“Oasis in Old Town” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Oasis in Old Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

The Lorien is a bit of New York in Old Town (Alexandria). This ultra modern hotel and spa provides respite and comfort amid the bustle of this busy street. Close to the top of the street, near the Metro stop, it's easy to get to. The free King Street trolley will take you anywhere else on King Street that you want to go. Inside the hotel you'll find wonderful restaurants, sleek and comfortable rooms, and beautiful decor. Nothing corporate or cookie cutter about the Lorien. We will go back as often as we can.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear teksiz,

I am delighted you enjoyed the décor of the hotel and spa, as well as our location right near the Metro stop. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, so you can once again experience the hotel and our wonderful restaurants Brabo and the Brabo Tasting Room.

Cordially,

Thomas
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Cincinnati Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife and I are frequent business/pleasure travelers. After many trips, properties all seem alike with similar amenities, rooms, rates, and locations. The Lorien (and other Kimpton properties) stands out because of one major difference: the staff. We are treated like long-lost favorite relatives. We are greeted warmly and every request is received with a positive attitude. From housekeeping to the bartenders: every staff member has one goal in mind -- to make my stay memorable. The Lorien's business model should be required reading for all other properties.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Lorien Suite. Excellent choice with a fantastic bathtub and shower.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Mick2009,

I was excited to share your comments with our team as to how well you were treated during your stay, and how much of a positive impact it had on you. I am glad you enjoyed the wonderful bathroom in your Lorien Suite.

See you soon,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

The first thing that drew me in about the location was it was pet friendly. I recently had rescued a puppy and I was not about to leave him home. When I arrived at the hotel, it was close to 1am. We were tired all from the eight hrs we had spent on the road, puppy was hungry and I had a can with no can opener to feed him. When we walked into the doors friendly staff that immediately sprang into action, searching the facility for a can opener to feed my little one greeted us. They did not rest even when they did not find the can opener. At a little after 1:45 am. There was a knock on the room door and a gentle man handed me the can – which was jaggedly opened. He stated, “Please be careful, we don’t want you to cut yourself. We make it our business to see that our guests are happy – Even the four-legged, furry, cute ones.” I thanked him over a thousand times and fed my pup. They showed me that my concern was their concern. So many hotels pet friendly or not, don’t care about “your issues.” They did!! The pet sitter they recommended was tremendous! Joti took care of my very hyper little man with out a worry! It left me to be able to roam the streets exploring with my husband and rekindle the fire we had slowly been losing due to life's hustle and bustle.

Room 610 was 1000x’s better than my own personal expectations or that the pictures gave credit for. We had a terrace all our own, the bed was lush. The décor was fabulous and the bathroom… OH.. MY.. HEART. This was what a hotel IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE. Eventually, being worn from driving we went to sleep and woke up in this beautiful space.

My husband and I had room service a lot during our stay; the food was delicious and appealing to the eye. Immediately after breakfast on my second day, I had to really investigate this bathroom. It was unlike any design I have ever seen. A large stand up shower, colored by crème colored tiles (possibly French?) and a large showerhead that hung over like a chrome sunflower. A claw foot tub fit for a queen and all her bubbles. You would expect this type of décor in Miami, LA, NYC, not Alexandria, Virginia. Beautiful! Also from 5-6 they have free wine and somewhat like a socializing hour on the main floor. HOW AWESOME! I unfortunately had missed it, but even though I missed it they brought the wine to me. How sweet is that?! I was unable to go to the spa, unfortunately, not enough time and not in my budget, but next time I return. I definitely will make that a priority.

The prices for the rooms were very modest, and the location is buzzing with interesting life. Stores, Car Dealerships, Used Book stores, Walgreens, CVS, and Several Restaurants including the “Rock It” Grill that also has a very entertaining Karaoke Night, "Paint This!" a ceramic creation store and it's all literally outside your door. Do yourself a favor; treat yourself to a stay where the staff puts you, your family, & your pets first. I can assure you it will change your life. I will be back and room 610 (if available) is where you will find me.

Room Tip: Use your AAA Discount, it is valid and accepted here.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear AlexisTai,

A sincere thank you for sharing how our Overnight team assisted you with caring for your rescue puppy; I hope he is thriving. I was thrilled to note your guest room exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed every aspect of it. It sounds like you had a great time finding your way around Alexandria as well, checking out all there is to see and do.

We look forward to your next visit. Don’t forget your puppy!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

The Lorien Hotel is the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The customer service is outstanding. The rooms are so comfortable and the decor so calming and "fresh"/contemporary. The food at Brabbo and the Brabbo Tasting Room is wonderful. We travel with our Yorkie, so pet-friendly is a must. They greet the dogs with treats and do make you feel that they are welcome there. My husband now hosts all meetings he has in DC at the Lorien. As he said, it's the best "banquet" food his meeting participants have ever had. It is provided, of course, by Brabbo. On our last stay, when the front desk found out it was my birthday, room service showed up with a chocolate covered Belgian waffle from Brabbo Tasting Room and a bottle of red wine! I felt very special. I guess the most important thing is that there seems to be a sincere desire on the part of the staff to make your stay the best it can be. They never disappoint.

The spa is the best! I get a gift certificate from there every Christmas and use it throughout the year! Just love it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Jane G,

I am so happy we are able to meet all of your needs, whether it is being pet-friendly for Chloe, preparing great Brabo cuisine for your husband’s meeting, and of course a relaxing environment for you. I look forward to sharing your comments with the entire team.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back,

portland, or
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We just spent 4 nights at this amazing hotel. The attention to detail of the customer service was impeccable. I have never experienced it like that before. The restaurant was as great as the hotel. The location made it easy access to all the places we needed to get to. Old town Alexandria was very charming. Tiffani at the front desk was really great. All the staff right down to the parking valet were outstanding. Will definitely stay here again as it was a great experience.

Room Tip: Room faced rear of hotel so was quiet. They also accommodate if you have any kind of pet allergies...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear sharonafiona,

Thank you so much for recognizing the efforts of Tiffani and the rest of our team. I have already shared your review with her. I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant Brabo, and our convenient location within Old Town.

See you soon,