All reviews city centre small details accor hotels wifi is free star hotel excuse character sauna hammam architecture term algiers smoking bathtub minibar
Reviewed 28 December 2017

Royal Hotel Oran is a wonderful and very well kept hotel steps from the central square Place 1er Novembre, thus the location couldn’t be better. While it might be the most expensive in Oran, it still has very reasonable prices considering what you get. It’s a true five star experience, and I was happy to return here after four years.

They offer complimentary airport transfers, which makes life easy! However, nobody replied to the emails I sent about a week and again a day in advance of my stay. I called to give my flight details, and upon arrival, was met by the hotel driver.

Upon arrival at the hotel, I was met by the manager who told me they had upgraded me to a junior suite on the top floor. It was roomy, very clean, well kept and well equipped. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had a wonderful bathtub. Water pressure was good and there was ample hot water as well as all the amenites you would need. The bathrobes were big enough for a Western man, a big plus for that! I also liked the small details: there were power outlets by the bedside table and the desk, so charging your gadgets was easy, no crawling on the floor required! The minibar was stocked with some complimentary water, juice and soft drinks, and it was even replenished as needed. Wifi is free and unlimited, but a little slow. Adequate for emails and basic browsing, but not for watching videos etc.

Not all members of staff spoke English, but there was always someone present to assist me in English when needed.

Breakfast was adequate, and the same restaurant also offers a dinner buffet for 3400 DA + drinks. It’s expensive by Algerian standards, but it’s extensive and the mains vary daily. I also tried the a la carte restaurant, where the food was of a high standard.

Staying at Christmas, I was surprised to find some Christmas decorations in the lobby and restaurant, Algeria being a Muslim country. I think it was a nice gesture towards Christian guests, just like many Christian countries observe Muslim holidays.

There’s a sauna and a hammam, both free of charge for hotel guests. Sadly, I didn’t try the hammam but on the other hand, it gives me a good excuse to go back and enjoy the beautiful if dilapitated city of Oran and the immaculate five-star Royal hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a street view room as some face the interior
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank ffay005
Royalhoteloran, Directeur général at Royal Hotel Oran - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2018

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your time to write us this wonderful review. I can imagine how much you enjoyed your stay with us through reading your nicely written praises, we appreciate your feedback and I would like to thank you for all your compliments. It may seem simple, but for hospitality professionals such as my team and I, it really encourages us and validates all we do on a daily basis and we are happy to see it turns out memorable to you. I have shared your comments with the team, we are all pleased that our service left you with positive impressions. Thank you once again and we hope to see you more again at ROYAL Hotel

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 December 2017

I had the pleasure to stay at Royal Hotel Oran few days ago, I was so satisfied about the service,
the staff are helpful ,kind and welcoming,
we got a nice room.
The bufffet was testy
the Hotel is just one minute from the TRAM , in good location where you walk to PLACE DARME & CORNICH.

YOU NEED TO STAY THERE.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Madagh
Royalhoteloran, Directeur général at Royal Hotel Oran - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2017

Dear Guest,
We would like to tel you our thankfulness for choosing Royal Hotel. Our team works hard to offer the best services to our beloved guests. We are sure our entire hotel staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
We will be happy to welcome you back at the Royal Hotel.
Best regards.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

This hotel is beautiful inside and out, the staff at the front desk and at breakfast was pleasant and the rooms were clean, nicely furnished and had extremely comfortable beds. I mention that specifically because I often have trouble sleeping if mattresses are too hard. Here it felt like resting on a cloud! In addition all the drinks in the minibar were complimentary, as well as a sauna and Hamam visit, which we unfortunately did not have time for. The location is also really good, just steps away from a lively downtown shopping area with various restaurants. That being said, there were many annoying yet easily correctable issues. The A/C in our room did not work so we had to move to another room after checking in at 10.30 pm. In the 2nd room, the A/C could not be turned below 21 degrees C, which just wasn't cool enough. Finally, before the 2nd night, a technician adjusted a central computer, which allowed for a lower setting. The magnetic key cards somehow discharged on 3 different occasions, necessitating returns from our 4th floor room to the front desk to have them fixed. The bathtub was horribly slippery; I'm talking ice rink! The treads had completely worn off, so that I actually had to put a towel down to stand on after my first treacherous shower experience. At breakfast, the tables were set but always missing napkins, random pieces of silverware or a cup here and there. On the first morning my toast disappeared in the rotating toaster. I added another one before I realized that neither slice actually came around. Instead they fell out of the back and I had to move the hot metal toaster away from the wall to retrieve my slices (toasted only on 1 side) from the counter. The waiter shrugged it off as a malfunctioning appliance. The juice dispenser produced a mere trickle of juice. The breakfast buffet itself was good, perhaps too many sweet choices like pastries & cookies, but I greatly enjoyed the small fresh baguettes with their various jams, which all tasted homemade. The natural yoghurt was also delicious. It was odd that there were potatoes and sausages but no hot eggs, only hardboiled cold ones. Overall our stay was fine but for some reason the Royal Hotel is one of those hotels you probably won't remember soon after checking out.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Hexy
Royalhoteloran, Directeur général at Royal Hotel Oran - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at royal Hotel and highlighting what you enjoyed the most. We would like to inform you that we are now under upgrading of our facilities to be able to provide more comfort to our guest. Please rest assured, we immediately addressed all your issues and are working hard to improve wherever possible.

We hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back and regain your confidence in our hotel once again.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Algers was polluted, choked with traffic, the centre filthy. Oran was much better. My companion and I were deeply in need of a hotel that was clean, well insulated against the traffic and with a wonderful restaurant - the Ambassadors, serving wine.

The rooms overlooking the courtyard are actually the best idea if you want to sleep well, as although I changed for the view over the street and something of the quarter, it was far noisier.

Most travellers appeared to be male and I had a long wait for a hairdryer, unusual for a 5 star hotel. The staff were otherwise friendly and helpful.

The decor is beautiful and I enjoy Orientalist themes and was content to be there.

Stayed: September 2017

Dear Madam
We would like to express our thankfulness for choosing Royal Hotel. Our team works hard to offer the best services to our beloved guests. We are sure our entire hotel staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. , However please accept our apologize for the time it took to have the hairdryer we immediately addressed your issues for the concerned department and we truly hope you will choose Royal hotel again as a destination next time. We will be more than happy to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

The place is magnificent. You are immediately struck back by how great it looks. The welcome is amazing, better than the sofitel in Algiers and every esthetic aspect of the place is fabulous.
But for a business traveler the essentials were missing:

- First room I was assigned (looked fabulous with a view on the main street) had zero internet connectivity

- 1 call and 1 visit to the front desk did not manage to get the tech guy to come and see why, so they reassigned me to another room, No view (the rooftop neighbor shack) and twin bed instead kingsize bed but at least I could connect

- Connected I was but little did that help as the internet was extremely slow and most of the time I faced connection timeouts

- The room did not have slippers, and that's fine. I realize this around 11 PM when I needed to shower upon arrival. Called the front desk and asked them if they can send a pair. The said they would send immediately. I ended up taking a shower and going to bed, then leaving a note to the cleaning staff the next day to get a pair as no one ever came up.

- The breakfast at the Alhambra was not inspiring at all. Had it not been for the viennoiseries the rest of the food is really not inviting

- Upon checking in, they preauthorize my stay value and a little extra. Upon checkout, they did not use the pre-authorized sum although I explicitly asked the employee to do so. Instead they charged my card again and as a consequence I have a held amount until mid October (for a frequent traveler this is extremely annoying). The excuse I was given by the employee was that the others who checked me in were on on the weekend and could not reach them.

- Finally, a minor issue, although the place was alway very clean, I don't know what they use as detergent but walking on the floor of the bathroom or any tiles surface in shoes produces a squishing sound like that of a velcro giving the impression the floor was sticky.

I chose this place based on my experience with Accorhotels, and the Sofitel in Algiers and although the staff were well trained and courteous all along, the whole experience fell short of my expectations. I expected more of Accord, I expected more from MGallery.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Royalhoteloran, Directeur général at Royal Hotel Oran - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very muche for your feedback!

Regret to know that you have faced some issues during your stay in the hotel. We will certainly inspect the areas you have pointed out as the mentioned shortfalls should have not occurred, the hotel is doing a regular maintenance check of all the facilities for guests comfort and safety. Further, please be assured that your comments have been shared with the concerned team. Nevertheless, we sincerely appreciate you for pointing out the positive aspects of your stay.
I hope you will consider Royal Hotels on your next visit to Oran so that we can better deliver upon the guest experience you deserve.

Best regards,