3,188 results
All reviewsdouble treenorth towerrevolving restaurantskydome restaurantcrystal citywarm cookieslobby barpentagon mallwhole foodsself parkingbreakfast buffetfree shuttlewashington dcmetro stationshuttle servicereagan airportfitness center
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We only stayed at the Doubetree one night and then only because the hotel we were originally at (Embassy Suites) was overbooked and wasn't able to add another night to our reservation unless we stayed on a smoking floor (yuck. no thanks.). Because the Embassy and Doubletree share a shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro - a convenience that we definitely took advantage of - we decided to move over there to get one more night in the city. I reserved a king junior suite and was told that I could check in at 2:00 when the funeral we were attending at Arlington ended. But when I got there at 2:30 our room wasn't ready. The gentleman at the front desk was very sincerely apologetic and told us that the only way we could check in right then was if we downgraded to a regular room with two double beds. Because we were anxious to change out of our funeral clothes and get back to the city for dinner with friends we agreed to the smaller room. But it ended up being totally worth it because, to make up for the inconvenience, he gave us a room on the 11th floor with a STELLAR view. He also gave us two nice, warm, delicious chocolate chip cookies which were great because we were absolutely famished. Our room was wonderful - clean bathroom, nice toiletries - but smelled a little mildewy. And there wasn't a garbage can in the actual bathroom (it was out by the vanity) which I thought was weird.

Negatives - aside from the smelly room - were few. The garage wasn't as secure as the one at the Embassy Suites so I wasn't as comfortable parking our car there overnight. Also, as some other reviewers have pointed out, the hotel has a "unique" lobby experience which could be kind of confusing/awkward/offputting for some guests. For us it was fine but I might think twice about staying there if we had elderly family with us or very young babies. For anyone else, though, I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2009

Yes, the views from our upper floors are spectacular and I am glad you enjoyed it. Early check in is never guaranteed, but we do try our best to meet that request. It really depends on when the previous guest checks out and how fast we can get the room cleaned. I am unfamiliar with the smell you are referring to, but will alert our Director of Housekeeping so he can ensure the 11th floor is smelling fresh!

I am glad to let you know that our on site security officers patrol the parking garage regularly. We also have a parking attendant at the exit as well as secure surveilance of the entrances/exits to the building.

It is interesting how some people love the lobby and others do not. Many people love the lobby setting since it keeps the front desk area away from the doors and unlike other properties you are not subject to the outside elements (everytime the door opens) while waiting in the lobby or while at the front desk. Having the bellstand and luggage storage in the lower lobby also alleviates traffic and congestion in the lobby area that you find at many other properties. To be honest, I am unsure what you mean by not staying if you had elderly or young babies. We have elevators & escalators very close to the entrance that lead to the check in area.

Thank you again for the positive review.

Feel free to contact me anytime

Reviewed 1 September 2009

The hotel charges 12 $ for in room internet use. However they are not capable to service the use. It took them 3 days to send a technician to the room, and to a lot of waste time to try to operate. My time was spent since they declared that the problem is in my computer!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2009

Thank you for writing the review on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry that you had trouble with the internet service provided. I am unsure of the dates of your stay, but have reviewed our logs and do not see a spike in internet complaints so it is quite possible the issue was on your computer, however without speaking to you I can not verify that.
Our wireless internet access is run through the Hilton Solution, which is the same service found in most full service hotels within the Hilton Family of Brands.
In addition to the wireless in the rooms we do have a complimentary internet quiosk in the lobby which has 3 terminals for guests to use. The quiosk offers complimentary printing, emailing, internet surfing, and even has ports for USB's.
I am sorry you had issues with the internet service, but this is not typical as we rarely hear any internet challenges that can not be resolved quickly through the help line or our onsite IT employee.
Please feel free to contact me anytime to discuss any internet questions or anything about the hotel. Thank you

Reviewed 8 August 2009

We came here on the typical stupid wandering tourist trip to DC. We took a taxi down from near K Street after spending a couple of nights at a 5-star. Honestly, the 5-star place was, in my opinion, awful, and coming to this place just confirmed my suspicions that, although not as well-located, the hotel we had come from shouldn't have been close to a 5-star compared to this place.
Sure, this isn't a 5-star either. You can date this structure by its exterior, and its interior is showing some wear and tear. But I got this hotel for an incredible price on Expedia (I was expecting something like one of those old, about-to-lose-its-branding Holiday Inns the price was so low), we got a room with an incredible view of DC (well, as incredible as it gets, considering that DC has a very minimal skyline), we were right by a subway station, there was a free (although inefficient) shuttle to the airport and across the bridge into town, and the room was great.
I hate to just dwell on the complaints, but they're minimal and, although I really enjoyed our stay here, I think some of these issues could be improved upon fairly easily.
When we checked in, the front desk couldn't find the reservation by name. I never write down confirmation numbers, so I had to go to the computers to pull up my email and write it down. I gave it to her, she found it, and then wrote down the name that was on the reservation to show us. It was the same name... To be fair, Expedia often seems to screw up and put both the first and last names in the last name field (hear that Expedia, fix your system!)
The building has one of the weirdest entrances I think I've seen at a hotel. There's really only one door in and, as a pedestrian, you have to walk on the driveway by idling cabs. Once you go inside, you're in this sort of pre-lobby and have to ascend a tiny escalator (large luggage be damned) to the next floor where, I guess, the "real" lobby is. You can also take an elevator up to the real lobby but you cannot take this elevator up to room floors, so don't think that you found a way around it.
The computers in the "real" lobby I alluded to above are public-access and free to guests while the wifi is, I believe, $15/day. However, there are no chairs if you wish to use these computers and there's almost always a line of people slowly typing their emails. Don't expect to rely on them.
My title of this review actually refers to the revolving restaurant which is, in fact, a nightclub. We made the mistake of going up to this place one night because I hadn't been to a revolving restaurant since I was a kid and I thought it would be a nice treat for me and the lady. When we arrived, we were greeted to blaring (I mean small rock concert loud) karaoke and a bar lined with poorly dressed older men creepily standing in the shadows. We ordered one of the $5 beers and sat. It just got worse, weirder and creepier. Then I noticed that someone next to us had lit up a cigarette and remembered that we were in tobacco-tolerant Virginia. You'll also be greeted by the smell of cigarettes on some nights if you pick the wrong elevator to go to your room (only one elevator goes to the top, and it's not well-marked), as the nightclub folks seem to continue smoking as they leave. Seriously, that was one of the weirdest experiences I've had, mainly because it was so ridiculously loud yet the place itself was so small. It was so unnecessary that it just added to the comedic awkwardness of the place. Doubletree really needs to just get rid of this place, because they already have a pretty decent bar in the lobby ("real" lobby, that is). The worst part is that they charge a cover (not cheap either) on Fridays and Saturdays after 9pm. So, yeah, don't go up there.
I mentioned it before but wanted to elaborate: the shuttle kinda sucked. They share it with a hotel down the road, so the one we took to pick up a rental car one morning was jammed full of people. It was quick and punctual, but uncomfortable, and didn't really live up to my experiences with the shuttles of other Doubletree properties.
However, I would still strongly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting DC because, seriously, you're going to be on the Metro a lot anyway, and it's difficult to be more well-located to a stop than this place is. The area around it is office-oriented with a few condos, and it does die a bit at night, but you can easily walk to restaurants and it's a very safe neighborhood.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank colinaz
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2009

I am glad you would stay again and recommend the Doubletree Hotel Crystal City to people as a place to stay on their next visit to the DC Metro area.

Yes, the lower lobby enterance is unique, but most guests enjoy this for many reasons. With the exterior door being downstairs any cold or hot air stays out of the hotel common areas which makes visiting the front desk, using the complimentary internet quiosk, or relaxing in the lobby more enjoyable. The lower lobby also can be a waiting area for people waiting for the shuttle if the weather outside is not comfortable. This helps alleviate the lines and congestion by splitting up the crowds checking in/out or waiting for the shuttle. There also is some meeting space on the lower lobby as well as the bell stand for checking/holding bags or calling a cab. As I mentioned most guests enjoy the uniqueness of having two lobby areas.

