“Great location, Great room, Friendly Staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn Appleton

Fairfield Inn Appleton
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Appleton
Kentucky
“Great location, Great room, Friendly Staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

This was a very good Fairfield Inn, and the location was very handy to many eating establishments. The Machine Shed next door was in walking distance even.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KentuckyRover
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Milton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

The room was comfortable and clean. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Located within walking distance of mall and a few great restaurants. Only complaint was mold on shower caulk.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

I was a bit concerned staying at this hotel based on previous reviews. I'm Marriott Gold and usually stay at Courtyards. This was the only Marriott, other than the Residence Inn which was a ridiculous $229 a night (over what my company will pay) in Appleton.

Room was very clean, cleaner than some of the Courtyards I've stayed at. Staff was friendly. Fresh popped popcorn and lemonade when I walked in. Good location right near the mall. Even found a great sushi place (Katsu-Ya) downtown which is not too far.

My only complaint would be that the bed was very uncomfortable. They definitly need to replace the mattress. The walls are thin so you do hear doors closing and people walking. Also no exercise facility but they do have a pool.

Overall it was definitely acceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor not to hear people walkin
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Eau Claire, WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

I am a frequent guest of various Marriott properties around the country and have always been very happy with the quality of hotel and the value with Marriott-this hotel was the first time I was not. It is clearly an older property that is not being well maintained. The furniture looked ancient and banged up. The lamps had holes in the shades. The list goes on. The property was clean, but did not live up to my expectations of a Marriott brand hotel and did not measure up to the rate we paid to stay there.

Strangely, there is a laminated letter in the room stating you are required to give this hotel a "9 or 10" on any surveys. It states anything below that is unacceptable and that you are expected to come to the front desk if you plan to give a lower score. I found this letter rude, especially since this hotel was at best a 4 or 5. A property cannot demand a specific score on a survey or travel site to begin with-but this leads me to believe that they are getting low scores regularly and rather than dealing with the issues causing the scores, they are attempting to require theirs guests to improve the scores. Upon checkout, when asked how our stay was, I answered "mediocre" and the girl did not ask for any elaboration. Sorry management, but you are not a 9 or 10 property.

In addition, the hotel lobby is quite tiny. The weekend we stayed there was a large group of guests who took over the entire lobby all weekend long and loudly talked while eating their own snacks all over the place. When we needed a spoon, the desk clerk pointed and directed us to walk through this crowd of people (some sitting on the floor, it was very, very crowded) to retrieve it. She stated it was "a wedding party of something" but whatever it was, it further added to the overall feel of the hotel being trashy and uninviting. The pool area was also taken over.

If in the area, pay the additional $30 or so to stay at the Residence Inn. The location is equally good, but you get the quality of Marriott at that property and that is NOT the case at the Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WITravelers33
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

I was here for a 3 day stay recently. I had stayed at this hotel previously towards the end of 2010 but reluctantly booked again as it was the only Marriott close to Green Bay. The staff here is far from friendly.

The reason I didn't want to come back here are listed below:

One reason was due to the noise in the rooms. On my previous stay I could hear everything going on from my neighbors above and next to me on both sides. I had brought this up to the front desk and they told me they didn't have anything on a higher floor. Which was fine until a colleague of mine checked in later that day and was on the top floor without even asking. One of the other reasons I didn't like it previously was the dated rooms. Torn wallpaper, flaking ceiling, dusty fixtures were all reasons not to return. The last was housekeeping not changing a coffee stained sheet on the bed.

As for this stay when I checked it I had to bring it to her attention I had asked for a higher floor based on my last stay here.. She says "oh I didn't see that". And says sorry we don't have any 3rd floor rooms. I politely pointed out it was 2:45 and check in was 3:00PM. I asked if there were any rooms coming available as I could wait. She didn't even check and became rude and said no. I then proceeded to my room and then saw the same horror as before. A dated room with damaged walls, furniture, and ceilings. I proceeded to check out early and will not be back here again. Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business