Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast
US$ 152
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 169/night.

La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$ 97
  • Breakfast included
US$ 149
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 180/night.

US$ 109
Orbitz.com
All reviewszebra roomother guestsformal dining roomguest refrigeratorfive pointsdolls housered mountainsitting roomanother gueststayed here for two nightsfresh fruitour room was spacioussouthern hospitalityshower curtaindanielssheliamansion
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Cobb Lane and Hassinger Daniels mansion are sister properties and run by the same individual. They are both very charming, each with its own personality. Anytime I am in Birmingham now, this is where I stay. In true BNB fashion, the rooms each have there own personality. Breakfast was wonderful and plentiful , really you just can’t say enough for this charming property. Make sure you check it out! Easily walkable to several restaurants/bars in Five Points.
Do come prepared for stairs.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Sheilachaffin, Owner at Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

COBB LANE BB - What a delightful review! Thank you. So glad to hear you enjoyed both Hassinger Daniels Mansion BB and 2 blocks away, Cobb Lane BB. Both are 1898 Victorian Mansions on the National Historic Registry and part of the Five Points South Historic District in Birmingham. Cobb is an adorable middle class family home built by the tax collector and Hassinger Mansion was built by the Iron industrialist family and is 3 times larger. Both are scaled to the urban horse and buggy era of their times when wrap around front porches were like family rooms of today. Rather than TV, families would have sat out trying to catch a breeze before there was air conditioning as their children played on the porches and in the front yard. This meant you knew your neighbors and greeted each other as they passed by on the sidewalk. Curbs were granite and marble rather than concrete. Horses were stabled in your back yard, along with your servant quarters. Home grown vegetables and fruits were enjoyed. It is an era bygone which we enjoy savoring every day with our wonderful guests. Thank you for coming! Please come often. Sheila

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I stay at Bed and Breakfast establishments pretty frequently and generally really enjoyed them, except this time. The review below occurred during my stay at Cobb Lane Bed and Breakfast Sept 10th-12th 2017...

It all began when I called to inquire on a room, I was looking online and saw this Bed and Breakfast, I was having trouble finding details so I picked up the phone and called the location myself and left a message. The owner (Ms. Shelia I later found out) almost immediately called me back and since I was looking online she said that she would honor any discount that the online sites offer. I said great, I'll get back to you. About 25 minutes later I called back to book the room and informed her that Travelocity had a 10% discount if I booked during the time period that I wanted to stay in Birmingham. Ms. Sheila then informed me that she had just received 10+ additional inquiries on rooms due to hurricane Irma and she could not honor the discount. Man, I was a bit confused, I took it that if I didn't want to pay the rack rate, oh well!! It kinda blew me away that an owner would go against her word but I wanted to stay at an establishment like hers so I agreed, what the heck:)

The room was very nice, clean, pretty large and a bit secluded (I think I stayed in the converted basement), I really enjoyed it, I asked for another set of towels and it was brought to the room later in the day, great room service. However it would have been nice for the owner (Ms. Sheila) who took the reservation would have informed me at the time that I reserved the room that there was No internal access to the main house. I actually had to walk around the house on the outside uncovered walkway to access the inside of the house and you guessed it, it did rain on the 2nd day that I stayed!

It gets better, later in the evening of my 1st night I went upstairs around 10pm or so to put some ice in my medium sized cooler. I walked to the kitchen and saw a lady that turned out to be Ms. Sheila. I don't remember the exact words but as I opened the door to the guest refrigerator to see a full bin of ice in the ice maker the conversation went something like this: Ms. Sheila - "Are you in need of ice?" Me - "Yes, I do need some ice". Ms. Sheila - "Well try not to take much because the ice machine is broken and we need to save ice for the rest of the guests, there is a store 4 blocks down the road if you need more". Me - "OK, thank you".

Initially I didn't think anything of it but as I walked back to my outside room I said to myself, why in the heck do I need to get in my car to run and get ice; am I not paying for right to use the fridge and it's amenities? Isn't it the owners responsibility to provide ice", "How dare her tell me that I needed to leave the Bed and Breakfast to spend More money for doggon ice that the establishment should provide" etc, etc. But I got over it:)

The next morning I woke up for Breakfast, I love breakfasts at Bed and Breakfast establishments, fresh, plentiful, I was looking forward to it. I would have loved it even more if my biscuit was not hard as a rock, if my eggs weren't room temperature (I didn't dare to ask for freshly made eggs), if the sausage patty was not overcooked and if the portions were not kid sized. Crap, I had to go out after breakfast and buy my own breakfast to fill my stomach...

Day #2 - Woke up Early, went upstairs to get some bottled water out of the guest fridge (again, I had to go outside, up and around the house to the front door to gain entrance to the inside of the house). I saw a young lady making breakfast, I saw that she had fried some bacon. I kindly asked her if I can have two slices of bacon for breakfast, she looked at me bewildered then started counting the pieces. She then told me that she had to talk to her boss about it, I asked her if it was Ms. Sheila? She reluctantly said Yes. She counted the bacon again the, I asked her how many guests are here, she said 8. I asked her how many slices of Bacon were there, she said 13. I thought to myself, 8 people times 2 slices of bacon each = 16 pieces, someone was going to be short bacon. I didn't want to ask any more questions, lord knows I didn't want to put the cook in the middle, after all, she was just following instruction from her boss, Ms. Sheila!! I knew it was not her fault so I left and went back downstairs.

At about 8 Am I came back up to see if I had to go out for breakfast after breakfast to fill my stomach again and Lo and Behold, there were two slices of bacon on each plate, Shazaam!! Ms. Sheila ate with the guests as we spoke about the Hurricane, employment, entitled kids etc. Ms. Shelia poured a mean cup of Delicious coffee but the eggs were still cold Lol...

As I was leaving the dining area Ms. Sheila presented me with a credit card receipt for my stay, I swear I had paid it online already but I signed it and put it in my Wallet.

Now for the icing on the cake...

Most of us have Ice makers in our homes and most of us recognize the sound the ice makes as it drops from the ice making unit inside the freezer into its ice bin right?!?! So, as I was walking out of the door after signing my receipt I heard the familiar sound of freshly frozen ice being dispensed from the maker and dropping into the ice bin, I couldn't believe it. Maybe Ms. Sheila had the ice make repaired overnight when I was sleeping or when I went out for the day, maybe Ms. Sheila fixed it herself but all I could do was chuckle as I walked out of the door because I knew that this review would be made available for me to tell you about my wonderful experience!

Room Tip: The Zebra room was nice, large and secluded. But know that it is not connected to the main house.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Sheilachaffin, Owner at Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

COBB LANE BB -- ZEBRA ROOM. Hurricane Irma made land fall Sept 10 and continued its destruction for several days the full length of Florida, plus Georgia and Carolina coast lines. Birmingham had a nasty rain for days with winds but was spared the hurricane since we are far enough inland. Our call volume was 4 times normal from those seeking shelter but we could only accommodate some of them. Stranded unexpected families were showing up at the door, groceries were limited at the local stores since many items come from FL. Gas had run out, visitors reported, along I-10 in upper FL and gas lines were starting in AL. FEMA and AL Emergency Services requested all lodgings remain open and do their best to help visitors since 8.5 million citizens in surrounding states did not have electricity and were fleeing their state. We were tasked with handing out FEMA instructions at the front door to anyone coming in from FL. It was an emergency. Our staff was very busy trying to help our guests.

There are various inaccuracies in this review. Guests are not supposed to be in our kitchen late at night or during breakfast preparation. When filing an ice chest, they are told where the nearest gas station commercial ice can be purchased. Overall, this was a nice couple with interesting stories at the breakfast table but they were under stress. We think this review was written because they wanted us to shift our credit card processing to their company and we declined. We wish them the best.

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Cobb Lane B&B is a beautiful and historic structure; just what we were looking for during our stay in Birmingham. The house is lovingly and intricately restored with period artwork, photos, furnishings, and charming details in each room. Ours was the Southern Magnolia, on the top floor facing the street, and connected to a sitting room filled with Victorian-era collectibles which further enhance the setting.

Our room was spacious and inviting (though a bit warm during the night) and the bed comfortable. The entire house was surprisingly quiet despite being built in the 19th century. Our host, Sheila, gave us a tour when we checked in and made us feel welcome right away. The breakfast and staff the following morning were wonderful, and meeting some of the other travelers at the table was memorable and pleasant.

I highly recommend Cobb Lane B&B, particularly for travelers wanting the very opposite of a standard chain hotel. We felt naturally obliged to embrace the inn and its time period, notably when seeing the TV in our room placed out of sight and mind in the closet, and far less entertaining than the beautiful room itself. It was a subtle (and needed) suggestion for guests to momentarily disconnect from the now, and instead be present with the gorgeous house and its distant past.

We look forward to staying again next time we are in Birmingham.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Sheilachaffin, Owner at Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

COBB LANE BB -- SOUTHERN MAGNOLIA SUITE. What a wonderful review! It doesn't get any better than this when a guest understands the purpose of the Inn and its history while in the midst of their present. Their patronage helps keep the Mansion for posterity and future generations to enjoy. It is part of the Five Points Historic District which is also the City's Culinary District. We keep maps and photos of the nearby historic buildings for those who love to walk around and pretend it is 1898 again, like we do. Thank you for your thoughtful and caring review. Please come again soon and over time, try out all of the rooms. Each is individually decorated with a different theme. Thank you! Sheila

Reviewed 13 July 2017

This is a wonderful place to stay. Staff is friendly and attentive. I could not be there for breakfast, but they made me a breakfast to go and left it for me in the morning. Rooms and atmosphere are fabulous. Thank you to Shelia for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Sheilachaffin, Owner at Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2017

HASSINGER DANIELS MANSION BED AND BREAKFAST -- HERA'S LOFT ROOM. This gentleman was delightful to have as our guest. He stayed in our "modernist" décor room at Hassinger Mansion which features a white leather platform queen size bed in sunken area of bedroom, a sitting area with white leather couch, faux animal furs and fabrics, private bath, and private balcony with table and chairs overlooking the downtown. Often guests staying in that room remark at breakfast that they thought they were only guest in the house and are surprised to see all the others enjoying breakfast. This is because it is quietest and most private room. Please come again Patrick! Thank you for taking time to write a review. Sheila

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed one night. All in all house was ok. Owner Sheila was rude, impolite. I know because you get there and have to call her. You leave vm and she calls you back eventually. Then she tells you the code for door, where the key to your room is, etc. My wife needed to use restroom. She said she would have to wait until we got in room. I later saw a restroom within 20' of where we were standing. I'm sure it was for a guest room but just awful. Rude. Impolite. Bossy. Condescending. Never met her. She was off site. I'm not going to take any more time on this.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank wedekib
Sheilachaffin, Owner at Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

COBB LANE BED AND BREAKFAST -- ZEBRA ROOM. This review and reply are about managing expectations. Bed and Breakfasts are different from hotels where you usually walk straight in the door where there is a hotel receptionist, typically 3 persons/positions round the clock. BBs are generally kept locked in Cities since there aren't 3 position receptionists round the clock. The BB Owner/Manager responds to guests at the front door either by intercom or cell phone. We use cell phones. Door bells are usually disconnected since an arriving guest, no matter what the time of day, would ring and bother other guests who might be sleeping. This guest arrived a little early, we were still cleaning up, and we responded to their arrival and showed them their room. It was learned the lady wished to use the bathroom and she was shown where it was in her room. Their reservation was made by another family member and perhaps this may have been their first BB. We recommend that in the future, they make their own reservations and pick their favorite accommodation. We wish them well and did not intend our conversation to appear rude in any way. Thank you for coming.