I stayed in May in a luxury beachfront bungalow. The bungalow was a good size and I was more than happy to have a beach view rather than spend the extra to have an overwater bungalow. The bedroom and bathroom were very clean except the glass doors in the shower which led to a small garden had some soap scum on them. Housekeeping seemed to be a little bit disorganised but I didn't worry about that as I was in paradise. All staff are extremely pleasant and helpful and there wasn't any problem with language. When I arrived I had to wait a few hours to check in but there is a bathroom near reception where I changed and I went to the beach for a couple of hours and had lunch and a cocktail at the restaurant.
I was on my own and wondered whether there would be a lot of honeymooners there but the guests were a mix of honeymooners, older couples and families with young children and I did not feel out of place.
The grounds of the resort are beautiful and well kept. Buffet breakfast and dinner were included and the variety and quality of all meals was excellent. Some reviews have complained about the price of food but for a quality hotel I thought most prices were standard. A few things were too expensive but I suspect that is due to having to ship them in, such as a Magnum ice cream at the beach bar was nearly US$10. Other items were very reasonable - I had lunch in Pure restaurant one day and a beautiful salad that filled me up was about US$15 (cheaper than a cocktail at about US$18).
I had a massage at the spa which was very good but I thought it was overpriced for what I got.
I did not use the pool, which looked quite small, as the beach is beautiful. I spent most of my days at the beach where the water is crystal clear and snorkelling gear (which is easily obtained free of charge from the hotel) is not needed to see the beautiful fish. I saw a few rays at the hotel beach and also a moray eel.
The highlight of my trip was doing an around the island boat trip through the hotel where we stopped to swim with rays and black tipped sharks. We also stopped a few times spotting dolphins and moored at another beach to snorkel. The trip lasted nearly 6 hours and was wonderful.
Moorea is a beautiful island, it really is paradise, and I had a fantastic time. I would recommend the Sofitel and would stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort is located on the North-East Coast of the island, just 5 minutes away from Temae airport, Vaiare ferries docks, the 18 holes international golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus®. This landmark hotel is built on the longest and most beautiful white sand beach of the island, within a protected marine area maintained by the CRIOBE®.From this hotel, guests have a unique panoramic view on the lagoon and the island of Tahiti. The hotel offers a wide range of accommodation with a total of 113 Luxury Bungalows located in the gardens, directly on the beach or over the water. Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora has the only Luxury Beach Bungalows on Moorea that have unobstructed views of the island of Tahiti, located directly on the beach. Historically, this hotel is the first of the island that built bungalows over the water. Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora has now the largest Luxury Overwater Bungalows in Moorea (83 sq. meters).Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora also features 1 Luxury Villa with 2 bedrooms (150 sq.meters). It has 2 bathrooms, 1 lounge, 1 deck and 1 outdoor jacuzzi®, with a direct access into the lagoon and panoramic views of the island of Tahiti.Dine in Polynesian authenticity at the Pure restaurant with outdoor terrace dining offering complimentary and traditional dance shows every night or choose the barefoot elegance of K restaurant, gourmet dining, feet in the sand experience, with a unique dance show.For light snacks and exotic cocktails or premium alcohols while admiring the view, try the Vue bar overlooking the infinity pool, the lagoon and Tahiti with weekly live concerts. For light snacks and exotic cocktails during a farniente day on the beach, only steps away from the lagoon, try the Beach bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Hotel Maharepa
- Sofitel Moorea Beach Resort
- Sofitel Maharepa
- Maharepa Sofitel
- Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort Maharepa