“The best hotel I've stayed in so close to home!!”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Washington, DC
“The best hotel I've stayed in so close to home!!”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed here for a research conference in March, and I must say my experience was impeccable! The host at the check-in desk made me feel like a valued guest from far away even though he knew I was only 10 minutes away from my house. The rooms were large and well decorated, and the Westin still has the nicest mirror (yup, I said mirror) of any hotel I've ever stayed in! I had to update my presentation, but didn't want to pay for the in-room WiFi, so the front desk attendant referred me to the lobby restaurant where WiFi was free. The servers there knew I was there for business, so they kindly left me to tend to my tasks. The conference rooms were very nice, and the catering was on point. There are quite a few nice restaurants within close walking distance, but the heart of Old Town Alexandria is a little further away on foot. Either way, it's in such a nice area that I wouldn't mind making the walk. Thanks to the Westin Alexandria for making me feel like a welcomed tourist in my own town!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Catdaddy1129
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were about an hour early for check in, but our room was already prepared and was hypoallergenic as requested. Check in was fast and easy.
The room was very large and well decorated and furnished. In addition to a king size bed with an upholstered bench there was a seating area with two chairs, ottoman, and a table. The room had a minibar and complimentary coffee station. The blinds made it feel private even though it was filtering through enough light. We had no problem with hearing any noises from adjacent rooms.
I love that the shower had a double shower head. The water pressure was great, and the bathroom was very clean.
We had no issues with any of the mechanics of the room and the climate control worked without any hassle.
We visited the indoor pool and hot tub shortly after checking in, and were lucky to have it to ourselves. The pool area has plenty of seating and places to put your things while you swim. The pool was well kept. It was a little on the small side and one depth, but that wasn't a problem for us.
Though the hotel is a little off the beaten path, we used the complimentary shuttle service which runs until 10PM to take us down to Old Town. The driver was very nice and got us right to the doorstep of our destination.
The only issue that came up during our stay was we were charged $1.50 for a phone call that we made to the concierge to arrange to take the shuttle but that was rectified at check out.
Would certainly recommend and stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Just stayed for a week and loved the very clean, well appointed hotel. Good location to walk to the metro (three blocks), huge movie theater (two blocks), and the parking is all valet (same price). Negative... Long walk to the old town area on King street (ten blocks). Very good hotel, highly recommend.

Stayed April 2012
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The Westin Alexandria knows the meaning of service. Check-in was fast and efficient. Our room was heavenly comfortable; even the toiletries were fantastic. I had preshipped a package of materials for my meeting that was waiting for me at the front desk and promptly delivered to my room. Our every request was attended to, right down to free shuttle rides into the shopping/dining area of Alexandria and back! The meeting rooms were very comfortable and food service for our conference was great. I've been to a lot of meetings in a lot of hotels and I've never seen a banquet crew that could turn rooms as fast as these guys! One caution, don't use their business center unless you are desperate. It's very expensive and there is a FedEx/Kinkos just a block away for one-third of the price.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a bad room. We were near the elevator and noise wasn't a problem.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Utica, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Why the title? We have stayed in Westin hotels before. They are known for impeccable service and amenities, and our experience with them in LA, and Boston were almost breathtaking. Not here! It was a mixed blend of "little but annoying" service issues which made us disappointed.
Where to begin?

1. We arrived super late with a 5:00 a.m. check in. Knowing we were to arrive late, we called the hotel the night before to advise them and were treated with a little attitude like "and why are you telling us". We didn't think much of this as we already paid for the hotel room in advance (3 nights stay). When we finally arrived, we pulled up to the front door where the "bell hop" greeted us with "are you staying here?", took our car info (with attitude) and NEVER offered to take our bags. I even asked him if there was a bell hop available (while a was piling the bags on my shoulders) and he said "I am" yet just looked at me. He never took our bags, never opened the door for either of us. I even said to him "well I guess we will carry our own bags then???" he said nothing. That totally was terrible. Welcome to the Westin!!!!.....then, we "checked in" oh yeah, 2. they gave our room away and thought we were a "no show". We reminded them we called ahead, and luckily they got another room...but it took forever to arrange on the computer. The front desk apologized for the error, but did not pick up my frustration in receiving no help with bags, no cart etc. What a big bummer. We lugged our own stuff to our room which was a very long walk from the elevator BTW. We were exhausted, and surprised of that crappy check in. The tips stayed in our pockets that night.

Not done..3. The first day after coming in from going out in DC all day led us to a room which was not cleaned/housekept. We called the desk and 40 minutes later the night housekeeper cleaned our room. This was a huge inconvenience as we were tired and just wanted showers & sleep. We had to wait in the hallway while it was cleaned. The housekeeper however was a doll, and said "I'm sorry" 100 times and brought us extra towels and extra green tea toiletries. We tipped her well...as it was an inconvenience for her too I'm sure! The breakfast dishes from that morning's room service still remained in the hallway too..later that night. The hallways had dishes strew through it in general. Another "head scratcher" for a Westin. Really?

So needless to say...it was a weird experience for us being a Westin....but overall the stay itself was a good one. Our room was super far away from the elevator. If we were an older couple that would be a problem I think. The room was pleasant, the decor, and lovely Westin touches were in tact (toiletries, infused smells in lobby, good super charged foods, heavenly bed linens etc.) They nickle and dime you for WIFI which always surprises me..but hey, if you can afford to stay in a Westin I guess they believe it is not an issue to pay $9.95 a day for WIFI in your room!! (free in lobby) Yet basic hotels/motels it's free.....go figure. And to print something in their business center 1 page $7.95, copies =$$. We had to print something for my finacee's work. The metro is a kind of a walk away, which catches up to you when you have bags to carry from a day out in DC or Alexandria. As well, the area where the hotel is located pretty much shuts down during the weekend (much like the Financial District in NYC). There is a nice little cafe across the street, and the Westin restaurant had a great (but pricy) brunch menu.

We would stay here again.. I think...but perhaps would try some of their competitors in the area first t see their service and closer proximity to "life" i.e. coffee shops that are open, metro near etc.

So on the Westin scale it is a Westin = good, but the service needs improvement, especially the greeters (bell hop, front desk) which create the tone for your stay. We had bad luck? Ummmm.

Room Tip: Try to select a room that is somewhat close to the elevator. No joke, we had to walk forever to get...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple