“Good food--why was it empty on a Friday night?”
Review of Java Warung

Java Warung
Ranked #17 of 391 Restaurants in Appleton
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian, Malaysian
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic Indonesian dining in a casual atmosphere. Lunch buffet, dinner and all day Sunday is menu only. A perfect place for a night out with friends, business dinner, lunch from the buffet or take-out. Our casual dining area is designed to add to the dining experience by bringing a small sampling of Indonesian culture and art.
Reviewed 24 February 2018

My husband and I had eaten here several years ago once and liked the food. The experience was a bit weird--only about five tables occupied. Prices great.

We decided to take our daughter there last night which was a Friday. We arrived at 7 pm and were the only ones there. This was a big concern for me. Why would a restaurant be so empty on a Friday evening? It should be a busy time.

We were pleasantly surprised that everything tasted great. I had chicken sate with peanut sauce--yum. Hubby had goat curry and it was excellent. Daughter had pad thai which she said was consistent with what she's had elsewhere. Veggies were broccoli and something which I wasn't a fan of but hubby liked. Rice had good flavor but a bit dry. The complimentary egg rolls were a nice touch.

With our meals, we got to visit the soup and dessert bar that had two soups, fruit and desserts. The chicken lemon grass soup was very good. The miso soup was so so. We did a "dessert platter" to sample a variety which were mainly pies. All of the desserts were good.

Our waitstaff was very nice and attentive enough. Beverages and food arrived promptly.

Reason for 4 stars instead of 5? We felt a bit weird we were the only ones there. My daughter mentioned the TV show that does restaurant overhauls. What the issue here? Why do people not fill this place on a Friday night? From the few reviews I read, people seem to love the lunch buffets. Is it really profitable to stay open in the evenings if there is hardly any business?

Reviewed 29 January 2018

We have visited this place three times for lunch buffet and dinner, and everything was so delicious! We ordered chicken satay and baby ribs the appetizers, I had the spicy ayam bakar jawa and my husband tried the sting ray, they’re all so tasty. The spicy sauce was just perfect to suit our level of spiciness.
We’re willing to travel from Milwaukee just to have Indonesian dish here. Born and grew up in Jakarta Indonesia, now living in the states nearly 13 years always makes us yearn for our food but thankful now we can have it anytime we want. Despite a few reviews saying that the food here are not authentic, for us it’s absolutely untrue. The food just reminded us our home, even the satay sauce taste better than some restaurants we have in Jakarta :)
Anyway we were in Singapore one time and had sting ray but I think we like theirs more. Thank you for providing a good Indonesian food, we always enjoy coming here.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Order the Chef's plate #93 and for $12 you get 5 or 6 samples of wonderful cuisine surrounding yellow rice, as well as eggrolls to start out, a dessert and soup buffet. This is flavorful cuisine at its best., My favorite restaurant in Appleton.

2  Thank Jane B
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Java warung brings the real taste of Indonesian food. I love the smell of the grilled fish and how good it was, real taste of Indonesian curry, Indonesian vegetable soup, Indonesian dessert that I have never found anywhere else in Wisconsin, not just that, the price is quite cheap! For those who are not Indonesian and never been there, you can feel the experience of being in Indonesia, with Indonesian instruments as the music background, the Balinese batik table cloth, the painting and the decorations. I will definitely go back there

Reviewed 24 September 2017

The food is flavorful and well prepared. Today the buffet had Green Tea Cheese Cake. Wow. The desserts are amazing, too. We visit Java Warung often. It is our favorite restaurant and worth the trip to Appleton.