See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 December 2016

As me and two of my friends walked into this hostel we were amazed. the aesthetics of this place are amazing, I couldn't beleive what we walked into when we walked into the courtyard area, which is amazing to relax in. The room was great (we were in a 3 bed room) with a good ensuite and comfy beds, the 3rd bed up top is really cozy too. The staff were very kind and helpful, basically if you looking for a great quality, cheap, chilled place to stay for a few days, this is the one.

If you get the chance, stay until a Sunday evening/night when all the tourists have left and the village starts winding down, its ridiculously peaceful.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2016

If you're looking for a place of great Chinese history, beautiful, good food, a family vibe, good customer service, good internet and a place that is not crowded (almost impossible to find in China), this is a good place to go. If I return to anywhere around this area, I will make sure to return to this hostel. There weren't too many negatives, other than the owner has a lot of stuff so some areas of the hostel can look a bit cluttered; although, these areas are few and far between. This is a great hostel and the owner is very accommodating to show you around. He also makes tea and understand's the Chinese tea ceremony very well.

Like another reviewer stated, it is a little hard to find, but so is most stuff in the town. Make sure to ask the owner or someone on staff to come and show you how to find your way to the hostel. Also, there are mosquitos everywhere, but this is not the hostels fault, and the hostel does provide things to combat the mosquitos.

This is a quite hostel, but not the most quite place. If you want a nice, simple, hotel like experience, this is not the place. If you want a place with character, with guests around the age of 20-40, this is a great place to go. It still quiets down at night (Also something not found often at Chinese hostels), this is you place

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in a six bed dorm. Location would be tricky to find but we gave them a ring at the ticket office and someone came to meet us. Nice touch. The hostel itself is in an old house not far from the main drag, fantastic looking with real character and a beautiful courtyard. There's numerous nice seating areas. The only thing that really lets the place down is the cleanliness in the bathrooms. There's only two, and a toilet downstairs, but they are filthy. Also, there is no toilet paper provided, which I think is a bit tight. There's no food option, but there's plenty surrounding places to chose from. I enjoy a hard bed but this one may have been my limit. Pretty much like a wooden board. They say it's good for the back though! I feel a bit bad giving an average rating, but for 600 yuan p/n, I think it's about right. I liked this place, but reckon I'd check out others if I was to ever come back.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2015

It has been a lovely stay in this Old House with wooden refurbished rooms. The courtyard could have been better taken care of, but it adds to its own "old" taste. The owner is friendly and helpful. It has been a great experience in rural China, altough Hong Cun is a major turistic destination.

Room Tip: 3 bed rooms
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2015 via mobile

If you want an "international" aka English-speaking hostel, well, they know about 5-10 words, so you might as well stay in a Chinese hotel: would be a LOT CHEAPER. They have no material on the village in English. No map (well, a tiny one on their card). It's location is just terrible: the other en of the village. Very hard to find. You'll definitely get lost. If you like animals, you got Mosquitos and spiders in the room. Filthy toilet seat. No hot water in shower. Weak wifi in room.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo