“Best Accomodation on the Island”
Review of Cocolobo

Cocolobo
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed 2 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a week long scuba diving trip. We were blown away at how friendly and helpful Bonnie and Ron were, how clean, breezy and comfortable our room was, and how tasty the breakfast was! I was particularly impressed at the safe drinking water stations that are set up to cut down on all the plastic on the island. Cocolobo is just a two minute walk from the hustle and bustle of west end, but is somehow still so quiet and secluded, a true gem!

Room Tip: we stayed in a king suite, I didn't see any of the other rooms, but I heard from other people ho...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heathalovesscuba
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

The property was beautiful! We loved how the property was set right outside of town. It was private but a short walk to all of the action. Ron was very helpful and really cared that we had an amazing experience. The rooms are large and super comfortable! We would definitely visit Cobolobo again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sydra N
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I arrived at Cocolobo half-way through my Central Trip, completely running on empty and looking very much worse for wear (to the extent that the other passengers on my plane to Roatan expressed concern). I needed to spend some time to relax and get my energy back so requested a few extra nights stay at Cocolobo. The room I had booked wasn't available beyond my original stay but Ron did his very best to make some rearrangements so I could extend my stay. I'm ever so grateful as it meant I was regain my health and continue my journey.

My stay at Cocolobo was just amazing. Breakfast was delicious; the swimming pool was the ideal place to sip an ice cold beer over-looking the ocean; and the staff were very welcoming and helpful. I have no complaints about the rooms I stayed in. They were very clean, air-conditioned (fan) and had a well stocked mini bar, as well as a perfect view of the ocean from the balcony. I felt safe and welcomed, which made it a relaxed atmosphere where guests and staff happily mingled at breakfast and around the pool. I simply wanted to spend the rest of my Central American holiday at Cocolobo and if they hadn't been fully booked after a certain date I would have.

I like to explore different parts of the world when travelling but this year I might just make a return trip to Roatan and Cocolobo, if they will have me.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank kiwigirlabroad
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The proximity to West Ends attractions and the serenity of the resort is second to the commitment and pride your host(s), Ron and Bonnie, take in ensuring that thier guests enjoy all that the Island has to offer. Thank you both for the hospitality and dedication that you continue to share.
Hope to see you soon,
Robert

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robertlad
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at Cocolobo for a week in the Keyhole room. The facilities are aging a bit (some rust from the nearby ocean, a little missing grout between tiles in the bathroom), but quite functional. The shower was spacious and always had warm water. I don't like hot humid weather, but we just used the ceiling fan and never turned on the AC. There is plenty of closet and storage space for unpacking. There is also a mini-fridge in the room which is nice for keeping food cold. The closet has a small safe that wasn't big enough for my laptop, but fine for keeping passports, credit cards, etc.

The speakers on the included iPod dock/radio weren't very good (I took an audio cord to plug my laptop into it for watching movies). The speakers worked but sounded like they had been overblown. Clean drinking water is available in the breezeway between rooms. Cocolobo is in a very quiet location, and noise was never a problem. There is a bit of road construction going on to put in a sewer line, so the walk into West End can be a little muddy if it's rained hard (West End itself has the same problem). The deck in front of the bar has a hose that we used to rinse our feet and wash the salt water off of our dive/snorkel gear. We went diving at West End Divers, which is a 5-10 minute walk away. There might be more convenient dive shops to Cocolobo.

We didn't end up using the pool since the water was a bit on the cool side. The breakfast was always good - fruit, granola, cornflakes, yogurt, fresh squeezed orange juice and a hot plate that was different each day. We are vegetarian, and had no problem with the breakfasts since most of them were vegetarian anyway. The main bar/breakfast area has free WiFi Internet. I could just barely get reception for it in the front corner of our room on my laptop.

We slept with the sliding glass door open for the nice sea breeze. However, there are several friendly cats on the premises. One night we woke up to one eating a lizard in our room, and another night we awoke to a different cat on our bed. The cats didn't return after we shoo-ed them out, though.

And of course Ron and Bonnie were super nice and helpful. They arranged an airport pick-up and drop-off that was very convenient for $20 each way.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Keyhole room on the outside edge, which was quiet and nice since the bathroom windo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Sandy Bay
0.2 km away
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Cocolobo? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK