“Got To Love Kimptons”

GreenLeadersGold level
Norwalk, CT
“Got To Love Kimptons”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Kimptons really know how to do it right! This one has a perfect location (made it to the Mall in DC in 10 minutes) a great restaurant, and a neat courtyard. Of course you get that great Kimpton service and cleanliness too. Alexandria is a great town to visit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CTLovetotravel
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear CTLovetotravel,

Thank you for your review! And for telling people about how wonderful Alexandria is to visit as well! We look forward to having you back down here again soon!

Safe Travels,

Matt
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
rural hinterland
Reviewed 23 April 2012

After our first 2 Kimpton stays in Philly and Washington (look up Parts 1 and 2 from my account), we gave this Kimpton hotel a try, and we are so absolutely happy we did!

Arrove by train from Philadelphia and were brought by the FREE King Street Trolley right up to the hotel's door, we were then greated nicely by the front desk staff.

We were actually early, it was around noon when we arrove, and since our booked Loft Suite was ready, clean and unoccupied, we were given an early check in (without any fees or extra charges or so! Some other hotels try this trick to pick your pocket book, but they don't!).

Now this Loft Suite is amazing! I LOVED LOVED LOVED this room! It is actually on 2 levels! This way they have made the perfectly best of a smaller room with high ceilings.

I had previously stayed at another Baltimore hotel (non Kimpton) with high ceilings, but those were useless, since the room was small and the huge space towards the ceiling was simply unused. Not here! This actually had an upper floor! I hope my pictures will give a better explanation.

When you open the door on the fifth floor, you will enter into a smaller living room, on the side right after the door is a small toilet room with sink.

Actually, it is not really small, I should not say that, because in other hotels this space might make up the whole bath room... Here it was a good size bath room but only with toilet and counter/sink in it. And it had toiletries just like a regular bathroom! Nice touch, I liked that and noted it positively!

On the other side from the entry door is a closet, where you can put your outdoor clothes in. It also has an ironing board with iron for you to use. Here is also the safe for your valuables. (There is a 2nd closet upstairs by the main bath room with another set of ironing board and iron! That is also where the fantastic Kimpton robes are.)

When you walk further into the room, the narrow hallway opens up a bit and makes space for a nice (comfortable!) sofa, opposite to a furniture with a (big flat) TV on it, aside of that is a big chair, and beneath it is the fridge with the minibar (and drawer with more minibar options).

If you keep going on, you will reach the window side of the room, and there, between the 2 high windows, is the desk.

Now at the end of the room there is a stairway up to the bed room and main bath room. Walk up that (easy to go!) stairway and look at the King bed up there - wonderful! And there is a second flat screen TV, same big size as downstairs. And another comfortable chair with foot rest to relax on!

From the other side of the bed you can actually look down onto the desk, there is an opening to the lower section. I guess that is to let light in, because this upper section would have no other way of getting natural day light in.

To the other end from the stairs is another small hallway which leads to the 2nd closet, where the wonderful Kimpton robes were waiting for our use (love these robes!), plus another ironing board and iron.

The upstairs bath room was a spa bath room, and this is the main reason why I am so much in love with Kimpton hotels! This Fuji tub has a special design to let you sit like on a seat (I mean, your feet are lower than your butt), and that makes it easy to sit down and stand up. Still the tub is huge enough to let TWO ADULTS sit down and soak up to the shoulders. I wished I could have a tub like that at home, but unless I am going to win some big money, I fear I'll have to travel to enjoy this wonderful spa bath.

There were Aveda toiletries everywhere, also here. Even for the spa bath tub they had a special product for ready use - not found in all Kimpton hotels, but here it was! Thank you!!!

Behind the huge Fuji tub there was a glass shower stall, big enough for 2 adults to take a shower at the same time (saves time!). Did I mention everything is marble here? Both downstairs and upstairs, both bath rooms were in white marble.

Enough towels everywhere, actually more than 2 people would need for one night's stay. Many various towel sizes, too, I like that very much!

The only thing that was missing in the suite was Hubby's coffee maker (listed in our profile, but I guess nobody looked in there). But it was no issue, I asked at the front desk and they had someone bring it up right away. Then the coffee pods were decaf only. Maybe they thought we had requested the coffee for immediate use in the afternoon, but it was actually meant for the next (very early!) morning. Another request to the Front desk, and it was fixed right away. This was no problem, I am only writing this to point out where they can make a perfect hotel even better: read the guests' profiles!

We had not brought our laptop along, because we were afraid it would get damaged in the train (as we had to give up our luggage, and Amtrak explicitly says they will not be responsible for damages like that!).

I wished we would have had some type of computer, but we didn't. Alexandria is too far away to drive to, so we had to make that sacrifice (or take the risk with Amtrak damaging/losing our laptop). It would have been free to use since we are InTouch members of the Kimpton Loyalty Program.

Now they do have a business center, and it is open 24 hours with your room key, but alas - it is NOT FREE! I tried to get online there, but the only thing free is the option to print your boarding pass. Getting online and checking your emails, updating your facebook status etc would have cost a lot. I am not quite sure anymore about the rate, but I think it was something like $7.95 for 20 minutes or so! I left without getting anything done, of course.

We had a credit of $10 for the minibar, and we took the Fred waters (as usually). We take those for the sturdy bottles, as they make perfect refillable on-the-go bottles which we keep using at home.

From the hotel it was easy to walk to the water front (10 min walk) and even back to the train station (20 min walk), but you could also use the FREE tourist trolley that keeps going up and down the King Street, which is the main vein through Alexandria's old town.

Between 5pm and 6pm they have a complementary wine hour in the hotel lobby (like all Kimpton hotels, I believe), but I was so happy swimming in their pool that I had completely forgotten about the wine hour! Seriously, I forgot it!

I was in their hotel pool taking leaps and exercises in the perfectly temperatured water (not cold and not too warm either). There were a few children jumping and playing around with their parents, and a life guard was also around. The pool was big enough for us to not get in each other's way, I mean I could swim over here and they played over there.

I would have liked it to be a bit deeper, but I guess this is an American safety thing that pools can never be deeper than 5 feet. I am 5'4" (164 cm) and I can swim, so a little more depth would have been welcome. But I guess this is not in the hotel's power to change these requirements, as I have seen all hotel pools have the same (low) depth.

Hubby had gone to a local church at the same time, and when he came back, he found me on the sofa in the suite watching TV news. He was surprised that I was not downstairs in the lobby, and we laughed when I said I had completely forgotten about the wine. I threw a dress over myself and went down, but it was too late. No problem though, we will come back, and next time I will watch the clock better...

Yes, we will be back! I have a free room upcoming (join the free Kimpton InTouch Loyalty Program to qualify for that free room every so often, minibar credit everytime, free Internet everytime, and more...), and originally I had thought to go back to Philadelphia to give them another chance (read my Kimpton Saga Part 1 about that!)

But why take the risk and maybe get disappointed again, when you can get the free room in a proven (almost) perfect hotel? I have decided to come back here instead of Philly, and I made the booking already.

Now that free room is a standard room, but the front desk staff told me for $100 I would be upgraded from my free standard room to my beloved Loft Suite. Ha - no question, I took that offer and secured it as soon as I got back home!

Normally we would not be able to afford a suite in this hotel during the summer season. But due to the loyalty program and the inexpensive upgrade I will be back on a July weekend to enjoy this exceptional Loft Suite! It will be a perfect birthday celebration! (Well, OK, a few days late, as we can't go during the week) I am already looking forward that trip!!!

All in all this was a wonderful weekend in Alexandria. The mattrass in our King bed was firm enough to be comfortable, and there were enough pillows also. And the climate machine was silent! Not always the case in other places, but here it was nicely silent.

The staff was wonderful and helpful and rushed to fix the minor mistake (forgotten coffee maker). Everyone was nice and helpful, the location is great, the suite was fantastic, and the pool had super opening times (6am to 10pm, I believe).

If the business center was free for hotel guests (or let's say: very cheap, like a dollar per hour, or so!), this boutique hotel would be really super fantastic and absolutely perfect.

But still, with these minor issues it is still better and more beautiful and more stylish than many others around, and I am already looking forward my birthday trip in July!!!

Room Tip: Loft Suite on 5th floor has 2 levels, 2 baths (incl. Fuji tub), 2 closets, 2 TVs, and we heard nothi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Albgardis T
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear albgardis,

Thank you so much for your review! We're glad to now be a part of your Kimpton story!!

Found your reservation for July and this time the upgrade's on us! And we'll make sure to read the profile prior to arrival this time!

Safe Travels,

Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you haven't stayed at a Kimpton Hotel you need to try one. They are boutique hotels at what I would call "resonable" prices for the area. The Monaco in Alexandria is a great example. The people try to do everything to make your stay exceptional. We travel with our Goldendoodle who makes friends with everyone and he was being greeted by name every time we came through the lobby. The location is perfect for shopping, dining, drinking or going down to the water. Alexandria has so much to offer and The Monaco is the perfect place to be based,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard B
Dear Richard B,

Wow - thank you for your review! You hit it on the head with what we are working to accomplish, thanks for noticing and for choosing us in the first place! We're planning lots of fun events for dogs (and guests!) this summer, so keep an eye out!

Take care,

Duxbury, ma.
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is not your usual cookie cutter establishment located in the heart of magnificent old town Alexandria. Monaco was the perfect base for our families first DC tour. The atmosphere is quaint, in a location worth a visit just on its own. Alexandria has it all. Loved this place.
The staff was gracious, helpful and so accomodating. Old world charm at its best.
Bravo Kimpton as I am now a big fan.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear TheDuffer,

Thank you for identifying with our Boutique hotel concept, and I am really happy to hear that your whole family enjoyed the hotel! Welcome to the Kimpton Family!!

Safe travels,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was our first time in a Kimpton Hotel. We enjoyed our stay here. The staff was gracious, friendly and most accommodating. The Monaco is a great place to stay if you're visiting Alexandria area. We loved the wine hour in the afternoon, free coffee in the morning, and free shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear B_BStone,

Thank you for trying us out, and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay so much! Hopefully we will see you again the next time your travels bring you back down this way!

Have a great day,