All reviews indoor courtyard very nice stay location is great sally driver china snow
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

This hotel is wonderful because of the great staff and clean areas. The common area is kept clean and is a very fun place to just hang out. The rooms are very clean as well. The breakfast is decent, but when in the middle of China, scrambled eggs and toast of any kind bring a smile to my face.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank cmac159
Reviewed 7 December 2017

I first came across Maple Leaf Inn from reading online travel blogs and upon further research, I was immediately attracted to its location. It is in Shuhe Old Town, which is about 4km away from Lijiang Old City, thereby potentially shielding it from the hustle and bustle of Lijiang.

When I first arrived I thought that its distance from Lijiang Old City would make it inconvenient for sightseeing. But contrary to my belief, I’m very glad that I chose to stay in Shuhe instead. The fact of the matter is; Lijiang Old City, though fairly commercialized and touristy, has some attractions such as Mu Fu and Lion Mountain that could be seen/visited in half a day. And if you don't have a lot of shopping to do, then you won’t actually be spending that much time in Lijiang Old City at all. This is why I find my stay at Maple Leaf Inn in Shuhe Old Town so enjoyable, as it is much more quaint and serene than Lijiang (also commercialized but much less tourists), and a morning or evening stroll around the environs of the Inn is extremely revitalizing.

The Inn is run by a Dutch-Chinese family, and the couple is very friendly and attentive to the needs of their customers, giving the Inn a warm, hospitable, and cozy setting. The standard rooms are extremely spacious and well equipped with sofa and television (which I thought was a luxury), and very clean as well. The reception is also happy to help arrange transportation to attractions around Lijiang (even with late confirmation at night, which I am very apologetic but also deeply thankful for), making my trip planning much more convenient and enjoyable.

However, there might be a bit of problem getting there if you have a lot of and/or heavy luggage, as vehicles are only allowed to enter Shuhe after 11pm and before then you would be dropped off at the main gate and have to walk 100-150m on cobblestone path to the Inn. However, if that is really the case, the Inn can pick you up from the main gate (as stated on their website), and that could solve the above-mentioned problem ☺

Perhaps the only area of improvement that I hope for would be more variety for the breakfast menu; and potentially having heating systems in the rooms during winter as it does get quite chilly in the rooms at night and the early morning.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Anna our host did everything she could to make our stay at Shuhe great. She was very attentive to our travel plans, and was very good at offering logistical information.

The hostel was located in a central location not far from the main entrance. We walked in without a reservation and booked a couple nights with ease.

Breakfast was a bit expensive for what was provided, but it was convenient for our 7:20am excursion out to the Tiger Leaping Gorge.

Note: the main area and the rooms are all smoking-permissible.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tim J
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

My partner and I had initially booked to stay for three nights at Maple Leaf Inn. As our flights were severely delayed we requested to cut our stay down to two nights, which they mostly accommodated, though charged us half for the night missed.

The rooms were very comfortable and the service was extremely helpful. We had a driver booked who took us up to the Snow Mountain Scenic Area (top tip, don't go if it's cloudy!)

The set breakfast was a bit disappointing; definitely go a la carte. Dinner, likewise, was a bit overpriced, though they do recommend good places to go to eat.

Given the layout of a kind of indoor courtyard, it can get a bit noisy in the mornings. Otherwise, we were very happy with our stay.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

The maple leaf in is ran by a Dutch man and his Chinese wife. It's a cosy place, tranquil and easy going. The kids of the owners were playing games with our kids in the courtyard. Rooms are OK. Spacious enough with airconditioning.
The staff is very very friendly and the breakfast is just brilliant. Take the bananabread!!!!
Shuhe is one of those towns were you go to, to relax and enjoy the scenery.
We had a great time at the maple leaf Inn!!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family