See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Very good quality hostel in a safe area. The Dorms (I was in a 4) are spacious enough with good quality bunk beds. Showers/toilets are clean and the shower strength/water temp just right.
The communial lounge/breakfast area is really nice with plenty of room and a good place to mix with others or be in your own space. WIFI also excellent.
The staff are really friendly and helpful.
Within 5 minute walk there are 2/3 lovely local bars/resturants but you'd generally go out of the area for a night out - Lapa is a short cab ride away and there's a metro about a 20 min walk from where you can easily get to the beeches/Maracana etc.
Overall all - A bit more expensive than most hostels but its worth it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BrummieGaV
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was a great place to stay. The owners were exceptionally friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good (nice coffee!), very clean and comfy rooms, hot showers, air con, and good cooking facilities. The location was safe, easy bus/ tube to the beaches and other sights plus an easy taxi back after a few chops in Lapa. Would highly recommend and happily stay here again!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 47Toby
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Spent 7 days in Rio. so we wanted to make the most out of it and do as much as possible. Jacks (the owner) was very helpful in organising trips, nights out and activities for us to do. Rio. is such a big place it was helpful to know which buses to get as its not always obvious from the maps!
the room and the bathrooms were always very clean - super cleaner! and breakfast was great.
very friendly and helpful! thank you! When i come back to Rio i will stay here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Travelling solo, I wasn't sure what to expect from life in Rio but staying here allowed me to relax and enjoy. The owners are really friendly and will go the extra distance to make you feel at home. I mentioned that I was interested in samba and straight away Jacques called his friend and arranged for me to be able to visit her band, and on another occasion he helped me buy discount tickets for an amazing gig in Lapa.
The hostel is clean and quiet, and more importantly cool during the summer. The lockers were medium sized but I felt safe leaving some items under the bed. A good hearty breakfast each morning.
Access to the city is pretty good - a 15 min walk to the metro or 5 mins to a busy bus stop.
I expect I'll book again soon!

Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Cafe Rio has to be the nicest hostel I've ever stayed in (and I've frequented a lot of hostels!).

My fiancée and I stayed in the private double called Esspresso. It was like a 3/4 star hotel room. The bed was so comfortable! Nicely decorated. Perfectly clean. Simply perfect.

The staff and especially the owners are great people. So warm and welcoming. They offer great advice on things to do, places to visit and how to get there.

The location is great too! Close to Christ the Redeemer, great eateries, pubs and shops. Suoer safe too! A bus runs straight to coco cabana and Ipanema for just B$ 2.75 from just 100m down the road and also to Lapa.

I'll definitely stay here next time I visit Rio and would recommend it to anyone planning a trip. Simply a great hostel. Thank you.

Marcus and Laura.