See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 September 2016

To be honest, we were happy to stay here, room was so good and had Naxi culture features, we stayed here comfortable. But we are talkable, always want to get more interesting things from staffs, but some of them ingored us, maybe they cannot speak English, we just talked with our Friends, and went outside by ourself. We hoped someone can speak witht us, or maybe staff could guided us to the ancient town would be better.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2016

Booked online, and provided my US credit card to secure the room. When we arrived, we were informed that they ONLY accept Union Pay cards (China-based). Why then would they allow the booking to be secured with a card they don't accept?? We then provided a Union Pay card, but they couldn't figure out how to process that one either, so we were scrambling to find the cash necessary to pay for the room. On the positive side, They went out of their way to help us by picking us up at the airport, and by walking out to the street to flag a taxi for our return to the train station. In addition, we were provided with excellent personal attention by manager Silver, and they kept the room well-stocked with bottled water. On the negative side, however, the hotel does not provide a laundry service to guests, the building is poorly constructed so that even muted conversations from neighboring rooms (or TV noise) are too easy to hear, and street noise also easily penetrates the ill-fitting windows. Room layouts are quirky, closet space was very limited, and bathrooms were far too dark to shave or to put on make-up. In addition, Wifi service was slow and unreliable, and breakfasts never varied from the same tired, old Congee, green tea, and corn on the cob. I am unable to recommend this property, and did not enjoy my 4-day stay.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2016

We stayed at Spiritual Utopia for five nights. Rooms are well appointed (our had a gas fireplace) with modern facilities (incl. wide screen TV & movies on demand). Interesting décor throughout with kitchen facilities available. Breakfast was part-Western (eggs, cake) and part-Naxi, interesting and good. Lovely teas served all day. Jacky was quite helpful with tips for seeing the area, especially if you intend to do independent/cheap excursions. Airport transport was arranged and helpful. SU is in the old city surrounded by many restaurants and shops, but a bit way from the noisier (bars) central square. Pretty quiet for being in the old city, but that doesn’t preclude occasional noise from other guests or the street – remember you are in a neighborhood where people are living their normal lives. Like staying in the Beijing hutongs, you will see Chinese life around you. If you want a perfectly quiet stay, avoid the old city and stay in a new city modern hotel. Overall we were quite comfortable, and enjoyed the boutique feel of a small place with exceptional hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2016 via mobile

This is indeed a little utopia. It is saying guesthouse/boutique hotel of about half a dozen rooms located within the old town of Lijiang. My room very well appointed with a very comfortable bed, good heating, a beautiful and shower, plenty of toiletries, a flat screen TV and Wi-Fi. The staff are outstanding. They are very welcoming and helpful. Not only were breakfasts included, but I was also offered and enjoyed home cooked meals prepared in the in the courtyard kitchen. The English speaking manager, Jacky arranged a day tour for me to Tiger Leaping Gorge. As Westerner tourists are very rare in this town that is visited by millions of Chinese tourists each year I would have struggled to arrange a tour without his help. One great feature of this hotel is that unlike most hotels in the old town, this one is easy to find. Cars are not permitted in the old town so your taxi will drop you off at the main north gate on Jinhong Road. The place you need to be dropped off is at the Sinopec gas station on Jinhong Road. Cross the road, head down the little lane opposite, turn left, walk 50 metres and you are there. You will be invited to take part in Karaoke.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank rory77
yinxinshiwu2016, 業者 at Lijiang Spiritual Utopia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2016

Dear Friends thanks for choosing Spiritual Utopia as your accommodation in Lijiang, your approval for our "we're a family" culture make us very happy , in our culture , every single friend from all over the world is one member of our "family" , we hope every member of our family here could feel as comfortable as at home , so we encourage every family member to join us for cooking , chatting , sharing beautiful food and wonderful stories with each other , so we could enjoy the wonderful moment each day with our family members . We'll wait you get back home in Lijiang.

Reviewed 27 December 2015

This is a great place to stay. And the best thing about it is the staff here! Not only they are well-trained but also they make you, a traveler/guest feel so welcoming at this hotel. The manager, Xiaojian, is incredibly helpful. The first night I arrived he invited me to have dinner with their staff and a few other guests together. And we had a wonderful night! When I can not get a taxi to pick up my luggage which I deposited somewhere, Xiaojian offered to drive me there and get my things. Xiaojian has a good sense of humor so quite interesting to talk to. Another guy, A bin is awesome too! He cooks good breakfast and is always around whenver you need him.

The room I stayed was beautiful and artistic. I like the layout of the room and particularly like the lamps. It is winter and they have prepared the electric blanket in bed which I think is very considerate.

Comparing to any other hotels or B&B places I have been stayed, this one is definitely one of my favorite and I would like to recommend it to anyone who comes to Lijiang.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family