All reviews gardens leading overlooking the garden hula hula bar hvar town charming hotel minute walk on a half board basis breakfast spread pleasant stroll water shoes within easy walking distance a great sea view an update three star coastal path nice breakfast pebble beach
Reviewed 11 September 2017

There are two positives: the location in front of the beach and the gardens.

Everything else was bad. Do not believe the good reviews or the "tres chic" of the Routard guide. The hotel is outdated for its price.

We got two rooms, one room with the "ocean view" (and priced accordingly) meant seeing a bit of ocean through the trees (this should be sold as a garden view). The room was large and modern but the bed was terrible: it was squeaky and had cheap pillows and sheets. Also we were put in room 001 which meant having a toilet in front of the room that we could hear flushing everytime someone went.

Things did not improve when we had to move to a "garden view". The room belonged to a 2 star hotel. The bathroom was super outdated with a mini shower and old and a rusty sink. A TV from 10 years ago and two double beds joined instead of the double bed. Also, we are pretty sure that the hotel has never invested in buying new sheets. It is awful.

Every detail shows that the staff doesn't care about keeping a good hotel. Even the simple things as keeping the pictures that are hanging straight or a nice welcome in the reception are mishandled. The receptionist was almost impossible to find.

We also did not like the email asking us to review the hotel with a perfect score. It's good (and necessary) that they ask for feedback but that is just another sloppy thing to do.

Overall, the hotel has a lot of potential if the owners decide to improve it. Until then, avoid it.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Valeria T
Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel is in a fabulous location in its own grounds that go right down to the promenade. From the outside it looks grand and first impressions are "wow". Then you go inside and reality kicks in. We had booked a room with a balcony for 3 nights but were given a suite with no balcony. As we wanted the balcony I asked to change rooms and was told we couldn't as they had none available for the 3 nights were there. Then the receptionist called management and hey Presto we are given a new room with balcony. No complaints there.
The room was clean and tidy as was the bathroom but on first use of the shower you realise that it's bordering on lethal. The bath had no flat base, it was literally a half round trough, and the shower was fixed halfway along pointing away from the wall. Impossible to stand up and no hand rails to help. My wife refused to use it again as she was so concerned about falling. Having seen 2 rooms, both were similar. The bathrooms need complete refit sometime very soon!
Others have noted that you cannot adjust the room a/C units yourself, you have to ask reception to change the set point for you. How weird and unnecessary is that?
Breakfast was one of the worst we had in all Croatia. There was a dispenser giving what it had marked as orange juice but it was flavoured water. The cooked food was luke warm and unappealing and there was hardly any fresh fruit or bakery items for those wanting this option. On our third morning there was even less choice and what bread there was tasted stale. Only grapes were on the fruit counter in large bunches so everyone was handling everyone else's breakfast! I should add that we skipped breakfast on our second morning as it is not served until 8 and we had a ferry to catch. Everywhere else we stayed started breakfast at 7.
Security was also a concern. We were told to hand in our keys when we left the hotel so we did so. When we returned at about 9pm after a full day out our key, along with everyone else's was on the reception desk with nobody present to supervise. Anyone could have access to anyone else's room while they are out. Dreadful.
By Hvar standards this is a cheap hotel. When you stay there you will understand why. This hotel has the potential to be really first class so come on management, stop criticising the guests and invest in your future.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SussexChris
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel is really cute, and in a great location and in a great setting. But the first room we had had a bed that was so squeaky I ended up on the couch half way through the night so my partner and I could both sleep. We booked a two night stay and were asked to change rooms after the first night for some reason. Although because of the bed situation we didn't mind. Wifi is so slow and intermittent as to practically be useless. The manager claimed it was like that throughout the island, but when we changed hotel locations down the road, we had perfectly good Wi-Fi access. The Jacuzzi seemed to be non-operational, but we didn't ask about it. The buttons are so worn off you cannot see the labels to operate it yourself. So, all in all it was quiet and quaint but not without flaws.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Great place to stay, good price for what you get. Very nice breakfast. I booked a sea view room with a small two seat balcony.
Lush landscaping. and nice front desk service. At bottom of stairs is a nice beach with lounges and umbrellas (about 130kn for both or a plastic lounge for 40-50) About a 10-15 minute walk to old town, lots of food options along the way and the hotel has a excellent restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Rude staff tried to put me in a room that smelled of mildew. When I complained they tried to tell me I had to keep this room as I had booked a flexible room for my $200 per night.
I told them to check me out and surprise they found me another room. But they made me change rooms each day . One room no towels dirty bathroom with bugs and a broken window, another room with broken shades so light came streaming in at dawn , and a third room with a rock hard bed. The jacuzzi was broken the staff was rude and the breakfast was terrible.
The hotel ruined my trip to Hvar I will never go back and will tell anyone I can to stay far away.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Abe G
Stanislav V, General Manager at Hotel Croatia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Dear Mr.,
I am glad you say all that and you have put the same review on booking.com and on tripadvisor. That just said how mad are you.
You have made reservation for flexible room and you didn't want to move room, since you made reservation for only room left available for 3 days (different types)- and that was your problem.
At the end, you had to change room, but you made a lot of noise about that and argue with us saying that you don't want to change rooms. I have offered you to make free cancellation and go to any other hotel or private accommodation but you wanted to stay here.
And rooms which you get was suites. You can't say that staff is unfriendly because we receive all good reviews about our staff,
noisy? with bugs? if that is true I would make full refund to you.
jacuzzi is working and you have been there in the morning at 08:30 while lady was cleaning it and she put new water inside and new water is - COLD. Jacuzzi need some time heat water, you had to check it later

I am sorry you had problem and I hope you will be better.
I hope you will find another and better accommodation next time