Just returned from several nights here, on college visits with a teenager. I had read mostly great reviews of the place and wanted to add my own pros and cons because I know I always rely on them when booking a hotel. It wasn't bad and was the most reasonably priced place I could find with free breakfast and free parking near a Metro, but I wouldn't stay again.
Pros: Price the best available during our time frame with amenities I needed. Free breakfast with lots of choices, free wireless, right off highway, refrigerator/microwave, free parking, location near Metro, relatively clean (if small) rooms, although I did see a huge bug on our night stand. If you had a car, you can drive to shopping and restaurants, but there's nothing to walk to.
Cons: Loud air conditioner/heat blowing on and off all night - temperature at night was never right, it was really loud on and off and made it hard to sleep. Desk staff difficult to understand and not particularly helpful, (some better than others, though). TV never worked quite right, not all stations came in and there was no explanation of how to use the TV. Be aware there is no decent restaurant in the evening - just cafe service with a very limited menu so you need to drive to any kind of other restaurant. Condition of hotel was Ok but kind of worn. The minute we stepped off the elevator you see the hallway rug ripped entirely from side to side, like someone took a razor to it. The room was in acceptable condition, as were most of the public places, but this looked dumpy.
About the shuttle service - this is really important to some people, particularly families, so here's what we found. Going TO the Metro from the hotel was very prompt, but a couple of times, despite calling for a shuttle promptly when we got off the Metro, we were left at the Metro stop for 20-25 minutes or more in the rain/wind/cold. (you should know that the drive from the Metro to hotel is about 5 minutes, maybe 10 with rush hour traffic). It's not really walkable, either, although on the phone they said it is. It's a busy divided road with heavy traffic at some times, and the Metro is down/up a steep enbankment. I had heard raves about shuttle service and drivers on this site but didn't find it to be true. It worked out most of the time, but if I'd had small children it would have been no fun waiting around like that and certainly, you couldn't have walked back to the hotel. And the staff never apologized, or explained the delays.
One rainy evening I called the hotel for a shuttle, and the phone rang at least 20 times before the young female clerk picked it up. The shuttle took a long time to get there, and when I arrived back in the lobby finally, the clerk never looked up and was clearly on a personal phone call. I found it bizarre she didn't answer the phone after so many rings and it makes me wonder if she ever asked the driver the first time I called. Also....you are pretty far out on the Metro line, so expect to pay more and take longer to ride into the city. But again. it can work, and I was traveling with an older child so it was OK.
Do visit old town Alexandria if you can while you're here, and we also ventured in the car out to Mt. Vernon, George Washington's birthplace, which I highly recommend. The hotel was further south than I should have stayed, but it did mean I visited those two great VA attractions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria is conveniently located directly off of I-495 Capital Beltway in Alexandria, Virginia and is an affordable alternative to lodging in downtown DC. Convenient to the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), the Pentagon, the National Mall, the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, National Harbor, The White House, Holocaust Museum and the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, the Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria is the ideal location to see all that DC has to offer! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria Hotel Alexandria
- Comfort Inn And Suites Alexandria
- Comfort Inn Alexandria
- Alexandria Comfort Inn