All reviewsdouble treefive pointsuab medical centeruniversity of alabamaparking garagewithin walking distancebit datedwould stay here againnext morningbusiness tripfront desk staffbreakfast buffetthe room was nicestaff was very friendlyhospitalshuttlesurgery
Reviewed 9 December 2017

Stayed here many times now, rooms are a bit tired but nothing to complain about. Staff is helpful and makes you feel welcome, especially the servers in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet is great and convenient as well.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2017

The 2 night stay here was very pleasant. The hotel room was very large (it was a corner room on the 12th floor), and clean. Wifi, and central air worked perfectly. The hotel could use some updating, and the elevators looked a bit worn out, but they worked fine and were surprisingly fast. Every person I met at the reception desk was extremely polite and helpful, and I dealt with at least 5 of them. Breakfast buffet was pretty ordinary in content, but the food was well prepared, tasty and abundant.
The hotel is in a very good location, just south of the downtown area. No stunning architecture is too be seen from the 12th floor, but, that's just the spirit of this town. There are some much nicer buildings closer to the very center. Near the hotel, there are some excellent restaurants, like The Fish Market, Newk's, and Makarios mediterrenean.
I also visited the Civil Rights Institute, which is an icredibly moving place, and a must when visiting Birmingham. It is quite a long walk away, so the hotel shuttle might be of help.

Room Tip: 12th floor corner room was quite nice
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Way to much road noise from the street below. find another hotel before you book a room at the no sleep Hilton Hotel.The location is OK , but security is a concern. The entry door to the parking area was never locked. ANYONE had entry to the guest area and rooms.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
japal331, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Hello robert c

Thank you for the feedback. We are a downtown hotel on the UAB campus and there can be some residual city noise and for that I do apologize. I want to assure you that our hotel is secure and we take our guests' safety and security very important.

I do hope you will come back and visit as our hotel will also be undergoing a full renovation in the coming months and the changes will be dramatic.

Regards
Jeffrey Palmer
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 5 December 2017

From the minute we walked in the door, we were made the feel at home. Hot cider on a cold night, piping hot cookies and friendly and professional staff. The bed was big, clean and comfortable, our room was quiet, we weren't hassled by staff early in the morning, the shower was hot with great water pressure... a welcome respite for weary travelers. Definitely recommended, would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2017

If you want a restful night, this isn't your place. Sirens all night due to the hospitals in the area I assume. Or crime? I was on an upper floor too.
And forgo the Shuttle from the airport. It's slow and the one driver is annoying as could be. He interrupts personal conversations with his interjections and then launches into this diatriabe approaching the hotel in his really bad radio announcer voice. Says every sentence ending with "THE DOUBLETREE". Blah blah blah blah....THE DOUBLETREE! over and over. So annoying.
Seriously, take a cab.
They are cheap with both points and cookies too. When they do give them, they are cold. The past two times, I had to submit "missing points" on the hhonors website to get credit. Cheap? I think so.
There's serious trouble with one of the elevators as well. It comes a few inches to level to a floor and then jumps down a few inches. Extremely dangerous. I've told the desk and I heard another lady tell them a bit later. They never closed that evevator. Just nodded their head.
The coffee lids in the room didn't fit the cup at all. I thought that was strange. So I remembered they have coffee in the lobby of a morning so I decided to get some down there to take to a meeting with me. It's down there I find out that they don't offer that anymore. "Managers decision" is all I could get out of the person at the front desk. That's all she would say. Then I told her about the non fitting lids, and she said she knows about that. If they don't fit and they know it, why do they put them out?
They tout a planned remodel soon. These aren't issues that can be fixed with a remodel.

Room Tip: All rooms are loud
Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Walter T
japal331, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Dear Walter T

Thank you so much for the response and I am truly sorry you had a poor experience. Being that our hotel is located on the UAB medical campus we do have a fair amount of siren noises.

Our hotel is in the final phases of planning our renovation and we are very confident that this will be a dramatic improvement to our hotel. Part of the renovation is a full modernization of our guest elevators as well and this will rectify any deficiencies they may have. I want to assure you that we have our elevators checked regularly and if they are not safe for operation we do remove them from service until they can be repaired.

I also apologize if your points were not issued during your stay and it is never a problem for us to go back and issue them if they do not automatically populate as they should.

I will also share your comments with our team as this is not the image we wish to portray.