“Schizophrenic experience”

Ranked #17 of 392 Restaurants in Appleton
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian, Malaysian
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic Indonesian dining in a casual atmosphere. Lunch buffet, dinner and all day Sunday is menu only. A perfect place for a night out with friends, business dinner, lunch from the buffet or take-out. Our casual dining area is designed to add to the dining experience by bringing a small sampling of Indonesian culture and art.
Reviewed 27 July 2017

I have a love-hate relationship with this place. On the one hand, some of their signature items represent the most intensely delicious, flavourful, diverse, and mind-boggling meals I’ve ever had (the lamb curry is our favourite). Their food can be a dominate-your-dreams-several-nights-after-the-fact kind of experience. On the other hand, they are frustratingly inconsistent in their availability of these amazing dishes. We’ve come here a few times with friends and family and they’ve been out of certain key ingredients and dishes, which, had we known about it, would not have come, since we were coming specifically for those dishes. They were quite matter-of-fact and even curt about these absences, too, sometimes only informing us that they didn’t have the dishes we wanted after 20 minutes of waiting for our food, or even after already paying for takeout. The alternative dishes we reluctantly selected, moreover, were often bland. If I were their business manager, I’d sternly advise them to keep their kitchen well-stocked or at least to be upfront and prompt with their customers about availability as soon as they arrive.

1  Thank Molly A

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Not our first time here. But it's amazing everytime! I had #71 and my husband had #91. I can't remember the names, but next time, if get the #91 too. But both were great.

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

I was very surprised to find a Indonesian/Malay/Vietnamese place in Appleton! Cute little place. Loved the idea of getting a free veggie egg roll with the entree!
I had the Balado fish which is a home style of Malay dish of mackerel fish. Really liked it. If you like medium spicy fish, it's for you! Very flavorful!

Reviewed 3 June 2017

I wish I could come eat here every day so that I can try everything they have here. The food was absolutely amazing and I can't wait to come back. The taste, texture, and seasoning of the curry was 100% perfect. The chicken satay that came with my meal was perfectly cooked and absolutely delicious.

This place is an absolute gem with spectacular food!

Reviewed 3 June 2017

I was very impressed to learn that the delicious food I have enjoyed at Java Warung is created by the same artist who created the impressive artwork that adorns the walls. There is a homey touch to the atmosphere that makes it most enjoyable to eat there. The service is prompt and friendly, always willing to explain menu items. The food is unique & delicious, and the buffet is amazing with extremely reasonable prices. Vegan entrees are also always available. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone and everyone I have taken there has thoroughly enjoyed it! I believe this to be the best Asian/Malaysian restaurant in Fox Valley. It is also nice to know I am supporting a business owned by a local resident!