See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 October 2015

We were in Rio for the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race and this hotel was closest to the Marina. The views were fabulous. The room was basic with a huge bed (and a spare single in every room), had a seating area and the most amazing shower - huge with plenty of hot water. Breakfast was good with a range of food for everyone's dietary taste.
The place could have been cleaner and is a bit dated. The area has some character but is noisy at all hours of the day and night - working window handles might have helped with that. Sadly there were many homeless people sleeping right outside the front door and I didn't always feel safe, and the prostitutes were a bit of a shock, but this is Rio. The hotel has few amenities but the staff were helpful.
The Diamond was fine for our needs but not if we were looking for a beach holiday hotel.

Room tip: Room numbers ending in 1 or 8 had best views.
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 353gabrielled
Reviewed 22 February 2015

Finally - easily the best hotel i've seen in its range across Brazil. A hotel worth it's name and a joy to come to after the Grecian tragedy that the budget scene here.

Imagine some Arab Sheikh giving his bored wife $400,000 pocket money to play with, who used to study in London years back, who then decided she wanted to decorate her own little place in South America. This is a boutique done right, with a cheap place given the "luxury" feel.

It's straight out of W3: minimalist decor, modern feel, and smack in the centre of the Rio's rowdy Gloria. Huge walk-in shower, immaculately clean, low leather-lined bed, plasma TV, large mirrors on the wall, low ambient lighting, bar furniture in a "hallway" just inside the door, ceiling lighting, and glass internal hallways with a nice view. It's a small business boutique; the kind you get in Panama City or Rome.

No idea what the other reviews are talking about: dead quiet outside, extremely modern and well furnished, and extremely well-priced for the city itself ($80 CAD/200R on Carnaval). A little pot smoke smell in the hallway, Gloria's a little rough (taxis hate coming near St Teresa), and the breakfast room isn't the Ritz, but for the price, it's outstanding. I finally have a place to recommend to business friends who are heading to Rio.

Room tip: The front has the view, the back is a parking lot.
Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2014

I'm rating this property as "very good" based on what I could see about rio hotels in general. This property was relatively quite, clean, roomy, and we had a good view out of the sitting room. The electricity only went out occasionally, and it was never really a problem for us.

The elevator occasionally didn't work, but the stairs work well for us. Unfortunately for people on other floors, some of the doors were locked from the stair side, and the elevator was their only alternative without going all the way back down several flights to get help. I'd hate to have a fire there, but I suspect that every other property in this city is as equally scary when it comes to safety.

It was very convenient to the subway. It is also a great spot to check out the local working girls, though I suspect they're not hard to find elsewhere. The water feature at the entrance contains lots of friendly, peaceful fish.

It's a great place to stay if you don't speak Portuguese, as all of the staff seem to speak English well. Great fruit at breakfast.

Date of stay: April 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank TotalFoodSnob
Reviewed 25 September 2014

Stayed there for 4 nights during the WC. It was by far the most expensive hotel out of 6 in 6 different cities I stayed in during the World Cup and in the same time Diamond hotel was also the worst.
The location was what brought me there, as it is located right next to a street with many bars and clubs and also is between the stadium and Copacabana with easy underground transport. But the place was terrible. The street very busy, with prostitutes right in front of the hotel, showing their everything to everybody passing by. Dodgy people all over the place and you feel very insecure when going back to the room after midnight.
The room was at the higher floors of the hotel and it was very small, with no wi-fi and very noisy. It was clean with a good bathroom. But I was robbed from the room! Didn't lose anything extremely valuable, but some souvenirs I bought from the WC games, which was annoying. When I complained at reception, all they did was to ask the cleaning staff and they said they did not take anything. WHAT AN INVESTIGATION!
Breakfast was miserable.
The only reason why I rate Poor, not Terrible, is that I accept the fact that it was the WC, very busy period and it might work as an excuse.

Room tip: Some of the rooms are with good view of the marina.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank peshovuchev
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I needed a 10 day stay in Rio which I could use as a base to follow England in the World Cup with my 16 y/o son using internal flights from Rio to get to the matches. Accommodation was difficult to secure in Rio and I chose this hotel via the Tripadvisor website so had a fair idea of what to expect. The price we paid was high for the standard of the hotel but relative to other available hotels it was good value (£115/$180 per night). Our room 705 was a twin room (double and single bed) with a long narrow hall where free wifi reception was best. The bathroom had a large walk-in shower that worked well (high pressure and good temperature) and the beds were basic but comfortable and the tv facilities were fine.

The breakfast buffet on level 1 was relatively very good - good quality and range and my only gripe would be there was no bar facility in the hotel. That said, there are good local bar facilities just down the road and we really enjoyed the first bar on the left on leaving the hotel and turning left. However, it might not suit everyone as it is located close to an open area where several homeless people tend to congregate. We watched quite a few matches on their big tv screen here and were warmly received on each visit. Turning right on leaving the hotel is a good bar that appeared to provide decent 'pub grub' though we didn't eat there as just a bit further down Rua da Gloria was a good local restaurant on left hand side of road (yellow branding, forgot name) that we used most nights. Food and drink of good quality, huge portions and very cheap.

It is true that 'ladies of the night' market themselves on the road outside the hotel but they never bother hotel guests and their presence here is a function of the road system as Rua da Gloria is a slow slip road off the main trunk road and as such it lends itself to swift business for 'punters' in their cars with the girls.

The Gloria Metro subway station is 5 minutes walk, turning right as you leave the hotel. This is a very efficient way of travelling around Rio with each single journey costing 3.50 Reis (approx £1/$1.60). You buy your ticket at station of departure and the plastic card ticket is retained at the turnstile you walk through on leaving. At your destination, you simply walk through the free moving turnstile unhindered.

The nearest beach to the hotel is Flamengo which is a ten minute walk, heading diagonally, say 45 degrees to the right on leaving the hotel and the hotel will provide you with a very good map of Rio for free.

We grew to really like the local area of Gloria - the local people are very happy and friendly and my tip would be to relax and let yourself sink into the Rio way of life. A fantastic adventure and we are so pleased we chose Rio and its suburb Gloria as our base.

Room tip: Only one round two pin socket available for charging phones and laptop that didn't need the 'local' adaptor which was required for the other sockets. The 'good' socket was located by the main door, next to the power socket that needs your door key to provide power supply to the room.
Date of stay: June 2014