“**BEST HOTEL IN EGYPT**” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rixos Sharm El Sheikh

Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Dorset, United Kingdom
“**BEST HOTEL IN EGYPT**”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Just returned from our second stay at this hotel. To be honest looking at previous reviews i was quite concerned.....all i can say is what do people expect these days????
If you want your own personal waiter and a man waving a palm tree leaf 8 hours of the day go to the Maldives!!!!
The service in this hotel can not be faulted....the food is fantastic. A la cartes are superb and may i say i dont know many all inclusive hotels these days that allow you to go to all four free of charge!
Do you go on holiday to relax and make the most of the sunshine...or do you go to criticise the hard working staff because you had to wait a few minutes for a drink?
The grounds of this hotel are beautiful and the rooms are lovely. Our room cleaner Ahmed was brilliant, he doesnt speak great english but he tried...bless him and his english is better than my egyptian!
The only little niggle i would have is the entertainment in the evenings is in need of improvement. I spoke with Kelly....who is an absolute star, she has always got time to chat even when she is busy she will still stand and chat with you and she said that the entertainment will change in May and the programme sounds brilliant.
They have opened a new dining room for adults only and it is a nice change, i enjoy the zodiac during the day as it is near the beach but the new dining room is nice in the evenings and the guy running the new one is brilliant....he does not take any funny business from the staff or the guests. If you are wearing shorts in the evening you aint getting in.... so dont try!

All in all another fantastic stay....would we return of course we would.....we would not go anywhere else!
Room 4032 is nice but next time will try to be nearer the bigger pool just as it is closer to the beach and zodiac.

3 Thank r33mkl
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Having been recommended this hotel by a friend, my partner and I decided to book this hotel, we did prior to booking read many reviews on different hotels in the area on trip advisor and decided for the price we got the holiday for (£530 each) that this hotel would be ideal for a week away in April. We never go away during peek holidays times such as Easter week / Summer school holidays as we find these times to busy when we prefer a quieter / relaxing holiday.

On arrival to Sharm the airport was a bit manic but because we were travelling out of school holiday season found we sped through customs, on arrival to the hotel (only 2 couples from our bus staying here) we were greeted by reception straight away with no wait and by the sounds of it we had one of the more friendly check in guys. We were whisked off on a buggy to our room - Having specified a pool room & quiet room & it was our anniversary I was hoping for a special treat in the room but arrived to a normal room - i was a little disappointed but decided to brush it under the carpet.

The Room & bathroom - Large and well equipped with a modern feel however the finish is poor & not 5 star standard - the chair in the room was stained, the net curtains across the balcony doors were very marked and the Bath had deep scratches that were brown with dirt - I thought at first the bath had not been cleaned but on washing over with the shower it was clear these were ground in. The shower was powerful and hot in the morning but when it came to using it in the evenings there was a lack of power & hot water. There is no shower curtain over the bath so the water does go over the bathroom floor which can cause it to be slippery. Other than the finish & minor issues the rooms are sufficient.
I have read the beds were hard and not comfy & was dreading this slightly but for me although hard I always had a good nights sleep & found the bedding really comfy. The air conditioning worked really well although made hissing sounds every now and again & sometimes the smell of cigarette smoked seeped through the vents (not sure if someone was smoking near the units outside?!?)

The Grounds - very well kept and immaculate and they seem to have more people keeping the grounds maintained & well finished when they need to spending time doing this to the interior finishings.
This hotel is a large resort but for me did not feel like this, it has been well landscaped and flows well with the pools & paths flowing down the centre of the resort, there were other smaller pools located in more secluded spots & this made it feel more intimate in parts of the hotel.

Pools - The pools are well maintained & the main heated pool is busy with music & activities throughout the day & the lagoon pool was our choice of pool - It IS difficult to get a sun bed especially with a sun parasol and on our first day ended up having to go to the beach to get a bed & shade which is somewhere you can always find a free bed & shade. We realised that if we were to get a bed with a parasol we would have to join in with everyone else who were "reserving beds with towels" We had to set our alarms every morning for 7:20 am to put our towels down

Towels - for a 5 star resort I was extremely disappointed with the quality of the towels that were raggy and frayed at the edges, one towel i put around me but it was so tatty on the edges it ripped - this needs to be addressed in my eyes

Beach - Having read how windy the beach is it put me off going there but once on the beach I enjoyed it if not more than the pool side, you can always get a bed here - the week we went must have been less windy as we had a nice breeze that kept you cooler but not chilly but not to the extent where sand was blowing everywhere etc.
The platform over the corals get opened and you can stroll down to view the fish, your not allowed to walk on the corals and only 3 days before we left the resort noticed signs on the beach stating this. 3 days out of the 7 the flag turned to yellow so snorkelling was allowed it was well worth doing this & the 2 guys that patrol the swimming ensure you swim in the correct areas - Many people take it upon themselves to go in areas your not allowed to which means the guys have to blow their whistles to tell people to come back or to not swim that way!

Restaurants - Ate in 2 A La Carte ( Indian & Egyptian) we only booked these because one morning we were in the main reception and noticed the lady booking people in - she only had 3 day bookings so we opted for the two above and we never ventured back to the guest relations desk after we'd initially booked into these so didn't get to try the others. I enjoyed the Indian and weren't made to rush food my food was very tasty but also very salty which is the only down side the rest of it was lovely and probably my fav of the two a la carte. The Egyptian was nice but the food was overly inspiring although my partner really enjoyed his Beef Kofta.
The buffet type restaurants - Zodiac is where we ate most days - We never got ill & ate all the foods like salads & rices - I always wash my hands before eating & use alcohol gel especially abroad but noticed on more than one occassion other guests 'fingering the foods' and touching the bread rolls but not taking them & people eating food straight off the displays !! I did enjoy some of the foods in here but mostly the meat dishes with the sauces - the puddings didn't inspire me & the fruit options were disappointing. At breakfast i only ate the toast as the other options did not appeal to me I understand they cant cater for all tastes but there was never a really good fruit salad option (apples & oranges & bananas uninspiring) there are many other fruits that would have been really good - Mango, Pineapple, Pomegranate, etc. We did eat in the over 18's restaurant and found this lacking personality & a smaller selection of the foods that were on in the zodiac restaurant.
Each night of the week they did a different theme and i would give the food a 7/10.

Staff - I can see a majority of the staff making the effort but I have an issue with tipping to get good service - I like to receive good service and for someone to make an effort and then i will show my gratitude with a tip. We never got drinks brought to us in the restaurants only once by the pool, we never had sun beds found for us the the pool guys on the days we didn't get up early enough to get a lounger & parasol & although the housekeeping made the beds everyday only twice was our bathroom wiped down as I noticed toothpaste marks on the side for a few days running - we didn't have water put in our fridge on a few days & our bathmat went missing after the 3rd day. I could have rang housekeeping to request or these things to be done but this was a holiday & for 5 star I should not have had to do this.

Overall most of the reviews on here are pretty accurate and if you can get a cheap deal its worth it - I would return next year but ONLY if i could get it for the same price again other wise I will pay double and look at staying in the Baron Resort. This resort is not UK 5 star standards but the grounds & complex and initial look of things give a good first impression its just a shame about the finish of the interior buildings / rooms and lack of 5 star standards.

Room Tip: Sound like if you can get an upgrade or pay for a room nearer the beach (blocks 18 - 20 look the bes...
1 Thank boodi88
Wigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Not the worst but certainly not the best all inclusive resort I've been to in Egypt. Adult restaurants weren't bad, but main restaurant was a battleground, noisy, not the cleanest, too many guests for the walters to cope. Hotel room, we we in a Superior Double (block 10), was adequate but nothing special. Staff attitude was mixed, those that rely on tips for a decent wage, waiters, room cleaners etc weren't bad, others like those at the main reception need some serious training in guest relations. All in all, a week in the sun, but won't be rushing back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Woody368
Newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Before I start my review it is appropriate to acknowledge that each holiday maker has individual expectations of their holiday based on previous experience and the price that has been paid to ensure value for money. I have deliberately delayed posting my review to allow for some time to reflect on our experience of this hotel, view other reviews and also view the travel forum posts.

It is appropriate to start with positives. The hotel and it's grounds are large and indeed very beautiful. The pools and gardens are immaculate, well positioned and each with individual character to suit apporopriate needs. For example the Royal pool is lively and heated and offers entertainment, the Lagoon pool is quieter but large and several other pools offer different settings that can accommodate each individual requirements. Swim up bars are available at both main pools. The gardens are immaculately kept and very picturesque. The standard of cleanliness are high in public areas and the overall setting of the resort is commendable.

We booked a sea view junior suite to accommodate 2 adults and our 15 year old son. We stayed in block 20. The suite was nice with a huge bathroom and a walk in wardrobe and a beautiful view but our sons bed was basically a camp bed divided by a television in our suite. Extremely disappointing not only from a price perspective but also because from our perspective, when we have booked a suite with more than 2 people, we have had additional extra separate bedrooms available. Hugely disappointing considering we were charged not only an adult price for our son but also an additional £900 for the 2 weeks for this "upgrade" . The servicing of our suite was great from an incredibly hard working guy.

I have read a feW posts about the immediate impressions of this hotel. I absolutely agree that first impressions are extremely important. Suffice to say that the first 16 hours at this hotel gave a very dire impression. Completely underwhelmed by the unprofessional and somewhat cold welcome at reception which was basically echoed as we tried to familiarise ourselves with the resort for the first evening. Getting a drink was quite an effort. We were exposed to the Zodiac restaurant on our first evening which was fairly poor. We were in and out in less than 20 minutes, not offered a drink and experienced the clearing of our plates into a mobile "scraping station" whilst we were still negotiating our individual main courses. The dining experience in the Zodiac was not good, in fact it was rushed, unpleasant and unprofessional.

