My fiancé and I decided to take a trip a trip up to Vermont for some skiing and relaxation. After checking the web we settled on the Arlington Inn, based on the style of the house and the beautiful photos depicting spacious rooms with large Jacuzzis. The Inn Keepers didn’t get back to our about availability until the morning of our planned departure.
We accepted Liz’s suggestion to take the Old Squires Room. After a 4.5-hour drive we were not pleased to find the room had a terrible smell and could only be described as spacious if you are under 4ft tall. The carpets look like they have not been cleaned since the 70’s and there’s an animal living in the walls. This is meant to be an attic crawl space, not living quarters.
We went to the main house the next morning with the idea of speaking to the owners before the other guests arrived. We explained our issues and were offered a second room in the parsonage only if we agreed to pay $20 more to cover the cleaning costs. We decided to stay put, not because of the $20, but because the second room had other deficiencies that made the packing and unpacking not worthwhile too us.
Breakfast was excellent and the waitresses were nice.
After a day of skiing we headed back to the Inn where they advertised they would be serving coffee and baked goods. There wasn’t any coffee, food, or staff in the public area when we arrived. While looking at some tourist brochures 3 individuals entered the room, including Elizabeth and we presume her husband and mother. We are not sure because nobody introduced themselves or even acknowledged us. We ended up driving 10 miles back into Manchester for a coffee and some baked goods.
Elizabeth checked us out of the room the next morning. She asked about our drive up from Massachusetts but made no mention of how we enjoyed our stay. Typically we’d say something but it was quite obvious that they just don’t care.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a quiet Village between Manchester and Bennington, the Inn is convenient to the diversions that each season has to offer. Walk to golf, swimming; fly-fishing on the Battenkill River and the Rockwell Exhibition. Nearby you can enjoy shopping, theater, antiquing, museums, hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, cross-country and downhill skiing.Country Gardens with Gazebo, Elegant guest rooms, private baths, television, phone, WiFi service and air conditioning. Many feature Fireplaces, Jacuzzi’s, Porch & Patios.Dining is an exquisite experience, Romantic, candlelit dinners are served fireside.Weddings, Rehearsal Dinners & Retreats are brimming with outstanding cuisine, excellent service and romantic surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Arlington Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arlington Hotel Arlington
- Arlington Inn VT - Green Mountains