Open today: 12:00 am - 11:59 pm
Review Highlights
Michael Serruya was an excellent guide

We had Michael as a guide through Tours by Locals for a whole-day private tour of Rio. He was... read more

Reviewed 31 May 2018
Karen R
New York City, New York
Emma Platais is Simply The Best!

My wife, Jean, and I visited Rio de Janeiro via cruise ship in February, 2018. We decided not to... read more

Reviewed 27 February 2018
John H
Boca Raton, Florida

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I arranged a half-day tour with Alex. We traveled through the city with his vespa to go to the forest, for each important place in the forest Alex shared some interesting information about it, without being boring like a traditional guide. I had a wonderful time.

Date of experience: June 2013
2  Thank clives352
Reviewed 16 May 2013 via mobile

We arranged a half-day tour with Flavia on our first day in Rio. She gave us an excellent introduction to the city. She took us around the central district, showed us the main historical sights and also some more hidden places of interest, which was exactly what we wanted. She was able to answer all oir questions and we very much enjoyed spending time in her company. We woild thoroughly recommend Flavia and also the Rent a local friend service.

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank suemon38
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Tour guide Regina was excellent. Regina responded very quickly to my request for a booking and provided so many helpful hints in planning our visit to Rio and was very flexible when our plans changed a bit. Once underway we realized we had made a very good choice. Regina is an very knowledgeable about the history and culture of Rio, is an excellent driver, she has lots of tricks and tips thar make the tour smooth and full of doing rather than waiting, Regina's love for her city comes through in her efforts to make sure you see all the best Rio has to offer. I will definitely use Rent a local in the other cities they operate in. Thank you Regina for a wonderful introduction to Rio

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank leapn
Reviewed 22 March 2013

After reading trip advisor reviews, my colleague and I decided to try Rent a Local Friend for our visits to Rio and San Paulo. This was definitely the right way to go.

In Rio, we toured with Flavia for 2 days and got the full immersion experience. She is a delightful young woman and her fantastic English and knowledge was only exceeded by her driving skills (no joke, take up the option to have her drive you around to the various destinations). We felt that we saw all of the highlights at a comfortable pace. She took us to great restaurants and tailored the tour to our interests (my colleague is an MMA enthusiast and we visited a shop that sells work-out clothes only in Brazil). We couldn’t imagine a better companion for Rio.

In San Paulo, we toured with Polyana for a day. We used the subways (very clean and we felt safe) and walked. We did walk a lot (our choice) as it was a great way to work off the jet lag. Again, we felt we really got a good sense of the city – from the top of the bank building to the markets to Bat Man Alley (where we saw some great graffiti art). Polyana was another delightful young woman (I just realized I’m dating myself) and a very knowledgeable guide. She also was very responsive to our interests and we had lunch at a terrific place.

Both my colleague and I feel that we did indeed make local friends. I often hire guides when I travel and these two individuals were among the best I had. I’m hoping this service expands to other locals.

Date of experience: March 2013
1  Thank ssands
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Laís is the most lovely person you would have ever met in your life. Having her walk me around Rio was so much fun and informative. Rio is such a wonderful place and having Laís doing the tour in her city made it much more awesome. She paid careful attention to all my needs made sure i was happy with the tour all along the way. If any one is looking into the option of a local friend in rio Laís comes highly recommended.

Date of experience: March 2013