The following day we did discuss our first impressions and concerns with the guest relations manager and the first choice rep. I would encourage anyone who has similar issues to do the same. We were given the choice to upgrade further to"ultra all inclusive". It is offered to each guest for $20 per person per night. We chose to upgrade with a discount. The UAI saved our holiday as without this, we would have asked to move hotels. We had access to the Executive Lounge and Ali was superb in meeting our expectations and making our stay much more akin to the standards we have been used to in our 2 previous visits to Sharm at a different "5 star" hotel.

The beach is exposed and during our stay it was windy. No wind breakers are available. This has been a continuos issue for this hotel which is disappointing. The red flag was flying for a considerable time during our stay but when my husband did eventually get a chance to snorkel, is was fantastic. There was constant and inconsistent blowing of whistles on the beach. No real or understandable "rules". Just whistle amusing whistle blowing which was farcical each day.

Getting a sunbed and parasol around the Lagoon pool was a problem in the first week but did improve in the second week ....as long as you tipped the pool boys. I had 4 Swedish massages in the cabanas above the Lagoon pool. They were good but the effectiveness ranged for absolutely fabulous to mediocre depending on who did it. No consistency and the timing was 35 minutes to 50 ( which was what was paid for).

We ate at each a la carte restaurant which were so much better than the Zodiac but the service in some let them down. Particularly the Indian where they were serving our desserts whist my son was still eating his main course. The UAI upgrade meant that we could access the Executive Lounge 24/7 and have food cooked for us as we required. We also used this as a bar service and again, Ali was fab.

I would entirely agree with some of the previous comments re service being an absolute issue. We sat for a whole hour in the Lobby bar for at least 3 evenings without a waiter asking us if we wanted a drink. The overall service and customer focus is poor. We eventually abandoned any bar service and retreated to the Executive Lounge as we knew we would get a first class service.

This was our thiird trip to Egypt for our Easter break.. Our previous 2 trips have been to the Reef Oasis Blue Bay where we have booked Superior Rooms and experienced an all inclusive that did not require an additional upgrade at the resort ( ie what we paid to upgrade at the RGA was standard at ROBB).

The RGA is a beautiful hotel. It has potential to be a "5" star hotel,in Egyptian standards. Currently their are several things that let it down. Some that are easily fixed, for example customer service, focus, standards and overall attitude. If they truly want to compete with a "5" star in Egypt, then pop along to the ROBB. They will need a spa and a proper gym for starters and Suites with separate bedrooms and better dining standards. Hopefully such issues will be addressed by the new owners who will take over this hotel shortly.

I will end this review with a reminder that holiday experiences are individual and the reviews expressed here are following (hopefully) an objective experience. Personally speaking, this hotel has potential but we will not return and we would not recommend to our family and friends given a vfm comparison with the ROBB.

Room Tip: Blockb20 sea view suite was nice
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Bev95
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We have only been back a day and already missing the glorious sunshine!

Initially the hotel is overwhelming, spread over a vast area but after a day we found our bearings.
Our first evening meal was taken in the Zodiac restaurant, we were served by an absolute star called Mamhoud, who was leaving the next day to see his family and would return back to the hotel, when we were heading home. He was brilliant!!!
We found the Zodiac restaurant a little hectic, but lots of choice. A bit of feedback......the hot food was labelled up, the cold salads were not. This would have helped me with my food selections as I do not eat beef, lamb.

Thankfully the adults only restaurant was also an option for us. We found this to be lovely and calm, however sometimes felt a little understaffed. My husband had to get drinks on a number of occasions.

The Al a Carte restaurants were lovely, great service and food was very good.
The Raj (Indian) was lovely!! A'El Hamed looked after us and he was fab. He also looked after us in the adults only restaurant too.

I did have a situation in the Chinese restaurant, which was dealt with by the team brilliantly.
Thank you to Kelly, the Food & Beverage manager and the restaurant manger for their outstanding sevice.

We were treated to an evening in the Executive lounge. We received first class service, beautiful food and elegant surroundings........I would strongly recommend upgrading to include this in your package!

The lobby bar is a great place to meet up with friends, there is lots of seating and the staff are brilliant. A massive thank you to the genuinely lovely, friendly and attentive Mostafa who went above and beyond during our stay.

The main reception lobby bar was lovely too, the guys are so friendly and can not do enough for you.

A little niggly thing, the towels in the room were thread bare or frayed.
But our room was lovely, very spacious, huge comfy bed.
Our room boy Waed was lovely and always happy to help.

In all a lovely hotel, we had a pleasant well needed break.
Thank you to all the lovely team at the RGA.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Rixos Seagate Sharm
#1 of 32 in Nabq Bay
9.4 km away
Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Four Seasons Resort Sharm El She...
#3 of 232 in Sharm El Sheikh
The Royal Savoy Sharm El Sheikh
The Royal Savoy Sharm El Sheikh
#4 of 232 in Sharm El Sheikh
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,346 reviews

Been to Rixos Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK