that holds the bar, diner and best of all, the infinity pool! We used the pool at anytime we wanted and time could fly by in it. If we were to use at night a nice candle light was set as a romantic environment. Drinks were always available at the pool side.

Although Cocolobo is not equipped with a restaurant, breakfast was always made at request. A combination of fresh fruit, cereal, orange juice, coffee and a plate with scrambled eggs and toast was served. This plate was changed every day by adding refried beans, avocado or bacon, breakfast was never repeated!

It was a great place to rest! Privacy is a trademark in this place since there is no beach front and for that reason there is no people walking in front of the hotel. The view is exclusively for the hotel guests and makes it an even better place to rest since it is strategically located away from the main strip in West End.

We just returned from our small vacation and can't wait to go back! We really loved this place and are seriously considering it to host our wedding reception!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gmd-gabrie
Reviewed 24 July 2008

I stayed here for two weeks in June, while volunteering for Familias Saludables, an organization in Coxen Hole for women and children living with AIDS. I contacted Cocolobo, explaining there would be 12 of us coming from the US for this volunteer project. They gave us a fantastic rate and treated us like family!
The rooms were beautiful - hard wood floors, overhead fans, A/C and a deck with a hammock and a view to write home about.
We began each day with a complimentary hot breakfast, freshly prepared, always including a large bowl of freshly cut up fruit.
We spent our days rebuilding a woman's home in the woods. We came home hot, sweaty and dirty each day. Returning home to Cocolobo was a treat. It rejuvenated us for the next day.
We even had full body massages on the open deck one night, with the stars overhead and the Caribbean at our head.
There's a small pool at Cocolobo, wireless internet service in the outdoor dining area, and lots of good restaurants and shops within walking distance at West End. Rory and Claire were incredible hosts. We can't wait to see them again next year!

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 21 July 2008

If you are looking for a beautiful place to stay with clean, comfortable rooms then this is the place for you!

I came out to Roatan in April 2008 to see a friend and enjoyed it so much I was back a month later! The island is so relaxed that after only a couple of days you begin to feel like a local.

Cocolobo is ideally situated on Roatan. You are close enough to West End just to wander down the road the 5 minutes it takes to get to the beach and the bars but you are far enough away to be able to enjoy the peace and quiet.

The rooms at Cocolobo are clean and comfortable with wonderful views of the sea, the cooked breakfasts hit the spot every day thanks to Haidi and in the evening you can enjoy a beer or two (perhaps even a G&T or three) on the deck, watching the sun go down.

But I must say that the highlight of my stay was meeting Rory and Clare. They are the most hospitable hotel managers you could wish for and made my friend and I feel very at home. I now count them amongst my own friends. In fact, writing this has made me homesick for Roatan so I'll heading back for G&T's very soon!

PS Look out for the ZZ Top Boys at Sundowners...

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lilo_8
Reviewed 12 July 2008

Cocolobo, is ideal for relaxing after a day at the beach or diving. The rooms are spacious and they have a great view with their own balcony and hammock. Also, there is a very nice breeze on this side of the island, that we didn´t even need the a/c in our room. I loved how clean everything was and the fresh supply of water. The managers Rory and Cecilia are great ! Breakfast was delicious, fresh fruit, cereal and eggs. I would definitely recommend staying here. Restaurants are close by and if you are in need of Thai massage ask for Crista, she lives close by, just ask Rory.

The whole reservation and deposit was done over the internet with no problems.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
0.6 km away
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#1 of 9 in West End

Been to Cocolobo? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK