Open today: 12:00 am - 11:59 pm
Review Highlights
Emma Platais is Simply The Best!

Reviewed 27 February 2018
John H
Boca Raton, Florida
Had a wonderful time with Lucas!!!

Reviewed 4 January 2018
Sara K
Munich, Germany
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 February 2018

My wife, Jean, and I visited Rio de Janeiro via cruise ship in February, 2018. We decided not to purchase the ship one day bus tour which was very expensive and would require touring in a bus with 60 other fellow passengers. We opted for a customized, private tour of Rio using "Rent a Local Friend" as our personal guide. We selected Emma Platais who Has a Brazilian Father and American Mother. Emma speaks perfect English and is a font of knowledge when it comes to Rio.

We contacted each other via email prior to the cruise and requested a one day itinerary inclusive of all the Rio "Must Sees" for first time visitors. Emma designed a custom itinerary that included Sugar Loaf, Christ the Redeemer, The Beaches, Copacabana Fort, the Botanical Gardens, the Favelas, and the Olympic stadium. Emma organized all tickets that had to be pre-purchased and we traveled through Rio in Ubers which were less expensive than the taxis.

A Bonus was Emma took us to a place that served the BEST Cappuccino I have ever had anywhere in the world.

We also requested that Emma arrange reservations for a Brazilian steakhouse after the tour was completed. She made reservations at Fogo de Chao which is situated on the waterfront with a magnificent view of Rio.

Emma met us at the passenger terminal and was waiting for us at the 9:00 am appointed time. She did not accompany us to the top of Sugar Loaf or the Christ the Redeemer statue but was always waiting for us at the designated meeting place upon our return. We felt completely safe with Emma even though Rio de Janeiro can be a somewhat dangerous city to visit.

Emma was our guide from 9 am through 6:30 pm at which point she dropped us off at Fogo de Chao. Emma left us at the restaurant but not before discussing with the manager who we were and how we needed to be placed in a taxi that would return us to the cruise terminal.

Highest Recommendation is hereby given to Emma.

Date of experience: February 2018
2  Thank John H
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

I meet Lucas in Flamengo, where we went to a nice restaurant for food and drinks. After two hours we almost got lost in really good conversation, that we forgot time ;). After an evening city walk through Flamengo we joined his friends in Botafogo for further talks and some beers. Lucas is very friendly, helpful and has a lot of stories to tell...especially his opinion and view of Rio de Janeiro, which is was counts when meeting a local! Thanks (again) Lucas for hanging out, see you very soon!

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

My partner and I were elated to have Michael as our tour guide for 3 days on our recent trip to Rio!
Michael is an expert on his magnificent city. He is truly interested in making sure you love Rio as much as he does. He is totally flexible and caters the touring to your interests.
One of the 3 days we had with him was a rainy one with poor visibility...he totally geared the day to activities and places whereby we still had an amazing day, despite the rain!
Finally, Michael's English is excellent and he is fun to be with!
We were really lucky to have Michael show us Rio.

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank Frank B
Reviewed 30 April 2017

I hired Michael to show my 3 sons and I around Rio in Feb, 2017. We communicated via WhatsApp prior to our visit and Michael picked us up promptly from our hotel at 7.30am, in his smart 4x4. It was so worth the early start, as we enjoyed the spectacular views from Christ the Redeemer and Sugar Loaf, without the crowds. Michael was very informative throughout the day and also very accommodating. We managed to fit in so much! As well as the statue and Sugar Loaf, we also saw the Maracana stadium, the Selaron steps, the Sambadrome, the cathedral, even a brief visit to a favela! We finished our day at a lovely private villa/arts centre with fabulous views over the city.
Muito obrigada Michael!

Date of experience: February 2017
2  Thank mjs32016
Reviewed 28 March 2017

In my case, I wanted to get some Yoga, Samba and Awe-Inspiring hiking in. Checked the box on all of them, but truth be told, the entire experience was so much sweeter than I ever imagined.

Emma is super bright, beautiful and spiritually gifted woman. She is a wonderful person, likely to keep you smiling all day and night, as you might explore a Favela for a home cooked meal, after hiking to one of the most breath-taking views of Rio De Janiero, or she might invite you to witness some authentic samba, where musicians share their passion with the world or maybe even a night on the town, where friends join together, a stone's throw from the beach, to share their stories...

Her presence in and out of the Yoga studio makes you feel at peace with everything that is going on around you. If you need anything at all, somehow she finds the time to get you back on track, pronto!

Her attention to detail and making sure that you're feeling good about your local experience, in general will surely make you feel loved, as much as one of your closest friends might do for you and that my friends is worth its weight in gold, especially when you are far away from home!

All I can say is that your vibes definitely attract your tribe. If you are fortunate to connect with Emma, you will surely feel that you have done a few things right in this life:)

Date of experience: March 2017