All reviews business hotel nice pool business trip perfect service big difference air con clean rooms dos campos swimming pool breakfast buffet is stayed for nights nice place to stay shopping centre comfortable bed excellent location hotel is located security
Reviewed 25 February 2014

A solid choice in SJdC. I've heard it is the best hotel in town, and I don't doubt it. That being said, for a city with so many international business travelers that work in high paying industries, SJdC really lacks truly amazing hotels. But the Novotel is very solid.

The hotel set up my airport pickup and it was perfect. R$240 directly to the driver, and I was at the hotel in an hour on the Saturday morning (it took 2 hours to get back on a rainy Friday night, but for the same price). I arrived several hours before check-in, but got right up to my room. The place was filled with local families enjoying the pool. Seems as though that's how the weekends work here - lots of locals enjoying what I heard is the best pool in own (it really is quite nice). On Sundays, it switches to mostly international business travelers.

All of the staff that I interacted with were very friendly. Most spoke English quite well, some spoke none at all. They pointed me towards restaurants and bars, called taxis for me, and were always smiling.

My room was basic but comfortable and clean. It overlooked the pool, which was nice, and was quiet even with all of the noise at the pool. The WiFi was free and usually good, but REALLY slowed down on the weeknights to the point that it was inoperable at some times.

The breakfast was good but not great. It filled you up, but nothing was wonderful by any means. I had dinner a couple of times and got mixed results - hamburger and club sandwich were not great but okay; Picanha was quite delicious.

The location of the hotel is okay...there isn't a ton around for food or drink, but if you're willing to walk it's 10 minutes to the mall or 20 minutes to some good bars and restaurants. They say to take a taxi when it's dark, which I did. During the day, I did a lot of walking and even jogging and never once felt fearful of my surroundings. Everyone in SJdC is so friendly, even to those who speak zero Portuguese like myself.

Will certainly stay here on my next trip!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Zacharius
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights. This is the first time I visited Brazil so I can't compare with other hotels there, but I saw several ants and one big spider in my room throughout the stay. I didn't bother reporting this to the front desk.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel is conveniently located off the highway and there is parking for guests. The breakfast buffet has a good selection. The hotel is a short walk away from the supermarket and the local mall. This is my favorite place to stay when I am in town.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank newchronos
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I always try to stays here. I spent 80% of 6-year campaign seeking new business in Sao Jose de Campos, Sao Paulo El Bella Island, and up north to Manus to great rain forest area.

Novotel here, books up fast, especially if its holiday with locals, large business event, and on weekends. Suggestion is to book before you travel is the key. The food, service, staff and management are all excellent at Novotel. At the Novotel you find locals, and business traveler from all over the world. The great majority of staff speaks English. It is of course better learn the language (Portuguese, not Spanish), a bit and customs too. It will help you enjoy the time you spend in the city more. This location is easy reach to beaches, mountain retreats, good restaurant, and business clients too. There are local mall close and grocery store like super Wallmart that has everything you need; all in a short walking distance. You can find easy to read maps for many location at the bookstore in the nearby mall. Good business services for guests exist too and children care too. There are more up scale hotels in this city; however Novotel yield the best value and friendly service makes this a wonderful choice.

Getting a renting a car, or taxi is not a problem; the front desk will help you and provide suggestion too. My suggestion is to arrange for rent car service before you travel to Brasil then you can shop for the best rate then pick up the car at airport. If you decide to stay here a lot, there all kind of discount you can find for frequent travel from in hotel services to shopping mall. It is manner how you seek a discount at the shop that makes the difference; majority of shops are willing to negotiate the advertise price.

The most important advice do not be ugly traveler, be friendly to all. It is a very close nit community! The cardinal rule to follow is wear only clothes that do not project you’re a traveler i.e. type of shirts, footwear and most specially don’t hanging an expensive camera around your neck while visiting different places. I had reminded these smart traveler tips to my work colleagues allot.

Room Tip: Better to ask at the time you make your reservation and confirm if it is still the best choice when you arrive. They will change, if better option is available at the time you arrive. I prefer the rooms facing the parking lot near the local street, not facing the front entrance, less activity. I find third or four floor rooms are best; however there two suites at hotel too.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank O2450AWMarkS
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

In general the hotel was ok
I arrived early morning and forced to pay early checkin which was very annoying.
The breakfasts is really good with wide verity of food.
the place as expected in Brazil is like a small military base with high fences and guards around.
I was the on business and needed an iron but had to go down to a special ironing room with a low cost dirty iron. One woul expect such a hotel which is probably based on business travelers to have an iron

• Stayed: July 2013