“NEVER STAY HERE”

Che Lagarto Hostel Ilha Grande
Galway, Ireland
“NEVER STAY HERE”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Ilha Grande is a bautiful place and well worth the trip but do not stay in this dump. I have stayed in other Che Lagartos and had a great time and assumed that this hostel would be up to the same standard, I was very mistaken. The staff were drunk most of the time and had very little interest in helping, they couldnt tell me what time the boat went to the mainland! The room 102 should be avoided at all coats. My bed was besdie the toilry door which slanted towards the bed so there was a constant pool of water beside my bed added to the smell of urine. The mould was a serious issue here also, all your clothes will get damp and obviously the health risks are huge. Also you will share your bed with lots of bed bugs, so get ready to scratch! There are lots of lovely little guesthouses on the island I suggest stay in one of them.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank c d
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I had a great room, the one with the view. Other rooms in the hostel were not so great. The view, the communal space were all great. Great location, but then again anywhere on ilha grande would be. The staff were a bit uninterested, some were friendly enough but the majority of them had no hints and tips, no passion for the island and what there is to do there. This did not stop me from having a great time however, there were many people staying there, I met someone later in my travels who stayed somewhere with no one else there and they did not enjoy ilha because of that.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Room was a bit dirty but otherwise very comfortable and with a beautiful view from the window. The staff were pretty friendly and they provide nice food in the evening. The kitchen is rubbish and really needs updating. Breakfast is also pretty good and there is nothing nicer than sititng out on the terrace over breakfast looking out across the beautiful Ilha Grande.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Before going to Ilha Grande I read the reviews online.. There are always bad reviews of places and I decided to give it a go. Dont make the same mistake I made!! I made a reservation and paid a deposit so my reservation would be guaranteed. Upon arrival there 'had been a technical problem' so my reservation was nowhere to be found. I wasnt the only one, heard loads of people with the same problem and everytime they gave the same reason. My checkin took me an HOUR and then,the bed I was assigned to was already occupied so during that nights party I had to move. In the end, after my stay, it turned out that my credit card had been charged and I am still trying to get my money back (but it took them 1.5month to reply on my email complaints!)

Internet was broken and nobody fixed it. The staff (the guys) were really friendly but they had no guidance whatsoever! They were doing what they could but the whole place was one big mess! They had no idea about the tours they were offering and I can go on and on and on about it.

If you go to this island, stay at one of the pousada's (cheaper too, the hostel is quite expensive!) and go for the parties to Che Lagarto.

I just want to say that in general I dont write such negative reviews and I am a real positive person but with this hostel I couldnt let it go unnoticed! Believe me!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank lindaz2011

Travellers are raving about these Ilha Grande hotels

Sao Paulo
Reviewed 2 January 2011

If you want to expend some of your short vacation on a paradise I strong advice you to find any other place in Ilha Grande. This hostel shows as an international class place but it is far far away from this. It' s impossible to find a professional treatment by the staff, including the manager. When they return your e-mails, they give you wrong info. They don't care about you, believe me. And If you are concerned about running out of time.... It's your problem.

• Stayed December 2010