“We saw some sights, but I wouldn't recommend him...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rio Tours Operator

Rio Tours Operator
Ranked #33 of 437 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
More attraction details
Owner description: My name is Marcio Guedes. I am a Licensed Tour Guide/Operator and a native of Rio de Janeiro who lived and studied four years in the United States and one year in Europe. I have also worked as a Dietitian and as a Teacher of English.I can assist you with airport transfers, tourist attractions, restaurants, shopping, nightlife and off the beaten path places. Customized tours to do what you want at your own pace. Larger vehicles for bigger groups, from full-size vans to buses.I can also get excellent hotel rates and domestic flights for groups. I have colleagues who speak German, French and Spanish.If you wish, you may leave your phone number and I will get back to you ASAP!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“We saw some sights, but I wouldn't recommend him...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I am a huge fan of TripAdvisor, but I don't understand why Marcio has so many five star ratings. I will tell you my own experience which was dramatically different from most others. I booked Marcio for a day with my family in Rio, but I honestly would not recommend him to anyone. While he does speak great English, he lacks a hospitable personality and is not very knowledgeable about the tourist attractions or history in Rio. He rarely offers any information about the city, and getting the small bit of information he does have out of him is like pulling teeth. He took us around the city logistically flawlessly, but wouldn't honor our requests of which sites to see. He was on a sort of "auto-pilot" mode. After insisting that its best to go to the Christ Redeemer statue with a guide (you can manager just fine without), we were hurried down the mountain after he pointed out the parts of the city we could have seen for ourselves from the information provided on the sign at the top. After that, he drove us through the Santa Teresa neighborhood, and suggested some places for lunch. Marcio just doesn't have the proper personality to be a great tour guide. He didn't smile once all day, and was just a bit of a drag for visitng such a beautiful and bustling city such as Rio. When we had specfically asked Marcio to take us on a tour of the downtown area, he said two times that it wasn't possible because there was no parking. There is a metro system in Rio, and I'm sure paid parking lots, but instead of offering the other options, he simply ignored our request and took us to another church instead (since it did have parking, lol). When we got there, he didn't have any information about it! Luckily, we drove past the samba stadium, and I asked him to stop, and we had fun taking pictures in the samba outfits. He showed a little enthusiasm and information about Carnival in Brazil, but that was the extent of the knowledge he was willing to share with us. Overall, it wasn't a wasted day and he's one of the cheapest english speaking guides in town, but I wouldn't recommend him. Take you chances with someone else and you might actually have a tour guide who is happy to take you around and show off the best sides of Rio. Our last 4 days in Rio without a guide were fantastic and I absolutely love the city.

Visited May 2012
10 Thank Amy K
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Showed us a great time and we were able to see all the main attractions.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Started off at Copacabana beach and proceeded to Christ Redemer. Marcio knew all the little tricks to get us an almost private tour of the Mt. Then a tour of the favela, which we recommend, for breakfast. Then downtown for seleron steps and lunch. Finally finished at sugar loaf Mt. Marcio did a great job and was very informative. His van is nice and clean and he is a safe driver. Highly recommended tour guide.

1 Thank skyhigh60699
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“"Marcio is The Guy from Ipanema!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

We visited Rio in April for one week and loved every minute of it! However none of the experience would have been the quite same if we hadn't hired Marcio as our guide. He was friendly, so knowledgeable, prompt and very flexible when the weather wasn't so kind to us, when we'd planned to see Sugarloaf Mountain, Marcio had a second plan suitable to fill the afternoon with. Visiting Rio with a family of three generations, we had thought seeing some places might be tricky, however Marcio's understanding of our needs, i.e. to keep a 1 year old entertained, as well as the adults, the way in which he tailored our day and half day with him was perfect. Nothing was rushed; we were able to spend as long as we wanted in places and learnt a lot of fascinating stuff from Marcio.
Don't see Rio without a tour from this fantastic tour guide!!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Becca1983186338
Manila, Philippines
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

I highly recommend touring Rio with Marcio. We spent a day and a half touring with him. He adjusted very easily to the schedule we asked for. He also communicated with us constantly as we were staying in a rental instead of a hotel so it was not as easy to locate us.

He is very knowledgeable and readily answered our questions. He took the time to explain many different aspects of life in Rio to us. He was patient when we wanted to hang around in a place longer. Most of all, he adjusted very well to us given that my mother cannot walk long distances and when that is needed, we had to use a wheelchair. He gently but firmly insisted in my mom seeing attractions that she would rather sit out (later on, my mom would be happy that she did go down to see it).

Finally, Marcio speaks excellent English so for those who may have difficulty sometimes with understanding their tour guides, I can assure you that such would not be the case with him.

Thanks again, Marcio!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank sleepyinsomniac
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Go with Marcio!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of being taken around Rio with Marcio recently and I am so glad that we had him. We were only in Rio for a few short days and Marcio was able to accommodate our schedule. We saw everything we wanted to see while in Rio and more. Marcio was also able to make many recommendations for dinner and nightlife that we thoroughly enjoyed. I would without a doubt recommend Marcio to family, friends, or just anyone visiting Rio. He was reasonably priced and he really made our time in Rio very memorable!

1 Thank sschoenen