Very Good hotel for Rio standards (most are old, musty, overpriced, mediocre service, etc.), but not what one expects from a JW Marriott. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, bathrooms are adequate, A/C is good, they have in-room safes.... but overall everything is a bit on the small side. Windows are weird, just a few rooms have views to the outside, many look to the interior so being on the beach in Copacabana is not what you would expect. One nice "surprise" were some free Ipanema brand flip-flops (the up-and-coming competitor to Havaianas) which I dutifully wear back at home right now. The restaurants were good, I did like the Sushi place although it took a while. Breakfast was fantastic.
Speaking of Copa, almost universally people comment "You should stay in in Ipanema or Leblon" and the locals are even worried for your safety and the convenience of Copa. I've stayed here twice and find the fear a bit misplaced, but there are also cautionary tales. Definitely Copacabana was great in the 1950's, not so much today and there are more "happening" locations in Rio. Also note the Olympics and all the new suburbs/malls are much further to the South in Barra de Tijuca.
I will say the first time this hotel saved me because I had booked a block away at a Pestana that turned out to be crap. Overall good hotel, you can do much worse in Rio, believe me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The extraordinary JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro hotel offers seamless commuting to the city's best attractions, including Sugarloaf Mountain, Christ the Redeemer and a variety of nightlife, restaurants and golf courses. The world-famous Copacabana beach is just steps away from our doors, and Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport is less than 10 miles away. Outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate our proximity to exciting activities like rock climbing, surfing and sailing. Guest rooms at our JW Marriott feature elegant decor, plush bedding, marble bathrooms and LCD TVs with international cable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Rio De Janeiro
- Marriott Rio De Janeiro
- Rio De Janeiro Marriott
- JW Marriott Hotel Rio De Janeiro Brazil