Pousada Penareia
Villas Jurere – Hotel Boutique(Jurere)(Great Value!)
US$ 140
US$ 162
US$ 56
US$ 69
  • Pool
Hotel ibis Florianopolis(Florianopolis)(Great Value!)
US$ 44
  • Restaurant
Hotel Geranius(Florianopolis)
US$ 47
US$ 40
US$ 88
US$ 78
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Sao Sebastiao da Praia(Campeche)
US$ 82
Cecomtur Hotel(Florianopolis)
US$ 36
Average 3/5
All reviewsbreakfasts were excellentpousadabeachessurfminibar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Just kidding. (But this is the way we feel about the place.)
We might be able to explain the bimodal spread of this property's rating scores, with most of them in the 4-5 range. It might have to do with expectations. What to expect? The neighborhood is not 'upscale,' but it was perfect for us (two 'mature' professionals who qualify for Brazil's "idosos" category -- i.e. above 60 years), as we have grown tired of the South Beach/Hollywood Beach-type scene. Indeed, this is an analogy some readers might appreciate. Think of five types of lodgings you might find near John U Lloyd Beach State Park near the FLL airport in Florida: (1) upscale Westin Diplomat style resorts, (2) Quality Inn intermediates (including Holiday Inn, Mercure, Ibis, etc.), (3) Well-kept family-run places that try to keep up (e.g., Best Western), (4) Well-kept but funky 'almost boutique' motels that reflect the character of the owners, often with laid-back ambience and associated groundskeeping, and (5) flea-bags no-tell motels. If you want (1), (2), (3), or (5), you should go someplace else. If you can appreciate the owner-run well-kept, funky 'almost boutique' motel with superb architectural design by architect-owner-manager-jackofalltrades Klaus, then this can be the place for you, and you will appreciate it as much as we appreciated it.

Klaus was a font of information about the area. We didn't want to drive and took a 25 minute taxi ride from FLN (~US$24), expecting to take advantage of the BBQ in the deluxe room or take a green bus to a restaurant. As it happens, there is a well-stocked grocery store 5 minutes walk from the locked front gate, and a refrigerator in the room. Actually, I misunderstood Klaus. We walked 10 minutes up the beach to the left (North), cut through a paved street out to the main road, drifted back to the grocery store, bought the victuals, and walked back along the sidewalk to the PP. Thought Klaus was going to give me the charcoal for the BBQ in the deluxe room. Wrong. Quick walk up the street, and within 10 minutes roundtrip I paid the ~US$4 for a bag of charcoal and had the fire lit. Wonderful steak dinner, with roasted potatoes and other veggies. Plus chorizo (sausages) on the grill the next night.

Superb breakfasts and Klaus' homemade breads have been mentioned by others as brekkie treats. For almoco, could have taken the green bus for a 15 minute ride to a chi-chi restaurant, but were happy to walk and bike. Lunch is a short walk up past the grocery store (6 minutes). Or , instead, we took Klaus' free loaner bikes down toward Praia do Matadeiro, where opposite the Santa Ana chapel there is an almoco buffet next to a sorbet buffet on the beach. Or, walk onward to the seafood restaurant on Praia do Matadeiro.

Some idosos need luxury. Others are happy with B&B hostels. We are in the middle. We enjoy the Westin Diplomat when we are in Hollywood, Florida. But when we are on Santa Catarina Island, we'll choose Pousada Penareia, which reflects values much closer to our own core values. (If someone knows a comparable funky place in Hollywood, Florida, shoot us an email, as we often are down that way. Haven't found anything like PP, and tend to book the Diplomat.)

Room Tip: Ground floor deluxe room has the BBQ, a hammock, and the outdoor garden with sliding doors extends the spaciousness of the room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Senor_Wences
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I picked out this Pousada from this site and I was happy to get what I expected. Lovely place away from the noisy Floripa. Clean room and bathroom with a good hot shower.Fantastic breakfast with home made pastries, waffles, natural juice, cold meat , different kinds of bread, and more, accompanied by very good coffee, which, in my opinion, is not easy to find in Brazil. The staff was also very helpful. The beach, which is great, is right outside the back of the pousada.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I visited this pousada with my wife, mother-in-law, and parents in a recent trip to Floripa, selecting it after researching Floripa accommodations for more than a month. The most important things to say about this pousada are that it lacks in cleanliness and we did not find it to meet the description on the website, or indeed in this forum. I usually do not review accommodations, but feel compelled to do so for future visitors considering this pousada.

OVERALL: 2 of 5 stars.

Location: We loved Praia Armação, because it was secluded and peaceful, situated in a more residential area. The Praia do Matadeiro, a 15 min walk, is absolutely fantastic. If you're looking for a nightlife, though, which is based around the Lagoa da Conceição, you'll want to stay closer to that area.

Breakfast: It's fine, but not exceptional. For those who are not accustomed to the types of breakfast typically offered in a pousada, it may seem like an "extra" or a "bonus," but it's quite easy to find an excellent breakfast of fresh fruit, breads, and deli meats (many even have eggs), and a variety of fresh juices at many pousadas. I travel often with my wife throughout Brazil (each time we visit the in-laws), and I would say this was the least impressive breakfast. It's a good breakfast, don't get me wrong, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have had better even at more humble accommodations where I stayed when I was a student.

Value: I would say this is expensive for what you receive.

Service: The service was OK. On two separate occasions, restaurants that were recommended were closed when we arrived. Part of the blame here lies in the fact that we visited about 15 days before high season began, but before recommending a restaurant, but before recommending a place, we felt strongly that a recommendation shouldn't be made if one doesn't know the restaurant is open. Further complicated by the fact that the telephones in the room cannot make a call outside the pousada, guests depend on the pousada owner to confirm such details.

Rooms: The rooms are basic. The greatest challenge, particularly in the bathroom, was cleanliness. There were notable mold stains on the bathtub basin, and the daily cleaning was not thorough. Sheets were supposed to be changed every other day (per the policy listed in the pousada's informational pamphlet), though they were only replaced once during our stay of five nights. Further, though I'm not much of a TV viewer on vacation, it should be noted that the cable television only works in the main library/recreation room--there were all of 4 channels that came through clearly in the luxury suite's television. The jacuzzi bathtub is very small.

SUMMARY: The five of us left truly consternated after our stay here: how, with so many good reviews here, could this place be only mediocre? I imagine that in another era, it was perhaps better. I truly don't know. While my parents, wife, and in-laws are generally more demanding than I am with accommodations, I truly felt this pousada to be lacking for the value. The location is marvelous, the pousada itself--nothing special. I would not return.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank EMBB2012
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stayed here for four nights and couldn't be more pleased -- well run, clean, and comfortable. The only aspect that rivals the pousada itself is its ideal location on one of Floripa's most beautiful beaches.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jleyretana
Reviewed 16 September 2011

i´v been here many times and i keep on coming back even though there´s still so many other places in the world i wanna visit. the pousada is very clean, well maintained, run by very nice and helpfull people, that know the island very well. the breakfast is certainly among the best best i´ve ever had in brazil: loads of fresh fruit, very good coffee and even tea !
the beach is is 10 second walk from the pousada and with the right swell direction you can surf right in front of the place or walk for 10 mins and go to matadeiro, where you´ll find another beautiful beach with good waves.
I´m sure it´s not the last time I´ve been here.
Have a good time there.

Room Tip: all rooms are equally nice. go for the luxury one if you want your own churrasco and a jacuzzi. the rooms on the first floor provide a little more daylight
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo