“Felt like I was staying at the "crack h@" inn.”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #182 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“Felt like I was staying at the "crack h@" inn.”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I was in Austin to photograph a friend of mines niece's daughter wedding so she made my arrangements, otherwise I wouldnt have stayed here.

The hotel looks nice enough at first glance. But after looking closer. RUN.

My single full room was extremley small. The bed felt like it was almost on the floor. The desk/work table was int he middle of the room and the power cords for the desk lamp was a tripping hazard. The walls were covered in stucco of some sort but looked dirty. Also no base board that gave it a unfinished we dont care look.

You could barely turn around in the bathroom. Wall paper was peeling in several places. Paper towels would have been better than the cloth towels provided.

First morning I was walking down the hallway and the cleaning staff was blocking the way and didnt seem too concerned about it. Also being on a non smoking floor the hallway smelled like stale cigarette smoke and bad aftershave.

No places to eat close by and you definately dont want to walk anywhere. The first night I walked the "few blocks" up the road passed the other low rent hotel, the abandoned hotel, the wooded area the was strawned with empty booze bootles.

They had a pool area at the end closet to the road. Never got in it but could see it from the end of the hall. It appeared clean enough but the deck was trashy.

Definately not the name Howard Johnson used to be.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort Worth
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I was very disappointed in my stay at this HoJo. Terrible experience from confirming my reservation to check out. My family and I had 3 rooms reserved for a family wedding happening nearby. When I called they only had 2 of my 3 reservations, which was eventually sorted out. When we arrived at the motel the check in lobby was so hot and the check in staff was unfamiliar with the payment options. We were told that they needed a credit card to authorize the charges and we could pay cash at check out. We checked in 1 hour and half early are were told that only 2 rooms were ready. One of the rooms given to us was actually occupied and when we walked in there were all these personal belongings in the room. When we asked for another room the key card given did not work. Finally we were given a key card that did open the door and were able to settle into the rooms. All 3 of the room smelled like dirty socks and mold. This property truly needs updated remodeling and am surprised that the city has not shut them down. At check out the attendant tell us that my credit card was charged for all three rooms at check in ! After 20 minutes the attendant was able to "refund" my card and allowed us to pay cash. You get what you pay for!!!, NEVER AGAIN!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I paid less than $70 per night and was expecting the worst. I was quite surprised with the Howard Johnson. Clean, quite pleasant and helpful front desk. The conditions of the could be better maintained, but everything was clean and worked perfectly (from air conditioning to how water). My bedroom was actually big.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Orange, California
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I travel frequently for work and spend about 2 weeks a month away from home and in hotels, so there are certain things I have learned to expect from living out of a suitcase, but this was one of those hotels that really made me hate my job.

I will start saying that the staff was VERY nice but that was the ONLY good thing about this place after its low price. I travel a LOT for work and this place was SO moldy I was sick for 2-3 days after. The carpet was so dirty I didn't even want the dog to have to put her feet on it...we never took our shoes off unless we were sleeping. The mattresses we COVERED in stains. The bathroom had mold you could actually see in the rusty door frame on top of the peeling wall paper and 70's linoleum tile! When we turned the AC on it filled the room with an aroma that made us leave it was so thick. I can't believe even half of the posted reviews are real, several couples stopped us when we were outside in the parking lot commenting on the condition of this place!

I contacted customer service and NO ONE ever got back to me, NOT common for HoJo at all! I have no idea what the deal is, but this place isn't safe if you have ANY allergies! Be warned! You will pay later for the low rate now.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We only stayed for one night, late in, early out, as we had a very early flight to catch.

The rooms were nothing to write home about, but for the price we paid it was a steal, and we wouldn't mind coming back again.

Breakfast was included in the rate, but we left too early to eat. However, when we left for the airport they were just preparing for breakfast and we were allowed to take along a couple of muffins and even provided a paper bag.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple