“Our Favorite Chinese Food”

Black Pearl Asian Cuisine
Ranked #131 of 967 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 March 2017

Our previous 'go to' place has slipped, so we have been looking for another good restaurant for take out, quick lunch/dinners. We have found it.

The potstickers are great (my favorite), their dipping sauce contained slices of both garlic and ginger. Mongolian beef is excellent, as well as their curry and garlic sauce.

It is too bad that some local Chinese restaurants have kept their entree prices low (+-$8.00) by sacrificing quality, that is why we needed to find another restaurant. The Black Pearl has good quality ingredients, the food tastes great, and it is not too expensive.

The only dish that we did not care for was the won-ton soup. This seems to be a Birmingham area problem, as we have not found any Chinese restaurant with decent won-ton soup. Either the broth is too thin and without flavor, or they put herbs in it (cilantro?) to borrow flavor.

Excellent restaurant, glad we found it.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 February 2017

The atmosphere was inviting and the staff was curious and helpful. We did not have to wait long for our food. The restaurant provides an American and traditional Asian foods.

1  Thank Trudy S
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

I had been here in July of 2016. You can read my review for that visit. This time I stayed with the more Americanized Chinese fare. Had egg rolls and egg drop and Schezuab beef which had the right amount of "heat" to it. Service was still very good. I was not disappointed and happy to see that quality has not diminished over time. Still a must visit when in the area.

Reviewed 31 December 2016

The Black Pearl was located just down the road from our hotel. We were later in the evening and decided to get our order to go. The menu is extensive. They have the normal "Americanized Chinese Food Dishes" and then they have traditional Chinese food dishes that are on the paper menu and they have notebook menu that has many more dishes. Took a few minutes to decide and the person that waited on us was very helpful. Placed our order and about 10 minutes later we were walking out the door with FOOD!

The Hot and Sour Soup is very good. Wife got the Crispy Eggplant with the Garlic Sauce on the side. I got Chicken and Vegetables.. We ate till we were FULL and still had enough for another meal.

It is a little more expensive that some of the other local Chinese food places, but the cost difference is well worth it. Look forward to eating there again the next time we are in Birmingham.

Reviewed 11 December 2016

Food was okay, but be careful with the bill. Prices are about 40% higher on Sunday, but they don't tell you that in the menu. After I got the bill, I grabbed a menu, showed the cashier the advertised prices, and his response was that those prices only apply Monday-Friday. He did admit there was nothing in the menu itself to notify that to the customer. I asked him if he thought that was deceptive. He laughed at me.