“Perfect OverNighter”

Ranked #28 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Virginia
“Perfect OverNighter”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My family (two adults and two kids (19/11)) was visiting Houston, but wanted to jet over to Austin for a quick getaway and chose The Driskill based on its summer 20% discount, reviews on TripAdvisor, and the fact that we like to "go local" whenever possible (food or hotels).

We couldn't have been happier.

Pros:
- Great valet parking
- Great, historic, and grand lobby to welcome you
- Great staff at the front desk
- Great location (able to hit a 6th street pub once kids to bed and able to jog along the water in the morning)
- Someone in the hotel may or may not have expanded the age window for the Buckaroo/Sheriff club, which made my wife and daughters very happy (and kept the hotel very safe)
- Great Illy coffee in the downstairs cafe enabling me to bring lattes to my wife/daughter post-morning run

Cons:
- The door handle to our bathroom broke during our visit. Sometimes this happens in older hotels.

If we ever go back to Austin, I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This is a very nice hotel. We enjoyed our time there until we found chewed gum between the sheets. It actually was found in the middle of the night when my husband felt something sticky on him. We don't chew gum so it did not come from us. The gum thing kind of put a damper on our experience there - unfortunately.

• Stayed June 2012
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I had my wedding at the Driskill and the staff went above and beyond to make everything go smoothly. My bridesmaids and I booked the Yellow Rose Suite two nights before the wedding and it was fantastic. This hotel is charming and true to old, historical Texas. The Suite was spacious and very accommodating...even had a big three way mirror to help us all get ready, and me into my dress. We also frequently enjoy food and drinks at the Driskill Bar. You will love your stay here! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: The State Rooms are much smaller than the other ones--they used to be servants quarters. You can usu...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
LH1886, Guest Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for your review, I will pass this along to our wedding and catering team! We are honored to be a part of your special wedding day memories.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2012

If you are looking for the "totally texas" historic experience, this is the hotel for you. We are from Dallas and loved staying at the Driskill. The rooms, service, and atmosphere were exactly what we had hoped for. Copper ceilings and long-horn cattle....what could be better???!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn S
, Guest Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience! The property is so rich in history, it's great to see a fellow Texan enjoying the "Texas cattle baron" style.
philippines
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have never been so disappointed and upset, Driskill did not fail!. I attended a wedding in Austin and the reception was held there so all the guests and entourage were booked as a group. I am one of the bridesmaids and the bride made our booking 2-3 months prior to the wedding day. The day before, i was inquiring about a limo service, checkin time etc.. the girl asnwered with a very moody tone. She was kinda pissed for asking these questions.

The day of our arrival (the day before the wedding), the reception coudnt find my name in the list, no booking or whatsoever. I made them talk to the bride and still they coudnt find it. (mind you i wasnt the only one who lost a room) I flew all the way from our country 12 hour flight and to my surprise, a very impatient receptionist annoyed at me cause of my room..duh? shouldnt be i the one getting annoyed? After 30 min, the Manager came with her annoyed face too.. Everyone in that hotel was rude and the number one ranking rude person was the manager. I didnt hear any sorry, apology or a sorry tone. They were all rude talking to me and my friends. The manager said, present a proof that i made the reservation.. Oh my gosh, she just talked to the bride and confirmed that my room was missing!

To cut the long story short, I ended up not staying with them and this was a blessing in disguise. Saved me from rude and uneducated people especially the manager down to all their staff. Where did they get their training? All my friends and family who stayed with them said that they were rude! No training, no breeding. This hotel should be reported to the authority especially the manager for treating guests like crap.

Aside from the UNEDUCATED RUDE AND NO BREEDING Staff of Driskill, the hotel is so dark, and smells really aweful. I wasnt breathing the whole time. Such a shame! When you enter, you can smell musty carpets, dark and gothic decors and interior. It's like the Haunted Mansion of Disney Land!

This is the worst hotel ever!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank blackmartini
, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for bringing your experience to my attention. I believe that your arrival experience was a matter of miscommunication in what was reserved and under what name. The Driskill always takes great measure to deliver what is requested and in no case would the hotel fail to do so for any other reason than availability. The Driskill also make a substantial investment in training of all our Associates in every area of the hotel - especially at the Front Desk. I regret that you chose to stay elsewhere and hope you'll consider returning to The Hotel as some point in the future.