“Wedding Weekend in Austin!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #27 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Marshall, TX
“Wedding Weekend in Austin!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Attending a family wedding in Austin, we chose The Driskill as our base for a four-day weekend of festivities. It was perfect! We negotiated a block and filled nearly 20 rooms. Some were the basic room; others were Jr. Victorian Suites and one was the Bridal Suite.

The lovely, historic hotel is locaed just off the night hot-spot of 6th Street. There is valet parking, a bar, a very nice dining room for evening and the 1886 Cafe for meals all day long.

Courtesy and helpfulness are the hallmark of The Driskill staff. This hotel offer pure "old world" service. The hotel has lovely first-floor public spaces and there is ample space to sit comfortably.

Our room was the Junior Victorian Suite, with a queen-size bed (very comfy!), marble bath and living room (large enough for entertaining several friends).

We stayed on the quiet side of the hotel and slept beautifully. If possible I would not want to stay on the 6th street side. There is access to a porch overlooking Brazos Street, complete with rocking chairs and a great view for people-watching.

Finally, this historic hotel provided us a great place to stay, we could visit with family and friends, service was top-notch and we all have very special memories of staying there for our special wedding weekend. Even for a different trip to Austin, you can't go wrong here! I would think the least expensive room is still very worth the price, especially when you compare other downtown choices!

Room Tip: Unless you can sleep through an explosion, ask for a non-sixth-street room. The nightlife is loud a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I just stayed at the Driskill for our one year anniversary. I used to live in Austin, so I have been to the property many times without staying the night. I think you can get the feel for it just by going to the bar (one of the greatest bars in Austin in my opinion) and saving yourself $400+. I told the front desk that is was our anniversary and she put us in Room 402. Right by the elevator. I was up the next morning at 6 AM due to the commotion outside in the hallway (never able to get enough quiet to return to sleep) because of the activity in the hallway and elevator bank. Every time someone opened the door, said something, used the elevator, it was so loud that I thought someone was coming in our room. I am in my 30s (used to raucous and commotion) and I never usually complain. This was too much considering the reason I was staying. The front desk sent up some champagne and strawberries the night prior with a kind note. Very thoughtful. I just wish I was placed in a better room as I value peace and quiet much more!! It was $400 ill-spent. The building is absolutely stunning. I would just save my money and have a drink at the bar instead. Unless you want to spend much more on a suite and surely, those provide a little more R&R! Especially on such a special night for us. Great location in downtown Austin. The bed was to die for. I didn't want to get out except that it felt like I was sharing it with the entire 4th floor.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 402 in the tower (over the bar). It was small but very well-appointed. Request a ro...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We spent Easter weekend at the Driskill this year and it was absolutely worth the money! The entire building is beautiful, historic and classy. The entire hotel staff was very professional and warm and friendly! The hotel bar is huge, comfortable and beautiful! The King size bed in our room was top of the line comfy! I can't say one bad word about The Driskill, well, one thing...I did not like paying the $28 per day mandatory valet service. But overall, everyone should take the time and money to experience a hotel like this, even if it you can only do it once in your life. Please do remember that all the rooms are different and have different layouts. I called and talked to a reservation specialist to make sure I knew exaclty what kind of room we were getting.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed our Anniversary weekend here in the Brazos Suite. We started with lunch at 1886 Cafe sitting on 6th street watch the city action. The Hippie Hollow breakfast dish and Vegetarian Flatbread were amazing. The room was fantastic with traditional decor and very spacious balcony. The hotel concierge helped with planning a couples massage and also having flowers delivered to the room before we arrived. We enjoyed many places within walking distance to the hotel. We live in Austin and felt like we were on Vacation. Looking forward to the next time.

Stayed April 2012
Banner Elk, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Beautiful, but everything costs. Water in room is $6.00. Room exceptionally expensive but needs side tables, more lamps, sheets too slick and comes out so uncomfortable. Cost $28 per nt to park. Food in the grill is very good. Least expensive glass of chardonnay is $10. I thought we could just lounge around in hotel but with two weddings with loud bands going on did not make that happen. Not a hotel for kids

• Stayed April 2012