“Poor night's sleep left not so great impression”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I stayed here for business travel recently and was not overly impressed. Don't get me wrong - the basics were there: the staff was friendly, it was clean, well appointed, and in a nice quiet location near Old Town Alexandria - but there were also many details that were off, which ultimately resulted in an uncomfortable stay. The bed was a little too hard, the pillows formless, the air conditioner unit not effective (read: stuffy room), and the sheets had a scratchy feeling. I've stayed in less expensive hotels with better bedding than this one. When I travel, particularly on business, it is very important that I get a good night's sleep. Being so uncomfortable for four nights left me with a not so great impression despite wanting to like the hotel.

Room Tip: Valet parking is $25/night. You can avoid this fee weeknights by parking on the street after 5pm un...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Treasuringlife,

Thank you for staying with us and for your positive comments concerning our staff and hotel cleanliness. I was disappointed to learn that our bed and ac unit function caused you some discomfort and want to extend my apologies. As you probably know, we take great pride in featuring the Westin Heavenly Bed in our rooms. Our custom designed Simmons pillowtop mattress combined with high thread count sheets, down blanket and various pillow options is all designed to insure great sleep which makes your comments all the more concerning. We will continue to concentrate our room inspections on the beds and ac units to further understand what fixes might be necessary. Thanks again for sharing.

Rich Casale

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Wonderful hotel, great location and outstanding service. Staff was very friendly and accomodating and went out of their way to assist with all our requests despite it was very busy weekend (Cherry blossom parade weekend).

Rooms were very clean and our's was actually very large with two comfortable queen beds (as we've requested)

Our request for late check out was immediatly and kindly agreed by Robin from the front desk

The only downer is the $10/day internet fee, otherwise I would give them 5 stars. I had my Ipad with 4G Lite/AT&T connectivity so I didn't pay for their internet, but it is really disturbing and unacceptable that the Westin hotels still charge a daily fee for Internet access.

Over all we had a great experience and a very nice stay

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Viaggiatore16

Dear Viaggiatore16,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was delighted to learn that our staff, particularly Robin were so accomodating. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I decided on another staycation and found an excellent rate for Westin Old Town, Alexandria.

The location: it's a business area so the weekends were very, very quiet. Perfect, and exactly what I was looking for. There is a hotel shuttle that will take you up and down King Street in Old Town, and is definitely walkable to the Metro. I was nervous that since it was the wekeend, all the delis and restaurants and coffee shops nearby would be closed - I was pleasantly surprised that they were not. Starbucks and other coffee shops just a block away, hair salon 2 blocks, a 7/11 and sandwich shops/delis/smoothie shops within a block or two.

The Hotel: friendly valet held an umbrella over my head when I pulled up front. Lobby was nice (there was a diabetes conference going on so there were lots of signage out in the lobby.) Restaurant on lobby floor, and a little convenience/snack shop right by the registration desk. Registration was easy, no lines at 8 pm on a friday night, and they assured me that I was in a quiet room with little traffic.

The Room: Room 763 (7th floor was apparently preferred guest floor) has views of...roofs and business buildings. It's also a bit of a walk from the elevators (to be fair, I did want to be further away from the noisy elevator area, but it was a walk, especially to get ice as the ice machine was next to elevators.) I was ok with being so far away as I was hoping that that wing of the hotel would be dead quiet. Unfortunately, I would get startled awake by slamming doors and people conversing in the hallways. Oh well. Toiletries were nice, bathroom was new and lovely (I love the light around the mirror). Bed was ok: I was hoping it would be one of those beds that can be adjusted for softness/firmness. Free coffee/tea making supplies!

The Service: People are NICE at this Westin, and very friendly. I had requested a fridge (there is a fridge in the room, but it's for their inroom snacks.), extra toiletries, and they were prompt and friendly when delivering. Ordered breakfast room service and..that wasn't great. A bit disappointing, to be honest (in short, go out for breakfast instead), but the woman who delivered was friendly and asked if I needed a newspaper or anything else.

Other things: Signing up for their Starwood Preferred Guest program - and you get bottled water for free. Internet is NOT free, which is such a pet peeve: hardwired, fast broadband connection to my laptop was about $20 for 24 hours, I think. You can go with a slower connection for $15. Phone/3G/4G signal for my phone (Sprint, HTC EVO) was pretty awful inside the room: not good enough to stream anything, good enough to text with people and read emails. Don't bother with the room service: food was merely ok. Plenty of places to eat in Old Town, or you can get things delivered. The caveat: you'll need to meet the food delivery at the lobby.

Room Tip: Area where room 763 is a long walk from the elevators. Views are not great.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lor2876

Dear Lor2876,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking to time to share such detailed comments. I was particularly pleased to learn of your various positive experiences with our staff and the fact that you found our hotel and location so perfect for your needs. We will take a closer look at a couple of the areas where you pointed out as opportunities, namely room service and internet, to see how we can tighten things up there. Thanks again for all the thought.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed here for a research conference in March, and I must say my experience was impeccable! The host at the check-in desk made me feel like a valued guest from far away even though he knew I was only 10 minutes away from my house. The rooms were large and well decorated, and the Westin still has the nicest mirror (yup, I said mirror) of any hotel I've ever stayed in! I had to update my presentation, but didn't want to pay for the in-room WiFi, so the front desk attendant referred me to the lobby restaurant where WiFi was free. The servers there knew I was there for business, so they kindly left me to tend to my tasks. The conference rooms were very nice, and the catering was on point. There are quite a few nice restaurants within close walking distance, but the heart of Old Town Alexandria is a little further away on foot. Either way, it's in such a nice area that I wouldn't mind making the walk. Thanks to the Westin Alexandria for making me feel like a welcomed tourist in my own town!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Catdaddy1129
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were about an hour early for check in, but our room was already prepared and was hypoallergenic as requested. Check in was fast and easy.
The room was very large and well decorated and furnished. In addition to a king size bed with an upholstered bench there was a seating area with two chairs, ottoman, and a table. The room had a minibar and complimentary coffee station. The blinds made it feel private even though it was filtering through enough light. We had no problem with hearing any noises from adjacent rooms.
I love that the shower had a double shower head. The water pressure was great, and the bathroom was very clean.
We had no issues with any of the mechanics of the room and the climate control worked without any hassle.
We visited the indoor pool and hot tub shortly after checking in, and were lucky to have it to ourselves. The pool area has plenty of seating and places to put your things while you swim. The pool was well kept. It was a little on the small side and one depth, but that wasn't a problem for us.
Though the hotel is a little off the beaten path, we used the complimentary shuttle service which runs until 10PM to take us down to Old Town. The driver was very nice and got us right to the doorstep of our destination.
The only issue that came up during our stay was we were charged $1.50 for a phone call that we made to the concierge to arrange to take the shuttle but that was rectified at check out.
Would certainly recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple