“Don't judge by the outside and ask for a renovated room. Staff is great!”

Rodeway Inn University / Downtown
Ranked #174 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 20 May 2017

6 months ago I stayed at the Rodeway North and it was just okay. They had a pool, which I didn't need but breakfast was mini muffins and coffee (that's it). After reading some brutal reviews here about this location I called the hotel and asked for a "renovated non smoking room". They were happy to accommodate me.I needed tywo night separated by one day. I stayed in same room both times. The outside doesn't look like much but the room was clean with new bed. Don't plan top come here to relax in the pool but if you nead to be near UT or the Johnson Library you can actually walk there. But I don't recommend being here without a car because you can't walk to restaurants etc.

I went for breakfast the firstr morning and was impressed. three kinds of cereal, hard boiled eggs, some pastries, FRESH FRUIT! and make your own waffles. What really surprised me was that the waffle maker produces waffles in the shape of Texas! (see photos). Asad the morning Manager was very helpful. I met Jays (the front desk person upon check in on my first day and the morning check-out person the last day. She used to be a concierge at the Mariott and knew the best BBQ place (La Barbecue but it is SPICY).

I had room 215 and it had been renovated. The King bed was comfortable, the room was clean. Only wear shown was in the bathroom sink where some old rust was painted over - no big deal. (see photo)

It's along the highway but the air conditioner (nicely NOT blowing on the bed - I hate that!) drowned out the traffic. The location is great.

Thwey have a PC for guests in the lobby but it was really slow. But the free wifi in the room was fast.

If I get back to Austin I'll definitely stay here again is price is comparable.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room. Call the hotel the day before in case they get busy.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

As we entered the room there were pee stains on the toilet. We called the front desk and nothing could be done until all the other rooms could be cleaned. The only compensation they offered was a 10% for ONE of our two nights stay. Then when we woke the next morning to vomit all over the walk way. When we returned to gather our things around 4pm, there was still vomit on the walk way. All in all, this place was disgusting.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2017

It is a cheap motel, you get what you pay for. I specifically sought out a hotel with a smoking room. This place does charge a $50 deposit on a room. When mine did not drop off, I called back to see why. Because I smoked in the room and they would have to clean it out. A complete rip off...please spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Great location/price. Right down the street from the University and the price was excellent for what I needed. The staff is not too bright so be warned.I also get the feeling that they will not honor any kind of reservation if they can get a better deal.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Eric R
Reviewed 18 March 2017

While the managers and staff were generally polite and accommodating, it took 2 room changes before getting rooms without an uninhabitable stench.
The rooms bring to life that moment in a film when the main character is down on their luck, has hit rock bottom and checks into the nearest roadside motel. They're acceptable if everything else in your life has gone to hell.
The mattresses on the beds come complete with thick plastic wrapping which can only be for minimal fuss, Dexter style clean ups.
The bathrooms have buzzing, flickering fluorescent lighting which is great for being able to see every bit of dirt and grime surrounding you as you take a shower with minimal water pressure. At this point, you pretty much surrender yourself to the full Marion Crane experience.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends