“Moldy, Dirty, Unhealthy! Don't waste your health!”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #177 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Orange, California
“Moldy, Dirty, Unhealthy! Don't waste your health!”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I travel frequently for work and spend about 2 weeks a month away from home and in hotels, so there are certain things I have learned to expect from living out of a suitcase, but this was one of those hotels that really made me hate my job.

I will start saying that the staff was VERY nice but that was the ONLY good thing about this place after its low price. I travel a LOT for work and this place was SO moldy I was sick for 2-3 days after. The carpet was so dirty I didn't even want the dog to have to put her feet on it...we never took our shoes off unless we were sleeping. The mattresses we COVERED in stains. The bathroom had mold you could actually see in the rusty door frame on top of the peeling wall paper and 70's linoleum tile! When we turned the AC on it filled the room with an aroma that made us leave it was so thick. I can't believe even half of the posted reviews are real, several couples stopped us when we were outside in the parking lot commenting on the condition of this place!

I contacted customer service and NO ONE ever got back to me, NOT common for HoJo at all! I have no idea what the deal is, but this place isn't safe if you have ANY allergies! Be warned! You will pay later for the low rate now.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We only stayed for one night, late in, early out, as we had a very early flight to catch.

The rooms were nothing to write home about, but for the price we paid it was a steal, and we wouldn't mind coming back again.

Breakfast was included in the rate, but we left too early to eat. However, when we left for the airport they were just preparing for breakfast and we were allowed to take along a couple of muffins and even provided a paper bag.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Quincy, Florida
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I came into Austin late one evening and found a coupon for Howard Johnson's. I travel on a budget and have good and bad experiences with hotel coupons. However, this hotel was a pleasant surprise. Although the hotel was busy I was able to use my coupon and got a nice room. I frequently dislike hotel pillows but this room had a bed with several pillows of varying firmness. The hotel was quiet and I got a good night's sleep on both nights I stayed there. The continental breakfast was nice also. The staff there were professional and attentive.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Arnhem, Netherlands
Reviewed 28 July 2011

As I said in my review of last year (2010): " I don't know why I shouldn't stay there again." And we did. We stayed there for three weeks in June and July 2011, so we know what we're talking about.
You may wonder why stay there for three weeks? Well, we visited our son and his wife and their newborn baby (our granddaughter) and while they live there temporarily they are not properly housed to have us at home for three weeked.
So again we used HJ as our basecamp. And for that it is very appropriate and rather valuable. We mostly went out very early (it was very hot these days in Texas!) and we went to our son's house from noon and stayed there often till the evening.
As I said before the rooms are going to look a little worn out. They also have some maintenance issues caused by consistant use of the rooms. But the desk-manager Shay is very friendly and charming and all the staff members are always willing to solve your problem. Not that we had many problems.....
WiFi worked perfectly the whole period and I had excellent access to internet and email. The rooms were cleaned properly and there was no lack of clean towels. Breakfast is simple but sufficient and included!
I have to admit one thing, the breakfast room is awful. Most of the tables waddle because of loose tablelegs. The decoration and the furnishing is very minor and inefficient. (My suggestion would be to put the two spaces together, redecorate it thoroughly and refurnish it in a more snug and comfortable way. But we were able to have breakfast there anyway.)
There's a swimming pool and some people used it with pleasure, but it's situated at the front of the hotel just on the I35. We didn't feel attracted to it.
After all we've had a good stay there and for the purpose it's very recommendable.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank HansN46
Austin
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Wifi is terrible, I had to call the front desk numerous times to have them "reset" the Internet. It'll work for about 5 minutes, then it tells me that "there's limited access". Bathroom sucks. The sink knob is all weird. You have to turn it perfectly to the center for the water to turn off. The shower rail came off as I was using it to hold on to.... Tv has no remote control. Maintenance everywhere all the time, but really what work are they getting done? I've been here for 3 weeks, and it's aggravating. Would love to leave, but I guess you get what you pay for. Cheap.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels