“Convenient location, staff could have been more accomodating however”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Mar Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #84 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
London, United Kingdom
“Convenient location, staff could have been more accomodating however”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Convenient location, nice and clean rooms. Liked the free use of beach eqquipment. However, the staff could have been more accomodating. When we checked in we reduced the number of nights we were going to stay (we had only prepaid for 1) which was OK but when we checked out there was much confusion about this as it had not been changed in their system. It also seemed to take a little too long to meet any of our requests. There is wifi in rooms which is great but if you need to use the internet on a computer you better find an internet cafe. There is one computer in the lobby, the internet crashes and is slow, and you pay by the MINUTE! When I complained about the quality and rip off price they did not care. It was also too much trouble for them to get an extra chair as 2 of us were using the computer. I asked if the hotel had a spa, which it did not, but they did not bother to tell me there was one a few doors down, or several in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our prime location.

Concerning the prices charged to use the business center, I would like to inform that all hotels in Rio charge for internet connection. I am very glad to inform that Mar Ipanema Hotel is the only hotel in the Ipanema/Leblon areas that offer complimentary wireless internet connection. All guests can bring their laptops, smartphones or tablets and use the wireless connection as much as they want.

This computer at the front desk is offered to guests for a quick use, for instance, to print a boarding pass, or to confirm a reservation. By charging, we guarantee that every guest will be able to use it if they need to. I am truly sorry if the front desk staff did not offer you a second chair when you were using the business center.

I will forward your comments to the general manager so that he can make sure that our front desk offers nothing but the best service on all occasions.

Thank you for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel, and I hope you can visit us again soon!

Amanda Abreu - Sales Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 3 May 2012

It's only a couple of blocks to the beach and it's located in a great part of Ipanema and had we not tried other hotels, I would have thought this was the perfect location. There's a grocery store up the block, several general stores as well as drugstores and plenty of shopping within a block radius. The front desk staff was competent though not as helpful as could have been. The restaurant attached is very convenient and welcoming. Breakfast here was also included and consisted of a great buffet as well. The rooms were great. We were on the PH1 level (3rd or 4th floor) and the rooms were plenty large with comfortable mattress and resembled a Westin in the 6 pillow per bed look.

This is a great hotel choice for seeing Rio. It just lacks the beachfront aspect that made Orla Copacabana Hotel better.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel to stay during your trip to Rio de Janeiro. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our location.

Ipanema is the most charming and lively neighborhood in Rio, therefore, the best options in shopping are all located close to our hotel. From convenience shops to upscale international boutiques, you can find anything in Ipanema. I am also very happy that you enjoyed our restaurant.

I was just worried when you said that the front desk staff could be more helpful. Was there any incident you would like to report? I am at your service if you want to send us an email.

Thank you again for your kind comments!

Hobart, Tasmania
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This was a good find thanks to other Trip Advisor reviews. We had the standard upgraded room which was probably a little bit too small for a couple - very small bed and not a lot of room for two suitcases. The deluxe rooms had king size beds and a bit more space so we would choose those next time - unfortunately the hotel was full so we couldn't upgrade once we were there. Other than that, we were really impressed by the fantastic local neighborhood which was safe, clean, and full of trendy boutiques and clothing shops - I walked around by myself a fair bit while my husband was dealing with Internet stuff and it was perfectly safe. The only thing really important to do is have room in your suitcase for all the lovely shoes and handbags you will find nearby!! :)

Room Tip: For a couple choose the biggest deluxe category rooms to ensure a king size bed!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your amazing review! Sounds like you had a great time during your stay with us!
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed our location. Indeed the area in which the hotel is located is known as "Charm Quarter", where the best shops and restaurants in the city are all nearby. I am glad you were able to enjoy and shopped a bit while staying with us.
The deluxe rooms are indeed larger than our superior and standard rooms, and have king sized beds. Apart from that, all of ourr rooms are equipped with LCD TVS, split airconditioners, ipod docks. And all rooms have complimentary wireless internet connections.
Again, thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on your stay. It will certainly help other guests travelling to Rio.

Lippstadt
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed at Mar Ipanema in November 2011 for 10 days.

The hotel has an ideal location in Rio's best district: Ipanema. It's only two blocks from the ocean, close to Leblon and Lagoa and the Rua Visconde de Piraja offers good shopping opportunities. There is also a bus stop close by where you can take a bus to the corcovado, the sugar loaf and other touristic locations. The friendly staff at the reception helps you to find the right line.

The rooms are very nice, modern and clean. The wood floors give a special, valuable impression. There is also free WiFi available. We had a room at the upper floors and did not hear anything from the traffic.

The restaurant where you get your breakfast is nice but can be crowded at the weekends. It is open in the evenings, too, and it is a good idea to stop there and have a beer when you return from your trip to Ipanema's night life. The bar is also frequented by locals and we even met a famous Brazilian telenovela star there.

The hotel staff is friendly and helpful and speaks very good english.

We liked the place a lot because it is not like one of then big tourist hotels, it is more intimate. We will definitely return.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review! I was delighted to hear that you would definitely return to our property on a future trip to Rio. In my opinion, this is the best compliment possible. I am very happy you had a great time during your stay with us.

Our restaurant, Armazém Devassa, is a very popular hang out location, not just for tourists or hotel guests´, but also for the "cariocas" (locals from Rio). I am glad that you were able to try it, and experience a typical dining/bar scene from Rio.

I can´t thank you enough for your kind words. I truly hope you can come visit us again very soon!

Wish you all the best,

nyc
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Very good location, felt like a good deal for the money. Beach is very close walk and towels, chairs, and umbrellas provided. Staff was very helpful in sorting you out, esp the gentleman on the night staff with the glasses (didn't get his name!) who had very spot on recommendations for restaurants and send us to cool places. Rooms are a bit small but everything works well and bathrooms have a very nice shower. Devassa cafe has a good breakfast (although the scrambled eggs were a bit runny for some in our group - but inline with the other hotels I've been to in Brazil) and there are other great restaurants in the neighborhood (in fact, there is one side street with several cool restaurants just nearby - sure the front desk would have the name - there is a really great tapas bar/restaurant on that street which was by far our favorite and had great sangria). There is also a nice restaurant with outdoor/garden seating about a block away from the beach on route from the hotel (with the all white facade). Only negative I would say is that I had a connecting door to the room next to mine and could hear them talking very loudly during the day (with the AC on at night the sound was much more muted). My room was totally soundproofed against the noise from the street - not exactly sure why some people complained about this, but perhaps other rooms were not as quiet (and I live in a city, so I'm used to a slight amount of noise). Overall very happy. The rio at night tour was super-touristy and is perhaps to be avoided (I was too tired and just wanted to not plan the evening) but the favela tour is outstanding - there is one recommended by the hotel and another by Zezinho (google him) which is a bit more adventurous (he will take you drinking all night in the favela if you like) and the people on the tour were interesting group. Favela felt very safe and I'm very glad I went. Tried to go hang gliding but the wind was too much both days I was there. Went to Rio Scenarium for live music one night - great choice and a taxi ride away from the hotel - was a good mix of locals and tourists and a very interesting place - didn't have dinner there and in retrospect preferred having a nice dinner somewhere else and just showing up there around midnight. Doormen were very helpful in getting taxis and when I tipped him 2 reals for getting one for me he seemed genuinely happy and appreciative - did it every time afterwards. Final note - much is made of the differences between the Ipanema, Leblon, and Copacabana beaches - frankly, didn't really see the difference myself (perhaps its more evident to the locals). The Copacabana beach was active at around 9pm and despite all the recommendations on the web to stay off the beach at night, when I drove by it in our taxi it was full of people playing beach volleyball, jogging, walking, or having drinks - I would just use common sense but all the warnings about Rio being so dangerous seemed a bit overblown to me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank drftwdsflm
Dear guest,

I would like to start by thanking you so much for your review! Sounds like you had a great time staying with us!

Let me try to help you figure out the name of the restaurants you mention on your post. The first one you write about is the Spanish tapas bar. The name of this bar is Venga!, and it is located on a street called Rua Garcia D´Ávila, a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Personally, it´s one of my favorite bars in Rio. The other one you mention, with the outdoor/garden seating, might be Balada Mix, a snack bar on a big white house on the block near the beach, good for a quick bite after the beach, am I right?

The reason why people prefer Ipanema to Copacabana, is that Ipanema is more of a residential neighborhood, more trendy, and less touristy. Also, the Ipanema/Leblon area is more sophisticated than Copacabana.

Again, thank you very much for you delightful review! It will be a pleasure to host you again in a near future.

All the best!