“Quiet location, nice rooms, excellent service”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, VA
“Quiet location, nice rooms, excellent service”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I decided on another staycation and found an excellent rate for Westin Old Town, Alexandria.

The location: it's a business area so the weekends were very, very quiet. Perfect, and exactly what I was looking for. There is a hotel shuttle that will take you up and down King Street in Old Town, and is definitely walkable to the Metro. I was nervous that since it was the wekeend, all the delis and restaurants and coffee shops nearby would be closed - I was pleasantly surprised that they were not. Starbucks and other coffee shops just a block away, hair salon 2 blocks, a 7/11 and sandwich shops/delis/smoothie shops within a block or two.

The Hotel: friendly valet held an umbrella over my head when I pulled up front. Lobby was nice (there was a diabetes conference going on so there were lots of signage out in the lobby.) Restaurant on lobby floor, and a little convenience/snack shop right by the registration desk. Registration was easy, no lines at 8 pm on a friday night, and they assured me that I was in a quiet room with little traffic.

The Room: Room 763 (7th floor was apparently preferred guest floor) has views of...roofs and business buildings. It's also a bit of a walk from the elevators (to be fair, I did want to be further away from the noisy elevator area, but it was a walk, especially to get ice as the ice machine was next to elevators.) I was ok with being so far away as I was hoping that that wing of the hotel would be dead quiet. Unfortunately, I would get startled awake by slamming doors and people conversing in the hallways. Oh well. Toiletries were nice, bathroom was new and lovely (I love the light around the mirror). Bed was ok: I was hoping it would be one of those beds that can be adjusted for softness/firmness. Free coffee/tea making supplies!

The Service: People are NICE at this Westin, and very friendly. I had requested a fridge (there is a fridge in the room, but it's for their inroom snacks.), extra toiletries, and they were prompt and friendly when delivering. Ordered breakfast room service and..that wasn't great. A bit disappointing, to be honest (in short, go out for breakfast instead), but the woman who delivered was friendly and asked if I needed a newspaper or anything else.

Other things: Signing up for their Starwood Preferred Guest program - and you get bottled water for free. Internet is NOT free, which is such a pet peeve: hardwired, fast broadband connection to my laptop was about $20 for 24 hours, I think. You can go with a slower connection for $15. Phone/3G/4G signal for my phone (Sprint, HTC EVO) was pretty awful inside the room: not good enough to stream anything, good enough to text with people and read emails. Don't bother with the room service: food was merely ok. Plenty of places to eat in Old Town, or you can get things delivered. The caveat: you'll need to meet the food delivery at the lobby.

Room Tip: Area where room 763 is a long walk from the elevators. Views are not great.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lor2876
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Lor2876,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking to time to share such detailed comments. I was particularly pleased to learn of your various positive experiences with our staff and the fact that you found our hotel and location so perfect for your needs. We will take a closer look at a couple of the areas where you pointed out as opportunities, namely room service and internet, to see how we can tighten things up there. Thanks again for all the thought.

Rich Casale
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed here for a research conference in March, and I must say my experience was impeccable! The host at the check-in desk made me feel like a valued guest from far away even though he knew I was only 10 minutes away from my house. The rooms were large and well decorated, and the Westin still has the nicest mirror (yup, I said mirror) of any hotel I've ever stayed in! I had to update my presentation, but didn't want to pay for the in-room WiFi, so the front desk attendant referred me to the lobby restaurant where WiFi was free. The servers there knew I was there for business, so they kindly left me to tend to my tasks. The conference rooms were very nice, and the catering was on point. There are quite a few nice restaurants within close walking distance, but the heart of Old Town Alexandria is a little further away on foot. Either way, it's in such a nice area that I wouldn't mind making the walk. Thanks to the Westin Alexandria for making me feel like a welcomed tourist in my own town!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Catdaddy1129
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were about an hour early for check in, but our room was already prepared and was hypoallergenic as requested. Check in was fast and easy.
The room was very large and well decorated and furnished. In addition to a king size bed with an upholstered bench there was a seating area with two chairs, ottoman, and a table. The room had a minibar and complimentary coffee station. The blinds made it feel private even though it was filtering through enough light. We had no problem with hearing any noises from adjacent rooms.
I love that the shower had a double shower head. The water pressure was great, and the bathroom was very clean.
We had no issues with any of the mechanics of the room and the climate control worked without any hassle.
We visited the indoor pool and hot tub shortly after checking in, and were lucky to have it to ourselves. The pool area has plenty of seating and places to put your things while you swim. The pool was well kept. It was a little on the small side and one depth, but that wasn't a problem for us.
Though the hotel is a little off the beaten path, we used the complimentary shuttle service which runs until 10PM to take us down to Old Town. The driver was very nice and got us right to the doorstep of our destination.
The only issue that came up during our stay was we were charged $1.50 for a phone call that we made to the concierge to arrange to take the shuttle but that was rectified at check out.
Would certainly recommend and stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Just stayed for a week and loved the very clean, well appointed hotel. Good location to walk to the metro (three blocks), huge movie theater (two blocks), and the parking is all valet (same price). Negative... Long walk to the old town area on King street (ten blocks). Very good hotel, highly recommend.

Stayed April 2012
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The Westin Alexandria knows the meaning of service. Check-in was fast and efficient. Our room was heavenly comfortable; even the toiletries were fantastic. I had preshipped a package of materials for my meeting that was waiting for me at the front desk and promptly delivered to my room. Our every request was attended to, right down to free shuttle rides into the shopping/dining area of Alexandria and back! The meeting rooms were very comfortable and food service for our conference was great. I've been to a lot of meetings in a lot of hotels and I've never seen a banquet crew that could turn rooms as fast as these guys! One caution, don't use their business center unless you are desperate. It's very expensive and there is a FedEx/Kinkos just a block away for one-third of the price.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a bad room. We were near the elevator and noise wasn't a problem.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business