See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Not normally one to moan about a holiday I have been on but I believe people should be made aware of this hotel before attending. The place I stayed, Rabac was a lovely place with friendly people, nice bars and places to eat. Although there is not much to do in Robac, if you're looking for a nice relaxing holiday this is your place to go! Amfora hotel had a bunch of friendly staff, including the maids who changed our towels every day and tidied our room everyday, also stripping our bed sheets every three days. The hotel had wifi which you could connect your own devices too, which I found handy saving me money which I was going to spend on Internet cafés. Upon arriving at the hotel we realised there were no lifts to use with our luggage and there were also no porters to help us get up the three flights of stairs. I feel as though the hotel needs updating and made more modern, a bigger variety of food needs to be added to they're options because for our deserts it was the same for the two weeks me and my husband stayed there. As for the swimming pool it was placed under the seating area for the restaurant meaning it was continuously shaded, in the two weeks I spent there I didn't use the pool once, although my husband did twice it was like ice. Around the pool the tiles were cracked and needed replacing and there was three smashed windows which were held together by glue or tape. Aswell as that the pool was full of algae stating to me that it isn't cleaned very often! Although the bar in the complex was lovely it was always left unattended so we had to go to reception if we wanted a drink which was inconvenient. Finally when I go on holiday I expect to enjoy myself with some entertainment from the hotel but for this we had to leave the hotel and go into town because Amfora didn't supply any entertainment for adults or kids. The other hotels in the area seemed much nicer than the one we stayed at.

Date of stay: August 2014
2  Thank juliesY173TC
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Yes this hotel looks dated. But it is spotlessly clean, staffed by a friendly team and in a superb location for the best parts of Rabac.

The food is interesting but certainly not poor as other reviewers have suggested. There is a wide range of salads, meat, fish and vegetables every night. OK some of the attempts to conjure their own versions of Italian or English classics don't always succeed but the occasional Croatian main course was superb. Overall for the money, I was pleasantly surprised.

The rooms are a decent size with good air conditioning. They are also spotless and cleaned every day with fresh towels. Try and get a sea view on the second floor, the view is worth the extra cost.

The staff are very friendly, professional and helpful.

It is about 50 steps to the sea and Rabac's best cocktail bars.

I'd summarise by saying this hotel is old fashioned but that is the only way in which it can be faulted.

Room tip: Grab a 2nd floor sea view if you can.
1  Thank Martin J
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I was looking forward to a wonderful week here following the reviews on facebook. This hotel is tired and dated. We paid Thomson £84 for a sea view room to arrive at the hotel and find out they are selling them for £35. Food is very poor standard and every breakfast is just bread and jam. Asked for a fried egg and we did eventually get one 5 days later. I decided to try a peach one day to find it covered in mould. Dinner was no better and numerous English guests were not impressed. I would definitely go back to Croatia but not this hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank louisebou
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Get a sea view room, it is a must. The Amfora is a bit tired and dated, but that is also the charm of the place, much better than some I have seen ans been to. What is important is that the essentials are spot on! Excellent position, quiet but in the middle of the curved bay overlooking the sea, with the couple of miles long promenade. Friendly staff in the hotel, extremely helpful and smiling all the time. They always greet you pleasantly.
The food, both breakfast and evening meals, are very good. Breakfast is the same every morning, continental or you can have your cereals and bacon and eggs (boiled, scrambled or omelette), and there is fruit, coffee and juices. We stayed for 2 weeks and the evening meals varied every single day. There was loads of choice and it was all delicious. To accompany the meals, the local wine which the Amfora sells by the carafe or bottle, is very good and cheap, as is the local beer (Pivo).
We found there was plenty of room to sit out on the sunbeds if that is what you want, but you can also stroll for hours along the promenade and sit on plenty of benches along the way , However, if you want a pool to swim in, you will probably be disappointed. There is one at the Amfora, but it is sheltered and very cold. But the sea is clear and relatively warm, although the beaches are pebbly (so take or buy swimming shoes). You can hire the usual Umbrellas, etc on the beaches, or you can laze on the rocks and dive in occasionally to cool off. Lastly, whilst you are out walking try the ice cream, it is superb.

Room tip: A sea view room overlooking the harbour and bay is best.
6  Thank Goodfortheprice
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We returned from Croatia earlier this week after a fortnight at the Amfora Hotel. The holiday was terrific. Like everyone else has said a fridge is needed in the room if you want to keep medication or drinks cool but the room we had overlooked the sea and was adequate for us. Yes the rooms are a little old fashioned but they were cleaned throughout everyday and all the towels were changed daily whether they needed changing or not. The air conditioning was brilliant especially as most days it was extremely hot.
The staff treated everyone like old friends really warm and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I asked if there was an iron I could use and before I had left reception it was on its way to our room. We had a light bulb blow within the first few days and when we reported it at reception it was changed in less than an hour.
The food was really nice and there was plenty of choice at each meal. There was something to suit all tastes. The breakfast was also varied but do not expect to get an English breakfast as the bacon and sausages were typically Croatian. Every morning you could get a continental breakfast, cereal, toast, jam or marmalade and a selection of eggs and cooked foods.
We really enjoyed our stay here and will return again in the not too distant future. We will not hesitate to book in this hotel again.
We also met a local taxi driver who showed us a lot of the Istrian coast and countryside.He took us to places that where not on any excursions or day trip leaflets and was really knowledgeable about the area and reasonably priced. If you plan to go to this area of Croatia, we recommend you ask your hotel for this taxi driver's number. (Denis Negri based in Labin).
A lot of guests that stayed here at the same time as us praised the hotel and staff and some had stayed here a multiple of times and were planning to go back again. If we had to give this hotel a score out of 10 it would definitely score 9 and a half. The only downfall being the lack of a small drinks fridge.

Room tip: The rooms with a sea view are highly recommended. I would make sure that both balcony doors are closed when you go to bed as the dustbin men arrive between five and five thirty every morning and so does some delivery vans. The air conditioning is extremely good and kept our room at the selected temperature all the time. If you have difficulty walking or are in a wheechair this hotel is not suitable for you as it has bedrooms on two upstairs floors and does not have a lift. Rabac is also on an incline and tends to be up and down hills or steps.
Date of stay: June 2014