“Agreat place to stay in downtown Guayaquil” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn by Hilton Guayaquil-Downtown

Hampton Inn by Hilton Guayaquil-Downtown
Ranked #13 of 59 Hotels in Guayaquil
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Agreat place to stay in downtown Guayaquil”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Handy to the river and the Cathedral and the park with the South American Tree Iguanas (opposite the Cathedral). Staff very helpful and friendly. Business centre has good internet and an early morning (prior to restaurant opening) was especially arranged for a very early departure. Rooms comfortable and clean.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Sales Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Guayaquil-Downtown, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear BongoBickford

Thanks for your review... we are very close to the most important tourist attractions in Guayaquil (walking distance)... Please come back soon we will be very pleased to recommend you another activities in Guayaquil
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

This hotel looks nice and has a nice location. However, the standard of service and attention to detail is rather poor. The location is very nice and walking distance (5 minutes..) from the Malecon. There are many restaurants nearby and you definitely feel like you're in the middle of the city.

However, do not expect Hampton Inn/Hilton class service. We wanted to extend our stay by one night and when I asked the reception they said they'd let us know between 10-11am on the day. When I called at 10am they said there's a big group arriving so they're not sure of availability and they would let us know at around 12pm.

At 11.35am as I was near the reception, I asked them what the status of our extension was. The girl I was talking to asked her colleague (also reception staff) and she replied in Spanish "I already told him that I'll tell him at 12!!".

Certainly not alright for them to assume that we don't speak Spanish. Neither is it polite to display such an attitude at the reception in front of other guests who are checking in (who also probably speak Spanish).

There are other things in this hotel that make you feel like it's definitely missing the class it should have in service. For example: Everyday they will only give you one bottle of complimentary water. (we were in a superior king room and paying for 2 people)

Furthermore, every time I would order room service they would want to bill me for every purchase then and there. The mini bar is also empty. It appears that they have a policy of extending zero credit to the customer.

I don't mind if they take my credit card at check in (they didn't, I think since our stay was already paid for..) and then extend a credit line to me. It becomes annoying very fast to have to pay every single time we order something.

We ordered dinner on one night to the room and our plates were not cleared until 11am the next morning.

This place is fine for a night but don't expect stellar service.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Fernando B, General Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Guayaquil-Downtown, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear MasJay, thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, our customer´s feedback is our best indicator that we´re doing a good job serving them and meeting or exceeding each and every one of their expectations. We are located at walking distance of the most important tourist attractions Guayaquil has to offer. I apologize if you felt we did not meet Hilton/Hampton standards, we do have a 100% guest satisfaction guarantee that can be applied if for any reason our guests feel we did not meet their expectations. Please allow me to answer each on of your comments on the review:

1) We´re always happy to extend a guest stay, however, our ability to do so depends on our availability. Our Front Desk staff did ask you to check back with them later on because we did have a big group coming in and we were fully commited. The only way that we were going to be able to extend your stay was by getting a cancelation, otherwise, we could not because we were at a 100% occupancy.

2)The response you got at the Front Desk by one of our recepcionist in Spanish and with an attitude saying that "she already told you to check back at noon" is totally unacceptable and disrespectful. I profusely apologize for that, she was written up for it and I guarantee you it won´t happen again.

3)The complementary water is not a Hilton or Hampton standard for all guests. If you are a Gold or Diamond member you do get 2 complementary bottles of water on the first day only (depending on the Hilton brand that you are staying at). This is something that I would encourage you to check prior to arrival as there might be certain hotels that do provide additional amenities but they are not necessarily our Standards. Finally, Hilton has several brands and each one of them have a different set of standards (Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Hilton, Homewood Suites, Embassy Suites, Double Tree and Hampton). Please let me know if you need additional information regarding this matter and I´ll be happy to provide it to you.

4) The reason you were asked to pay for your room service order every time was because you were not asked for a credit card at check in (you should´ve, I will follow up with my Front Desk Manager regarding this matter); as such, you had no credit line with the hotel so every purchase had to be paid at the Point of Sale (restaurant, room service, spa, etc) and could not be charged to the room. I understand this could get annoying very quickly so I apologize for it.

5) Your dinner plates should´ve been picked up either late at night or early in the morning not at 11 am. I will follow up my Food & Beverage Manager regarding this issue.

I look forward to having you stay at our property once again, please contact me directly and I´ll make sure you´re very well taken care of and that the service you receive exceeds your expectations.
Vinton, IA USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Stayed here Saturday night on the way to Cuenca, Staff was great. Had a room on the tenth floor with a view of a hill with towers. Staff put together a veggie meal for me. Room had a ding on the dresser, and there was a ding on the wall in the hall. The breakfast had a wide selection to chose from, but they need lessons on how to make a good omelet.

Room Tip: 1007 has a window with a view
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lorraine-Akel, Sales Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Guayaquil-Downtown, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Dear Metaphysician:

Thanks for your review... for us is very important understand your needs and do all the necessary to make your stay a great experience.... Sorry for the ding issue we are in maintenance process with our rooms... For us is very important offer a great product... about the omelets please for your next stay let us know how do you prefer the omelets... Thanks again for share your experience and for give us the opportunity
Greater Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

THe Hampton Inn is only a short walk away from the very attractive area of the Malecon 2000 . It has spacious clean comfortable rooms and a very good buffet breakfast. Reception will look after you with a smile and there is a free shuttle bus .Shortly after I entered my room the cleaning staff came to check that every thing was satisfactory.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear orcaSydney_Australia:

Thanks for your review!!!

Our Hamptonality (positive attitude) is part of our service!!!

We are glad that you could visit Malecon 200, for your next visit you stay visit: Seminario's Park, The Cathedral, and a few Museums too, we are very close to those attractions...

We will hope that you come back soon... remember that WE LOVE HAVING YOU HERE
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here before our trip to the Galapagos. This was by far the best hotel we stayed at during our entire 18 day trip to Peru and Ecuador. Their customer service is outstanding. We were greeted at the airport by an English speaking driver with cold bottles of water. Then we were greeted at the hotel with fresh juice and cold hand towels. Shortly after settling into the room we also received a plate of fresh fruit. Breakfast in the morning was outstanding with lots of the standard fare including fresh fruit, juices, coffee, and waffle maker but also some unexpected items like ceviche and made to order eggs.

The location was excellent as well. It is within walking distance (4-5 blocks) to the Malecon which is also beautiful. Make sure you check out the gardens and pond with massive ducks! The area does seem to lack some nicer restaurants but it is located right next to a Pizza Hut and only a block away from a McDonald's if you are craving US fast food. We opted for one of the restaurants on the Malecon. It was decent but nothing to write home about.

We felt relatively safe in the area. The shops did close early and when I say close, I mean they pull the steel doors down and attach padlocks. I don't know if I would want to be walking down the street at 2AM by myself here but what city would you feel comfortable doing that in? The hotel always has a doorman that stands outside the hotel to greet guests and by the looks of the ones we saw, I would say they act like bouncers sometimes too.

I don't know why some of the older reviews said the place reeked of mold. I saw none. Everything was wonderfully clean and decorated.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica P
Dear Jessica P:

Thanks for your AMAZING review!!!

Your review is our best advertising... you itemize all (our hotel status, location, service, attractions, etc...)

We want to say THANK YOU for take the time to share your great experience during your stay with us...

WE LOVE HAVING YOU HERE (Your Home in Ecuador)