I am sorry that you did not find the Skydome enjoyable. The Skydome is one of the most popular nightclubs in the DC Metro area and does get quite busy after 8:30pm most nights. Along with guests of the hotel the Skydome has a very loyal following in the local community. However, if the night club scene is not for you please note that the Skydome opens at 4:30pm. It is not uncommon to find families enjoying dinner and the rotating view up until 8pm when the crowd becomes more adult themed. As mentioned there is a cover charge after 9pm on Friday & Saturday evenings and the line to get in can get long on these nights.

I am happy to hear the shuttle was punctual & quick. The shuttle is shared between the Embassy Suites & Doubletree, but with a minimum of 4 departures an hour there are plenty to handle the waiting guests.

Please feel free to contact me anytime with questions on the Doubletree Hotel Crystal City.

Happy Travels -

Reviewed 30 July 2009

The Double Tree @ Crystal City is decent place to stay when visiting Washington, DC. The free shuttle service from Ronald Reagan National Airport is really nice. We didn't have to wait long at all for a shuttle to pick us up from the airport when we got to DC. Our flight arrived at noon and even though check in is at 3:00 p.m., we were able to check in early which was really nice! There is a shuttle that goes to Pentagon Mall and the metro stop there, but it runs every half hour. It takes about five minutes to get there if you are able to walk it. That's what we did. Our flight back home didn't leave until 6:00 p.m. and check out is at noon but they store your bags for free so you can go out and enjoy one last day in DC. Very nice. They also have a nice lobby bar, coffee shop, and restaurant. The room was always clean. The beds are amazing, quite possibly the most comfortable bed I've slept in.

Things I was disappointed about: one night it was raining pretty hard out and they closed the indoor pool because of rain. Didn't make much sense to me. There is also no hot tub at this location. The pool is small and showing its age. There is also a lifeguard on duty which can be nice for the kids, but is odd for adults. We were planning on checking out the Skydome Lounge, but there is a dress code posted. "Business Casual, no shorts, tennis shoes or flip flops." We didn't know about that before we came so didn't even go up there to check it out. The bathroom in our room was also starting to show its age, but nothing terrible.

Overall the price was right and this was a good place to stay for the average traveler.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We stayed at the Doubletree Crystal City (very close to the Pentagon) while visiting D.C., mainly because of the cost. Everything in D.C. was very expensive, especially the parking. We booked through hotels.com and received one night free. We did call the Doubletree direct to add another night to our stay which they were very helpful with. The only problem was that we were not told when we checked in that we would have to check out and recheck in again even though we could keep the same room. We didn't find that out until we woke up in the morning and found our hotel bill under our door and called the front desk. We had 5 people in our room and every night, I had to call the front desk to request more towels, housekeeping was alittle slow bringing them up. Overall the price was good and parking was the cheapest we found $21.00 per night. It was a very clean hotel. They offer free shuttle to the Pentagon Mall to catch the metro, but the shuttle isn't always on time and we could usually walk there faster. There are not alot of resturants near the hotel, the Pentagon Mall has a food court, but we only ate there once. I think if we went back, we would try to stay in D.C., closer to everything.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2009

I am glad you had an enjoyable stay. Our shuttle does go to the Shopping mall, which does have a nice food court & many restaurants, but there are also many other options in the area. 23rd street, which is a 8 block walk (10 min) has restaurants of all kinds (italian, pizza, sports bar, chinese, vietnamese, topas, etc). There is also a small cafe adjacent to the hotel for a quick bite to eat.
We have a renewed focus on a speedy delivery of items so I am confident that in the future you will find the delivery time more to your satisfaction.

Thank you again for the nice comments.

As always, anyone reading this can feel free to contact me anytime!