“Reagan Airport Stay”

Quality Inn Mount Vernon
Ranked #33 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 7 January 2018

Older motel only 8 miles from Reagan National Airport, a 15 min drive. Great security, comfortable beds, warm, clean rooms, free parking, good breakfast and reasonably priced. We had to drop off daughters for return flight to Salt Lake City at 4 am, so this was great solution. Even the coldest weekend of the year did not impact the heating capacity of our room, although the bathroom was slightly lower temp than bedroom, possibly due to being the end unit. After our airport run, we returned to finish sleeping and enjoyed a relaxing breakfast. With our free Choice Rewards card we were also offered to extend our departure as late as 2 pm.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
va423, Manager at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

We are so pleased we could be here for you, and that you enjoyed your stay with us; thank you for letting let us know how it all went for you. We hope that you will be able to return to stay with us again.
Hospitably
Carmen

Reviewed 3 January 2018

this was about the 4th time we stayed at this hotel because it is so convenient to the highway. but this time the bed was not as comfortable. both my husband and I woke up everyday with a back ache and I could barely stay in bed long because it hurt which really sucks because you get to sleep in on vacation. The staff was friendly as usual and the room served its purpose.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Urban1026
va423, Director of Sales at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review and rate our location, I am sorry to hear you were not pleased with the mattresses in your guest room I do wish we had been notified we could have tried to move you to another room. please if you would like to share with us which room you occupied we would be more then happy to check the beds. It was our pleasure having you as our guest and I hope you will come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

Arrival: 12/22
Expected Checkout: 12/24

It absolutely breaks my heart that I have to even write this review. This hotel has come to be my favorite over the past year, with over 10 stays alone at this property. This is one of the only times I take a leisurely stay during the year. After driving 4 1/2 hours up from the Hampton Roads area, the last thing I wanted to deal with was an unprofessional, pompous individual behind the front desk. Immediately I noticed the male employee wore no name tag, which is an improper uniform according to Choice Hotels policy. Having worked for the hotel chain in the past, I’m still pretty familiar with a lot of the protocols. In the middle of my check-in, a guest from a room called to inquire about how to turn off the blinking red light on their phone. The man proceeded to say “unplug the phone.” When the guest said no because they wanted to have a functioning phone, the man then told them that they would have to wait until the morning. I thought this was sort of weird since most employees know a blinking light on a phone means unread messages. A simple numerical code would have cleared the inbox on the phone and solved the problem. However, I overheard the guests ask the man for his name and he actually said “why do you need my name? What is your name? I’m the King of Africa.” I was stunned. Not only did he not fix the guests initial issue, but he actually continued to be unprofessional when asked what his first name was. The man noticed I was not happy with his unprofessionalism and abruptly ended the call with the guest, saying “I have a guest in front of me, I’ll call you back.”

As expected, the guests from the room came to the front lobby. As they stood behind me, I noticed the man was now taking a photocopy of my drivers license. Again, I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past. This is the one and only time this has ever been done. When I asked him about this, he stated the hotel needed to have my information in case I stole something or destroyed the property. And to back up this so called policy that the hotel enforces on everyone, he proceeds to show me a photocopy of another guest’s ID. I work in the private security field professionally and I can assure you I was extremely unhappy to see that he happily paraded other guests personal information around in order to validate a point.

As crazy as all this was, this was only the beginning. The male employee continued to make snide remarks about “being from Africa” as he fumbled around behind the desk. When I asked for his name, he again asked why everyone was asking. He finally stated that his name was Taco. The guests behind me asked him why he wouldn’t tell them that when they asked for his name. Taco decided to completely forget about checking me in and go into a full blown rant about how he’s from Africa, he’s worked at the hotel for 20 years, he has an MBA, he’s a black man, all his friends are retired, and he plans to own his own hotel one day. As exciting as this all sounded, I literally had to tell him MULTIPLE times that I had an 18 month old in the car that needed to get to bed. It wasn’t until the 5th time saying this, as well as the guests behind me saying “she has a child in the car, check her in!!” that he finally stopped. I explained to him that I had stayed at this hotel many times, was an elite Diamond member, and had never seen such a blatant lack of respect and professionalism from a Choice Hotels employee. Ever. Unfortunately he didn’t care and continued to make snide remarks about his background.

I also wasn’t able to do a partial payment in cash for another reservation I had because “this wasn’t Choice Hotels policy.” Again, another lie. So I wasn’t able to pay for my reservation. Even with this absolutely horrible check in and front desk agent, I took the time to apologize to the guests with the blinking light issue because I know this hotel has excellent staff. Rebecca who works the morning shift is a rockstar. The manager is just as nice as well. Everyone down to the housekeepers are phenomenal. So whoever this Taco person is, he’s just a bad egg that needs to go ASAP! I tried to explain to him that he’s going to cause the hotel to lose business but the only thing he seemed to be concerned about was being the King of Africa.

Happy Holidays!! (Not really)

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
va423, Director of Sales at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review and rate our location, we appreciate the time you took to do so. On behalf of our entire team I would like to offer our deepest apologies and sincerity as this is not how we want our location to be known or remembered. We stand by choice hotel's policy's 100% and if they are not being applied correctly we will offer re training, we will be looking closely into this matter to determine what action will need to be taken and how we can better serve our guest in the future. Our guest privacy and security are a number one priority anything less is unacceptable. We appreciate your loyalty to our location as well as the choice hotel brand and I hope you will come and see us again so we may once more show you this is not indicative of our location or the services we provide. Happy holidays for our staff to you and your family.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

Rebecca was AWESOME... We had a slight mishap with our reservation and she took care of everything. Great location, close to the Harbor and DC attractions. Again, Rebecca at the front desk went UP and BEYOND to accommodate our needs and was extremely helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
va423, General Manager at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Hello Teressa,
Thank you for taking your time to share with us your experience as our guest; it is appreciated. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and that Rebecca was able to create a positive experience for you. We do look forward to see you again, and hope that you will come to see us again.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

I stayed here for a quickly planned fall break trip. I would have gave the hotel a 5 but it could have been cleaner. The rooms we stayed in sowed normal wear and tear from being used, but when I say this I mean the carpet was worn. The bathroom door as well as the walls of the rooms need a good scrubbing, and probably should be steamed to remove all the dirt. It looked like someone had wiped dirty hands on the walls. However the rooms fit what we needed which was a place to sleep each night. We are actually already planning on going back in the spring and will probably stay in this same location. The rooms are smaller, but that can be because the building is older. The beds slept great, and the staff were all wonderful. Our key cards did not work when we checked in the first night, instead of just reprogramming them the desk staff walked back to the room with us to make sure they worked. She didn't want us to get to the room and them not work and us have to walk back to the front. The free breakfast was good, the area was kept very clean and well stocked.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room with parking in front of your room, it makes unloading much easier and t...