“Unacceptable experience (PLEASE READ)”

Rodeway Inn University / Downtown
Ranked #176 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 7 September 2016

I was scheduled to stay at the hotel for 3 nights this past weekend during the Notre Dame-Texas game. I had put down 2 separate reservations (one for Sat & Sun nights and made a separate one for Mon night a few weeks later). I arrived to check in at around 9:30pm on Saturday night and was told upon arrival that the hotel had gone ahead and cancelled my reservation because there was an issue with my credit card on file. They had never left me any sort of message or notification prior to my arrival. They called once at 8am that morning but never left a voicemail or called back again. I was in the lobby with Swathi, the manager on duty, for 10 minutes speaking about this and she exhibited absolutely zero empathy for the situation. She also seemed to believe there was nothing wrong with not notifying the customer of an issue with payment. Never once during these 10 minutes did I ever curse at her or insult her in any way. She told me that if I didn't leave the premises immediately that she would call the police. Not only that, but she wouldn't even allow me to sit in my car in the hotel parking lot to search for a new place to stay. Once again, I never once insulted her or cursed at her, and this was the way she handled the situation. I am a travel professional and have never experienced this in my life or this level of horrid customer service.

I have no doubt that the reason they didn't leave a message about the issue with the credit card on file is because when I booked the hotel the rate was very cheap ($85/night), but this was a college football weekend and so hotels around the city were going for $250/300 minimum. They figured they could re-book my room with someone else at double or triple the rate that I paid.

I did end up staying in this hotel on the monday night (the last of the 3 nights) because I had a different credit card on file for this reservation (and that card did work). You could barely open the door without hitting the bed, and the air conditioner was loud and barely worked. I would strongly encourage people to never book at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

Even when the attendants are nice people, the place is really bad. I was one night and i found a room odor really strange; i wake up felt strange by this stinky place. I dont recommend for couples nor families neither. Only men alone or men friends looking for the cheapest place.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank dcmp1
Reviewed 24 August 2016

Good service. Excellent price for the location. One of the best deals in Austin. Friendly service. The breakfast is great, I especially like the Texas waffles. When I stay in Austin, I stay here several times a month due to location and price. The property is very safe and recently painted. Microwave and fridge in my room was an unexpected plus. and coffee maker in the room too.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank van884
Reviewed 5 August 2016

We arrived at the hotel around 1 am, checked in and went to our hotel room to sleep. Around 4 am we heard someone trying to open our door. We thought someone was drunk and maybe they had the wrong door. This guest went to get the manager (the same one that checked us in a few hours before) and he used his master key to open our door!!!! Thankfully I had put the lock at the top of the door so you can only open it like 2 inches. In the morning we told a woman manager and she could not do anything and had to inform another manager about the situation. Horrible customer service.

Besides that event, the bathroom was dirty when we arrived. There was limited parking. It was way over priced for the poor quality of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank NurseEsther
Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed in May and the outside of the hotel is nothing like the pictures is like 20 different colors it's ghetto looking. Some people at the front desk are less than pleasant. We had an extended stay due to unforeseen issues on our part. When we checked out the manager was beyond rude.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business