“In town for 2 days”

and up
Old Town Alexandria Smartphone Photography Tour
Ranked #2 of 96 things to do in Alexandria
More attraction details
Owner description: Quaint old seaport section of Alexandria on the National Register of Historic Places.
Reviewed 1 week ago

Town was charming and had a trolley that would take you from one end of town to the other, Very nice choices of restaurants, bars and fast food. This area is well worth spending a few hours exploring if your in town for a few days.

All reviews
in 70 reviews
"water front"
in 46 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were in DC for a couple of days and were trying to do different things. Since the Metro stops at King Street, we decided to give it a try. When we got off of the train, up across the street ona hill sits the picturesque George Washington Masonic Memorial. As we exited the station, a free Old Town trolley was sitting there. We took it to the end and took on the sights along the way, a charming downtown area. We got off at the waterfront and walked around there. We headed up to the lovely Visitors Center, where they have clean restrooms and friendly staff. We only were in town for a short time, but will definitely come back to stay longer next visit.

1  Thank dclmom34
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was in the area for only a couple of days, visiting a friend and staying at the L'Orien Hotel in Old Town. The first day there, we strolled to the waterfront down King Street (also availed ourselves of the free King Street Trolley). If I had more time I would have seen more, or if I lived in the area I could see that I would probably find Old Town more of a destination - but having only a couple of days and trying to squeeze in, say, a Smithsonian museum or two - Old Town is down on the list of priorities.

As far as history, there are historical sites there, such as an old apothecary museum, but I didn't have time to see them. As far as shopping - I am a consummate expert - and I was disappointed. Most of the numerous shops were either chain stores - albeit nicer ones (Anthro, White House, LouLou, etc.) or something more for locals, like florists and furniture. Of all the shops on the street I found only one to buy something in (it too was more furniture than anything, but they had some lovely midcentury Japanese wooden animals in the window). There is the Torpedo Art Center (reviewed under TAC).

The waterfront is probably the high point, with some nice vantage points over the Potomac. We ate there, then spent quite a bit of time in the Torpedo Art Center (which does have more unique wares for purchase, but even it fades out into mostly paintings).

We ate in Old Town on a few occasions. There are plenty of restaurants, most as you get closer to the waterfront. The area nearest the King Street subway is rather dicey at night or early morning - nor is there anything much there. It also appeared to be an area that was both hopping (bars and restaurants) and deserted (shops) at night.

So yes, I wish I had more time to explore the historical venues and maybe go down a few side streets In Search Of a more unique shopping experience. Perhaps next time.

1  Thank sullific
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A nice walking tour, drive in, park easily, and tour the area, find boutiques, hairdressers, coffee shops, pubs and gift shops, and walk along the waterfront to take pics.