The Driskill
Best Western Plus Austin City Hotel(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$ 150
US$ 280
US$ 305
US$ 275
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Austin Central(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$ 103
US$ 254
US$ 232
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Austin(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$ 112
US$ 108
US$ 215
InterContinental
  • Restaurant
Wyndham Garden Austin(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$ 132
Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa(Austin)
US$ 328
US$ 295
2,156 results
All reviewsbeautiful historic hoteldriskill barcafe bakerysenate roomclassic hotellive musicsixth streetheart of downtownstreet noisehotel barvalet parkingvalet servicevisiting austintexaslobbyhauntedelevator
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My room in this hotel had a couple of odd quirks - 3 huge pillars in the bathroom, only one mirror in the room (above the bathroom sink) and no full length mirror. The decor in the room was pretty interesting, if a little old, the bed was reasonably comfortable and the room was quiet. Breakfast in the Cafe & Bakery was delicious and service was super quick - perfect in the morning. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the location was great. Overall as you can see from my review title, my experience here was mixed, and I think with a different room could have been great.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank favenmarg
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed here 3 notes in March 2012. Enjoyed a large "senate" room, well appointed. Nice bar, rec'd good food/drink service even tho bar was packed. Food excellent. Great location in downtown, right on 6th and close to river.

Parking is a huge issue in downtown Austin. Tried to bear the $25/day valet charge by parking in a nearby garage with a sign $10 overnight. Well yes that was $10, plus $2/hour after 8 am... So after that parked valet @ The Driskill.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed here for a conference in September 2011. I heard this is a really fancy and nice hotel so was looking forward to find out myself. They say it is a very historical hotel, I agree that in Texas terms, it is. Of course coming from Europe, this is not something I would really rate as historical hotel, but that is fine, still I could see and feel some history here, especially the lobby.
There were few things I did not like:
1. It was absolutely freezing in the hotel. It was a hot outside, I get it, but why the temperature inside had to be put so low and it was literally freezing? We told them few times (not just me, I am actually very rarely cold), but there was not much they did with it...
2. Be ready to pay some extra, it is not a cheap hotel...Not sure the value you will get justifies it. The rooms were not that extra, I would even say just average (from space, practicality and decoration perspective)

The things you will love about this hotel is the location. It cannot get any better than this, so close to everything.

Hard to say anything about service as I did not have to deal with them too much (which is a I guess a good sign...). Check in and check out were smooth.
We had catering for lunch, so I cannot rate the food they have there in normal terms, but if it is similar to what we had for catering, then it should be good...

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2012

On our 2nd trip to Austin, we wanted to stay in a nice place. Willing to spend at least $300/night the hotel website looked promising? Upon arrival, several service errors and failures occurred to which we wanted out of this place! The initial front desk clerk swiped our credit card to the wrong room to which we got a bill a month later even though we left the hotels with the mgr giving us a ckout recipt with a zero bal. They gave us a downgrade room then confirmed saying it was an upgrade to which the front door lock was not secure. Confirmed by security to which he called maintenance. 20min later still not fixed. Asked for mgr who was suppose to come to the room but never came. We called and asked for a manager to which he never came. Upon reaching a mgr, asked for compensation for the time or a room change. He then gave us the original room which he said was an upgrade. At that point, we said that was suppose to be our original room to which the FD agent said the current room was an upgrade(a lie). When we finally got into the suite, it was a small and dark suite. No views, except for the brick wall and pipes. We asked for another room to which no empathy was given. Hotel was sold-out and this was the only room. This hotel is the worst experience we have ever had. We had better service and lower brand/star hotels. We've stayed at Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, DaysInn, Kimpton, Four Seasons and others. I am sure that this hotel has some very nice rooms, but there customer service skills and humanity is none. A month later we receive a bill, they had swiped our credit card on the wrong account who was staying at there so called hotel. SO FOR THOSE OUT THERE, BEWARE!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jcafef L
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I went to Austin for a conference but didn't want to stay at the modern hotels across the street from the convention centre because there was a grand old hotel merely 4 blocks away. We always loved the hotels with character that can't be fabricated any more and this looked like one of them. On the corner of Brazos & 6th St, it is in the thick of the action for music, bars and restaurants.

From the moment you enter the lobby you "feel" the character and almost expect to see Dusty & Lefty walking in from the cattle drive to enjoy the big city. If you are a fan of over-sized rooms and bathrooms, however, you should either opt for a premium room, or stick to the newer hotels because the "standard" room was fairly small and the bathroom was very small.

That said, however, the room was extremely comfortable, the bed was king-sized, heaps of pillows, large flat panel TV, and quiet. Quiet, that is, except for when the neighbour took a shower, but other than that I never heard anyone over the course of 3 nights.

The cafe is fairly good for basics, although the menu was kind of shallow on options.

All in all, it was exactly what I was looking for and I would definitely make it my hotel in Austin if I come again. The price was fairly sharp ($200), but not much different from the "bland" options the convention offered me.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business