“Well located for business. Terrible service and not family friend”
Review of San Juan Royal

San Juan Royal
Ranked #55 of 103 Hotels in Curitiba
Reviewed 19 April 2015

I stayed at San Juan Royal with my wife and baby daughter. Booked 2 rooms, a suite and a luxury apartment. Huge disappointment. Air conditioner did not not work properly, hot water in the showers suddenly became cold, noisy rooms. You can not sleep well, because of the noise and also because the curtains do not block the entrance of the lights through the windows. For the last, if you need to call the room service, I wish you the best of luck: service is rude, they do not try to serve you with cordiality.

Room Tip: Avoid corners rooms, too noisy!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 May 2013

I was definitely surprised with this hotel. Given the price I payed (around R$ 150 - US$ 75) I was expecting only regular accomodations and some usual problems I use to find in brazilian hotels, but it was the exact opposite.
I arrived very late on Sunday (around 11 pm) and was welcomed and promptly checked-in to my room. I was just spending the night for business reasons and the location was perfect for me. Very close to numerous government buildings around and a 2-minute walk from the biggest mall in town (Shopping Mueller). The executive bus that goes back and forth to the airport passes close to the hotel (a 10 minute walk or 2 minutes riding the cab).

As I arrived very late the room service options were limited to pizzas and sandwiches. I asked for a chicken sandwich and boy it was huge and very tasty! It was hard to eat all of it.

The room itself is very large. There is a small kitchen area with a sink, refrigerator and a big counter. There´s also a living room with a couch, two armchairs, a coffee table, a proper table and two chairs. In a separate area (with rolling doors) there´s the bedroom with a nice comfortable queen bed. There´s great wardrobe space also and the bathroom was very clean and the water pressure was awesome.

In the morning I had a very good breakfast, with lots of variety (milk, juices, cheeses, breads, turkey breast, salami, cereals, coffee and 4 or 5 kinds of fruits).

The regular checkout time was noon, but I asked for an extension and was able to go out at 2 pm, which was very nice.

There was a gym in the top floor, but there´s actually very few options of barbells and if I needed a workout I would definitely need to go somewhere else. The heated pool was broken.

Will CERTAINLY come back to this hotel when I´m in Curitiba, it´s a great clean hotel, with nice people and a cheap price for brazilian standards.

Room Tip: I believe every room is a good choice but the top floors away from elevators are always a good choic...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2012

It's the second time I have problems with this hotel. The first time I had reserved through booking.com and the hotel hasen't received the reservation. Since the hotel was full they gave me an upgrade to a very good room. This time I made the reservation and send an email asking for confirmation. There was no reply. Even so when I arrived there was the reservation and the keys ready, but when I got to the room, it was a twin room and I've asked for a doble room. Me and my wife were completely tired (it was 11pm and we just arrived from a 22h flight from mozambique) and the manager was completly arrogant and said to us find another hotel.
So we needed to find new hotel in the middle of the night.
I'll never more am going to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rafaelcbfc
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The hotel is in an excellent location in a nice neighborhood.
Rooms are tiny and I could not find a place to put my bag (yes, the is big, but ot so much). After complaining about the room size the manager gave us a suite that had the same tiny room plus a big living room equipped with a small kitchen and other facilities.
The lift is always busy and we had to wait for it for unnacceptably long times every time we wanted to switch to the room or lobby.
There was a queue for a table to the breakfast and we ended up sharing a table with other people after waiting in line.
Coming from a night party, there was no hot water. Ugly Linen and towels complete the scene.

Room Tip: You can have more for your money nearby
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2010

We were sent here from the Ibis reception because they were full.
At checkin the receptionist first gave us a wrong key-card; after returning down to exchange it he sent us to a different floor, this time the door opened on a room which was being restructured. Back to reception and we were finally able to lay down our bags and request the extra bed to be prepared for the kids while we went out for dinner.
When we returned the bed was still to be prepared; and we had to wait another 20 minutes or so.
Then the real nightmare started; the building is an all-windows one, right on top of a busy intersection; no acoustic isolation at all, it feels like your right in the middle of the street. around 2:30 am the traffic called down but the noise got worse because of some party in the room below us. I add to go down to the reception again to complain and request a different room on a higher floor. Night auditor did not speak english at all so he called someone from the party as a translator, he arrived in his underwear with a strong vodka breath, but somehow helped me out. 3AM transfer of wife, bags and crying kids to the new room went OK, so to speak.

In the morning again no one around who could speak english or even care to try some excuses.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family