3,217 results
All reviews double tree north tower revolving restaurant skydome restaurant crystal city warm cookies lobby bar pentagon mall whole foods self parking breakfast buffet free shuttle washington dc metro station shuttle service reagan airport fitness center
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I booked my reservation with Doubletree in Crystal City online through their website. I selected the package that included tickets for Madame Tussaud's wax museum and a set of metro passes for each guest. (Sidenote: On the website the description says each guest, but somewhere within the text of the reservation it did specify it applies to each registered adult guest. However, if that misunderstanding on my part was the worst of my stay, I think I will be just fine). After I made the reservations, I followed up a few days later with Terrence by phone to be certain that we could check our luggage before our room was ready and also pick it up after we had checked out. Their pool was closed due to an unscheduled repair that was needed, but we were only in town for one evening and wouldn't have had time to swim in any case. Additionally, the website had given me the heads up about the problem and Terrence told me the Embassy Suites close by was allowing the use of their pool for Doubletree guests. I also checked about a dress code or kid friendliness of their Skydome restaurant. I knew I would only have tennis shoes and a couple of seven year old girls... I was assured that during the work week it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, time slipped away from us and we didn't get to experience that treat. Perhaps, next time.

We arrived at the Crystal City metro station. If I had payed closer attention, I would have definitely used the free shuttle available at the Pentagon City station, just up the escalator and to the left. We did walk with our luggage the three and half blocks with the two little girls, so I definitely will pay more attention to those details going forward.

At the hotel itself, there was some construction that made it just a little confusing for our travel weary minds to determine where the main entrance was, but the signs were clear enough once we had a chance to rest. We checked our bags and caught a cab to the National Zoo. By the time we returned our room was ready (and boy were we glad because we were exhausted! We still hadn't clued in to the location of the shuttle. That was totally on me... ) Daniel at the front desk was extremely friendly. Our room was 617, which he explained was quite a bit larger than some of the other rooms. Since we were booked for a city view, he made sure to tell us that he could move us up several flights if we would like, after looking at the room. I opted for the larger room. They are remodeling, and the room we stayed in was not one of the recently remodeled rooms, but it was clean, spacious, and the view was truly lovely. The bellman brought our bags up, Alexis at the front desk arranged to have our tickets available for us, and we did get information about the metro shuttle at that time. We made use of it for our trip back to Union Station for a twilight bus tour. (Daniel at the front desk was very helpful in my search for the business center to print out the etickets). The shuttle drivers were friendly, timely, and the shuttles themselves were comfortable and clean. The well labeled waiting area was also clean, well lit, and comfortable.

At no time, did we encounter any noise or inconvenience from the construction that was going on inside the hotel.

The following morning, we checked our bags again with the bellman and grabbed the shuttle to check out Madame Tussaud's. We were able to explore the city, come back to collect our luggage, and return to the Union Station to our train back to WV with no problems. The very helpful bellman, Habid or Ahmed (he told us his name outside and I didn't quite catch it), was so kind. He even brought us all a cookie as we waited for the last shuttle.

I don't travel often. I always look for a good deal. My main concerns are safety, cleanliness, and comfort. All of our needs were met. The staff was kind. We had an awesome, albeit short, stay. Thank you, Doubletree! We will certainly stay again!

Room Tip: The metro day pass is only good from 9am to the end of the operating day. If you have a package that includes these, it is good to plan around that information.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank purplecowz
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read that you had a positive stay experience. On your next visit you definitely need to get up to the Skydome; even if just to look out at the fantastic view. Well worth it and I am sorry you did not get a chance to visit on this trip, but it sounds like you had a packed agenda. I am happy to let everyone know the pool has reopened!

I cam imagine how tired the kids were after the zoo visit. it is a lot of walking, but it is an excellent zoo and the price can not be beat (it is free!). The shuttle from the Pentagon City Metro Station absolutely comes in handy after a long day of sight seeing.

It is so nice to see that you had so many positive interactions with the staff. We work very hard to make sure each guest leaves happy with a good impression of not only the hotel, but also the staff.

We look forward to your next visit and we too hope it is longer! Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

We chose the hotel based on price and proximity to the metro station. At check in the agent was polite and smiling but knew nothing about the Hilton rewards program, I don't need an expert but the staff should be able to answer basic questions or be a little more tactful than, "I really don't know anything about that." That doesn't represent management well. We also found at check in the pool was out of service, not their fault yet disappointing. Also, beware, the parking fee is exorbitant. Around $30! Not a biggie but they really nickle and dime you considering Internet has a fee as well. The room was clean and comfy but a little shabby, two of the lamps were malfunctioning, the bedside lamp had a short and the bulb fixture in the stand-up lamp for the entire room was broken and just kinda hanging in the lamp, though it did work. The wall paper in the bathroom was also peeling and the phone in the bathroom did not work. Not that I really care or use these items but a Hilton property, I would expect, should have far greater preventitive maintenance on the items I mentioned. When you pay for the Hilton name you expect a higher service commitment. Overall, my wife and I were pleased but we did notice a handful of shortcomings at this property. However, the staff are very nice and the hotel is clean. I would return.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank tripmantrav
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Thank you for the review. I am sorry that the agent was not able to answer your questions on HHonors. You are correct that the agents should be able to answer the basic questions on the program. I will share your comment with the Director of Front Office so she can go over the program with her staff. If you still have questions, please feel free to contact me so I can try and answer them for you.

I can understand why the pool being closed for an unscheduled fix was disappointing. We are hoping it reopens this week. My apologies that it was closed during your visit. In all honesty, it is not correct to label our parking prices as exorbitant without knowing the area costs. The average hotel parking price in Arlington is $25.00 and ours is $23.00. There is a valet option for $28, but self park is $23. I can understand why if a guest comes from an area that does not charge for parking why there would be sticker shock seeing the parking charges. However, there is not a hotel lot that I am familiar with in Arlington that offers complimentary parking; even the shopping malls charge for parking. If you found our parking price high, you would have been floored by the cost of lots inside DC as there are hotels that charge as high as $45 per night. Also, keep in mind the parking charge is listed on the reservation confirmation and also on line. We do not hide it as we do not want our guests to be surprised. I am sorry you found this charge to be high.

The choice to charge for the Internet is not one made at the hotel, but at the Corporate level. Hilton Worldwide has decided to charge for the Internet at all full service properties (Doubletree, Hilton, and Embassy Suites). This is the same decision made at all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) as they too charge for the Internet at all full service hotels. We do offer complimentary wireless Internet in the lobby & Lobby Bar (when it reopens) and have computers in the lobby that offer wired Internet. Starting in June, our business center will also begin offering this complimentary.

My apologies for the condition of the room. The Director of Housekeeping and Engineering will be made aware. The light bulbs should have been replaced prior to check in. I am glad you indicated you would return as we would love to have you back. Please advise me prior to your arrival and I will try to upgrade you to one of our newly renovated suites. I am confident you will find that the room condition of these suites exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone that reads my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Had a good experience at the Double Tree. Walking distance from the Pentagon City Mall and Metro station. Paint smells from the construction were unpleasant but the hotel staff was very helpful. Skydome lounge was a nice place to unwind and enjoy a meal.

Room Tip: ask for a room that overlooks DC sights
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I am glad you were able to enjoy the short walk (7-10 minutes) to the Pentagon City Metro Station & Shopping mall. Of course, after a tough day of sight seeing some may prefer the shuttle, which is complimentary and runs on a continuous loop from 7am - 10:00pm.

My apologies for the paint smells. We have worked hard to minimize this by having more air movement through fans & vents as well as nice smelling air fresheners. I am happy to let you know that being the renovation process is almost over this will not be a challenge moving forward. I do want to point out that this is only the 2nd comment I have received on the paint smells since the renovation began.

Thank you for the kind comments on the staff and the Skydome. I really believe there is no better place to unwind then the Skydome. The views are fantastic, the revolving lounge is unique, and the staff is friendly. I always recommend every guest goes up there, even if not to eat or drink, but just to see the views.

I appreciate the review and as always, I invite anyone that reads my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Was here for a convention on a master bill so I don’t know the rate that was paid. Hotel is located about a 5-10 minute walk to The Pentagon City Mall and Metro Station. They run free a shuttle to the mall every 30 minutes or so, but its an easy walk so never used the shuttle. Both the Smithsonian museums and DCA airport are only two metro stops away (in opposite directions) from the Pentagon City Metro stop. So if you are flying into DC to see the sights, shop, and don’t want to take a cab or rent a car, this hotel is ideally located. I think they have a free shuttle bus to the airport too.

The property was exactly what you’d expect from a Sheraton, Doubletree, Marriott, Hilton, or other business hotel anywhere in the world. No surprises, totally predictable and generic, but easy! Room was clean and well-maintained, front desk service was prompt and cordial. No rants, no raves.

The hotel is currently under renovation so not all the public spaces were open. The rooftop pool was drained so couldn’t use that but the hotel gym was freshly renovated and well equipped. The gym had about 4 elliptical trainer, 5 treadmills, some stair climbers and a host of circuit machines and free weights, far better than most hotels in this class. I didn’t eat at any of the hotel’s restaurants so can’t comment on those amenities.

If you are looking for character or romance, look elsewhere. But if you just want well-maintained, safe accommodations in a good location this is a decent option.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank globedecker
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you for your review. While I am happy you had a good experience, I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. We are working on setting our hotel apart from the competition and hope you will return for another stay. As you can tell from other reviews, our staff typically receives high marks, but I am sorry they seemed generic to you. It is good feedback and will most definitely work on that.

I am glad the weather cooperated to allow you to enjoy the quick walk to the Metro. yes, you are correct, along with the complimentary shuttle to the Metro/Mall, we offer one to Reagan Airport too.

The fitness center is the largest fitness room of any single hotel in the area. Being we are the closest hotel to the Pentagon, we know how important it is to our guests to be able to get a powerful daily work out.

Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone reading this response to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

My experience at the DoubleTree was excellent. I reserved a king deluxe suite w/ balcony for valentine's day at a good price (through one of their specials). What I was impressed with most is how clean the room was and the bathroom was spotless. I usually where shower shoes when I go to hotels but this particular room seem like it was brand new. The room came with a nice size minifridge, microwave, sink, and had a big spacious balcony. The only problem I had with the balcony was privacy issues. Everybody could see what I am doing and I had a great view into other rooms.
My boyfriend and I visited the Skydome to have drinks and eat.He loved his Long Island and the food was good too. The Skydome just put the icing on the cake because the floor rotates and you can see some parts of dc.
I will recommend this hotel to anybody, especially the suites.
Also, like any other hotel, you have to pay to park- $28 per day for valet or $23 per day to self park.

Room Tip: Reserve a Suite
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amber S

Thank you for your review. I am so happy we were able to help make Valentine's Day a special one for you & your boyfriend. It is nice to read you enjoyed the new suite and the amenities it offered.

The balconies all face Reagan Airport and offer nice views of Washington DC, Reagan Airport, and the Potomac River. Next to the hotel is a condominium (not owned by the hotel) and if you look to the side you can see the building.

There is no where in the area that can offer the same awesome experience that the Skydome can. It is truely unique. The rotating floor along with the fantastic iews of all the DC monuments, Reagan Airport, the Pentagon, and the Potomac River offer a stunning backdrop to a very nice meal. I really recommend all of our guests go up there; even if not to eat or drink, but just to take in the view.

Thank you again for the review and the great recommendations. We hope you return soon and as always I invite anyone reading this response to contact me anytime.

Happy travels --